SAH (Supra cervical abdominal hyst) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SAH (Supra cervical abdominal hyst) SAH (Supra cervical abdominal hyst)

Unread 10-25-2010, 02:52 PM
SAH (Supra cervical abdominal hyst)

I just got back from the Drs office. He is not only my regular ob/gyn but also the surgeon who will be operating on me December 1. I had alot of questions for him, and I am really really nervous. I will be having a 20 week uterus removed, as well as having an umbilical hernia repair, leaving my cervix and my ovaries intact. My incision should be right under my bellybutton to my pubic bone. Staples removed 7-8 days after surgery.

I asked him about the possibility of having an epidural, and he said that he doesn't like to use them because to him it is most important to get the patient up and walking as soon as possible.

I asked him about bending and moving right after surgery and he said that if it does not hurt to do it, then do it! That I "won't be an invalid", and might be surprised what I can do. He said that climbing stairs and sleeping in my bed should not be a real problem.

I asked him if he uses gas to blow up the area so that he can get to the organs easily and he said no. I asked him if I can start using Gas X 3 days before the surgery, and he said there is no reason why I can't, but he can't see it helping me a whole lot.

There is no bowel prep, and no diet restrictions at all.

Also, I am a snake breeder. My adults will be in the basement in brumation in tubs. I have people who will come once a week and change their water as there is alot of bending and lifting involved, even though the tubs with snakes are not heavy, there are quite a few of them. The dr seems to think that I will be able to handle that about a month out. However, I also have yearlings and hatchlings that will be upstairs and need to be fed. The hatchlings in their tubs are all under the 5 pound limit on lifting, but I am wondering how hard it will be to take care of them. I do have help if I need it, so I shouldn't worry so much....

Please, any systers with an abdominal procedure like mine, how hard was the day to day moving around the first 2 weeks? My doctor said that the meds won't take away alll my pain, but that he is sure I will be pleasantly surprised that recovery won't be as bad as I am imaging it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Re: SAH (Supra cervical abdominal hyst)

I didn't have an abdominal hysterectomy as mine was vaginal so my experience is different. Yes, walking is important. It will help keep your circulation going and it also helps with gas. You won't be walking fast and you won't be running laps but you probably will be walking as soon as possible. It may or may not be until the morning after your surgery, but your nurses will help you. I didn't have a bowel prep before my surgery either and I didn't need any Gas X.

I hope someone who had a SAH will be along soon to share their story. I wish you the very best!

Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register