Looking for the right hormone replacement for me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking for the right hormone replacement for me Looking for the right hormone replacement for me

Unread 10-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Looking for the right hormone replacement for me

I had a LAVH BSO six weeks ago. Looking for the right hormone replacement for me. Presently taking Vivelle dots, bioidentical testosterone pellets, and progesterone cream. Would like some feed back on this treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Re: Looking for the right hormone replacement for me

Hi

Wow, you started a lot of hormone treatment all at once! Typically, Dr's like to begin one hormone at a time (usually estrogen) and find a good dose for you before adding in another one. Some of the symptoms of too much of one, may also be symptoms of not enough of another. When you begin, or change more than one dose at a time, it can be difficult to know what is causing the symptom.

Also, were your testosterone levels tested? Many women don't need a constant dosing of testosterone that the pellets provide, and if the dose is not quite right, you can't immediately change what you are getting with the pellets.

However, how are you feeling? Each one of us has different HRT needs and what is most important is how YOU are feeling on your HRT. If you are not having any negative symptoms, then it might be right for you. While most women require some adjustments during the first year, there are some who get lucky and begin the HRT that is the perfect choice for them.

Kay
Unread 10-25-2010, 02:39 PM

For nine years, I was on Estrogen and Progesterone bioidentical cream from Women's International Pharmacy. I went on Estrogen and Testosterone pellets two years ago with my regular OBGYN/s substitute, who administers the pellets. They did not test me enough. Started to go to Sottopelle. They started me on the Testosterone pellets with 0.025 Vivelle dots and progesterone pills. Six weeks ago I had my hysterectomy. Now, I am on the same 0.025 Vivelle dots and I still have the Testosterone in me. It lasts four months and I am going into my thrid month. Sottopelle tests me every four months before they insert the pellet. Lately, on my own, I started taking progesterone. Some people say don't have to take progesterone after a hysterectomy and some say you should.

Even though Sottopelle tests you more ofter than others, it is quite expensive and am thinking about just taking the bioidentical Testosterone cream from Women's International Pharmacy and continuing with the Vivelle dots. Don't know about the progesterone cream. Plan on getting tested through my regular OBGYN and taking a copy of the results to my Naturalpathic doctor to read. My regular OBGYN claims that she doesn't know much about bioidentical horones. Our insurance will cover her test, but not a test from my Naturalpathic doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Hi,

I would like to encourage you to find a Dr who is knowledgeable about surgical menopause and HRT. Since you have had your ovaries removed, your hormone needs have changed.

Do you have a compounding pharmacist in your area? I found my best Dr by asking the compounding pharmacist for a referral for a Dr who prescribes HRT based on individual need.

I am not familiar with Naturalpathic Doctors. So I can't give you much input there. Except to say that the OTC products that work well for women who have their ovaries, don't work for women who have had their ovaries removed.

I'm guessing that if the .25 Vivelle Dot was working well for you when you had your ovaries, that you will probably need a higher dose now.

Some women do better with progesterone, and some don't seem to need it. I feel my best when I am using progesterone along with my estrogen. The most important thing is that however many different hormones you are taking, they all have to be balanced

I know many women are also happy using pellets, but I know that there are times when I need to make adjustments, and I prefer using a method that can be quickly changed in dosages.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register