Hysterectomy and Pap Smears | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy and Pap Smears Hysterectomy and Pap Smears

Unread 11-03-2001, 11:25 AM
Hysterectomy and Pap Smears

Hello All I registered here back in 96 when I first had my hysterectomy, but Lord knows I cannot remember what our email was at that time. Since we have added DSL since then, I am sure it's not the same, so I re-registered!

Anyway, I have what is probably a dumb question, but... I had a TVH (kept ovaries) for cervical cancer ".....extrensive squamous cell carcinoma in situ (CIN III/HGSIL) with extensive gland involvement but no breach of the basement membrane and no invasion is seen. The tumor extends from the junctional region well up the endocervical canal but no definitive extension off of the endocervical margin is seen". in September of 96. My doctor retired soon after that. I have had a pap smear since then, but it was about 3 years ago. I no longer have an OB/GYN and don't really want my current PCP doing a pap smear (he's good for aches and pains, but not much more than that!) and I'm not sure why I need to have PAPs done anymore. If the uterus is gone, the cervix is gone, what is left? Is there a connection between cervical cancer and ovarian cancer?

Thanks for any help!

Love & Hugs,
Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2001, 02:38 PM

It is my understanding that the area at the top of the vagina is very similar to the tissues of the cervix, and since there is no "dotted line" for the surgeon when removing the cervix, some of this tissue can remain. There is also a slight risk of vaginal cancer. In my case, I didn't have any cancer, but had serveral "less than normal" paps in the 4-5 years prior to my surgery. My MD wants to do a pap on me every other year.

Unread 11-03-2001, 02:55 PM

Hi Sharon,
Glad to hear you're doing ok.

My understanding also is that you should have Pap smears every so many years because you can get cervical cancer appearing in the vagina and labia. Also, since most cervical cancers are related to a virus, the presence of that virus means there is still a limited risk.

So, an occasional Pap smear is prudent. There have been several ladies here who have had cancer go vaginal so it can happen.

Since you kept your ovaries, I understand that pelvic exams are a good idea also.

How about finding a nice nurse practioner? I used to go to a clinic like that. Made it all very pleasant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2001, 11:00 PM

Hi Sharon, as far as I know pap smears are recommended even after a hysterectomy . I have to have one every 3 mths at the moment. There is always the chance of vaginal cancer . The usual time I think is once every 2 years. If you are unsure of your DR doing one ,why not find a trusted gyno ?

I was told by my oncologist that cervical and ovarian are two different cancers. You take care x x x
Unread 11-05-2001, 06:05 PM

The need to continue pap smears even after a hyst is so that the doc can check for vaginal cancer. During the exam the doc would also ask question and examine you for ovarian troubles, and labia as well. Please make yourself an appt as soon as you can. You owe it to yourself!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register