Surgical Menopause and Thyroid function | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgical Menopause and Thyroid function Surgical Menopause and Thyroid function

Unread 10-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Lightbulb - Surgical Menopause and Thyroid function Surgical Menopause and Thyroid function

Has anyone experienced problems with thyroid after having a complete hysterectomy. I did not have any problems with my thyroid until recently and I am one year post op. I started a new job and have felt fatigued, then had blood drawn and they said my TSH was a little high. I am wondering if the lack of hormones from the hysterectomy has contributed to my thyroid issues. I chose not to treat it because the T3 and T4 were still within normal range, although at the lower end of it. But now and wondering if its NOT the new job but rather the thyroid causing me to feel so sluggish. Anyone have any insight??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Re: Surgical Menopause and Thyroid function

Yes, it is not that uncommon to develop thyroid issues whilst in menopause. It happened to me, and I found out a few years later that most of the women in my family developed thyroid issues post menopause. Hormones are a delicate balance and one thing off balance can set off a chain reaction.

Unread 10-24-2010, 01:37 PM

Thanks Kim!! Did you have issues with thyroid? Are you taking something for it? I just don't want to have to take drugs the rest of my life for something as simple as thyroid, but everyone I talk to says it can affect so many other things. I am not sure if my family doctor or my oncologist are the right doctors to be talking to in relation to this. They both suggest treating it, but could it be simply that I don't have as much estrogen or progesterone in my system therefore causing the thyroid function to be out of whack? I wish there was a clear answer, but no one seems to know a definitive answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2010, 03:47 PM

Thus far, I have done well with a Thyroid supplement called Thyrosol. At one point my levels were dipping again, I upped my daily intake and the levels came back up. I do think, at some point, I will have to take a prescription med, but for now the Thyrosol is doing the job.

Do keep in mind that my problem is the opposite of yours, my levels are too low. My aunt had the issue of a too high thyroid. She was on meds for awhile, but eventually went off them. She is doing well now, not sure what exactly she is taking. Next time I talk with her, I will ask.
Unread 10-24-2010, 04:05 PM

I think you're both talking about the same thyroid issue, actually TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is high because the thyroid function is low. Hypothyroid.

I've known I was hypothyroid since I was diagnosed around age 40, but I was undertreated for most of the past 13 years (we lived overseas until a few months ago).

I am still wading thru a lot of information about hormones, surgical menopause and hypothyroid issues since my hysterectomy!!! But I think getting the thyroid where it needs to be is absolutely vital. I sure wouldn't ignore that. I've been on Synthroid for many years - more recently my (new) doctor just put me on Armour thyroid. I'm feeling pretty good at this point. Just 8 weeks post-op, however, so all kinds of levels need to settle down. I'm also on bi-est and progesterone. Will be interesting to see where we go from here - this stuff is all interrelated ...

But over the years, I've noticed that even just little tweaks to my thyroid medication makes a difference in my energy levels.

I'd recommend that you do some reading on thyroid issues - if your TSH is even just "a bit high", that's worth addressing. There's a lot of research out there that says just relying on lab levels alone may be misleading and that the acceptable range (for TSH) that was used in the past may really be too high for many women. You really need to pay attention to how you're feeling.
Unread 10-24-2010, 09:38 PM

Thanks Ladies,

My TSH was only 8.5 but my T3 T4 were at the lower end of the normal spectrum. I have not taken any HRT since my hysterectomy, however I did start using a vaginal cream to help with dryness and pain during intercourse. I know that the hormones are all interrelated but it just seems like doctors want to pop a pill in your mouth before they even begin to look at what could really be going on. I am not one to just take a pill and wish for the best. I want to do what is right for my body. I have been doing some research on my own regarding hormones in general, but haven't really come up with anything concrete that says YES your thyroid problem IS related to your hysterectomy. I never had any trouble until now. One year post op (Oct 15th).
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:13 PM

Isn't 8.5 considered "high"? Out of the typical range of what is considered "normal" for most labs, anyway (at least I think so)

One year post-op ... sure seems like more than a coincidence to me. And perhaps your thyroid has not been functioning quite right for a little while already. Had you had your levels tested before?

Mary Shomon's book - The Menopause Thyroid Solution - is informative. I'm working my way through it. Along with other things as well.

I'm with you at not liking doctors who want you to pop a pill for this or that without bothering to really find out what is going on!!! Hope you can find some solutions soon!
Unread 10-25-2010, 05:57 AM

Being hypothyroid also impacted my cholesterol level. Once I was started on Synthroid my cholesterol level went back down.
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:18 PM

Thanks Ladies!! I am not sure they ever tested it before. Not sure what prompted them to do so this time beside the fact that I told them I wanted to check my hemoglobin to make sure I was staying in the normal range as I was anemic last physical and just wanted to be sure because I was feeling a bit tired and fatigued again. My cholesterol was also high and it was normal before my surgery. It just seems to that this is all related to ALL the hormonal changes. They all work together. For now I have chosen not to treat it, but will have to check it again in 3 to 4 month's. I just attributed the tiredness to working for the most part, but when you have had healthy issues in the past you tend to be more careful.
Unread 10-27-2010, 10:00 PM

I have had issues with my thyroid for about 20 years, after the birth of my last child. At the time, it was considered in the high "normal" range--so I had no medication. About 8 years ago I was put on medication for it. I have no problem taking a little pill every morning, and will for the rest of my life! The symptoms in energy levels, hair loss, weight gain, constipation....the list goes on--are gone! I feel SO much better. Many, many women have thyroid issues. Happens to run in my family, 97 yr old grandma has it, mother has it, sister has it. Wouldn't ever want to run out of my thyroid meds...ever!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register