HRT and breast cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HRT and breast cancer HRT and breast cancer

Unread 10-20-2010, 09:56 AM
HRT and breast cancer

With all the new info thats out on HRT and breast cancer im really confused on what to do . Dr's are now saying DONT take HRT. What are yalls input on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Re: HRT and breast cancer

Hi Leather!

What has your doctor told you? I know the "news" today is about the increased risk of breast cancer using hormone therapy. Google the story and you'll find that the story isn't really new. They are still talking about the combination hormone therapy drug called Prempro--it's the synthetic progesterone that is being implicated in the increased risk, just as it was years ago when there was a hormone therapy scare.

I'm not going to stop taking my hormone therapy. I continue to have an annual well woman checkup. I have an annual mammogram as well as pelvic and breast exams along with a Pap (vaginal vault smear). All is well so far and my doctor is on board with my wish to continue using hormone therapy.

Please discuss any questions or concerns you have with your doctor. While news can be helpful in alerting us to information, it's important to follow up with research and direct our questions to our own medical providers.

Unread 10-20-2010, 04:24 PM

The IACP (International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists) released a lengthy statement today which included this comment:

Quote:
The estrogen used by the patients in the study was Premarin (conjugated equine estrogens 0.625mg). Not estriol, estradiol or other estrogens used by compounders. Premarin is not considered to be a “bio-identical” hormone.
Medroxyprogesterone acetate 0.25mg was used, not progesterone as some media outlets have reported.
Neither the estrogen nor the progestin taken by the patients in this study are bioidentical hormones. Bioidentical hormones were not studied.
Source: http://iacprx.convio.net/site/PageSe...7xsyc1.app209c

Here's a link to the abstract of the actual article being discussed in the "news":

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/304/15/1684

Since the data are limited to users of Prempro in the WHI study, they don't even apply to most women posting here, as Prempro is generally only prescribed to women who still have a uterus (with the possible exception of certain women with a history of endometriosis).

I see nothing new here, only a further attempt to alarm women and frighten them away from their HRT. Also keep in mind that, as I heard on the Early Show this morning, the slight increase in risk is offset, more or less, by the decreased risk of colon cancer and heart disease in women on HRT. Talk with your doctor about the tradeoffs and risks in your particular situation.

As for me, I don't plan to make any changes based on these reports.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2010, 06:22 PM

Awesome info! Thanks surferbabe & April Dawn.
Unread 10-20-2010, 06:37 PM

thank u for the info
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:05 AM

That's what I thought, too! Same report as before!!! Can somebody tell me, then - why is it all in the news now, at this particular time, if nothing new has been found? Why are they reporting it as though it IS something new?

Sigh. Oh my. Right about the time I think I'm beginning to understand this stuff (sort of, a little bit ...) something shows up that completely contradicts something else I've been reading.
Unread 10-24-2010, 05:16 PM

I went to the American Cancer Society's site and was reading about the Women's Health Initiative study as it relates to women on ERT and their breast cancer risk. Here is a quote from cancer.org:

"Part of the WHI looked at women who had had a hysterectomy, and whose ovaries were either removed or had stopped working. Those who were taking only estrogens did not have an increased risk of breast cancer."

If you are interested in reading more, go to cancer.org and type in WHI in the search engine. I don't have the right to post links yet.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register