Not Scheduled da vinci hysterectomy ???'s | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

da vinci hysterectomy ???'s da vinci hysterectomy ???'s

Unread 10-27-2010, 02:56 PM
da vinci hysterectomy ???'s

Hi all! I am 34 years old and I've had a problem with debilitating periods for the past year. Heavy flow, horrible cramps, nausea, headaches, ALL the fun stuff So, I finally couldn't stand anymore and saw my midwife, she gave me the option of b.c. pills, an IUD, or ablation. I said ablation so she referred me to a dr in the practice to get a pelvic ultrasound. I had my ultrasound this past Tuesday and the dr found a fibroid in my uterus and said this was most likely part of the reason for my symptoms. He said he could do ablation but that he'd like to remove the fibroid first. Then he mentioned the da vinci hysterectomy. I would still have my ovaries and cervix, just my uterus would be removed. I have never even thought of having a hysterectomy so him even bringing it up totally threw me for a loop. I spoke to my midwife and she said that I could have the fibroid removed and the ablation done and that would most likely take care of my issues but after a period of time, the bleeding could come back as well as the fibroids, because of my age. I just wonder if anyone has had the da vinci hysterectomy or even anything similar to what they're recommending for me(removing uterus only, leaving ovaries and cervix). I'm just full of questions and doubts and would appreciate any advice! Thank you all
Crystal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Re: da vinci hysterectomy ???'s

I had the daVinci hysterectomy on 10/19/2010. I also had both tubes and ovaries removed. I also had my gallbladder removed the same day (laprascopic, not daVinci assisted). I have 6 tiny incisions which are healing nicely and very little pain. I had minor bleeding that lasted 3 days. My surgery was at 8am and I was home that evening before 8pm. I am 8 days post-op and really do feel very good. I'm not taking any pain meds. I hope this helps!
Unread 10-27-2010, 03:16 PM

I had a davinci hysterectomy on 9/23....they were able to leave the ovaries, but took the uterus, fallopian tubes, and cervix. I have 4 small incisions which have healed very nicely! I am so happy that I chose to have the surgery! I have felt better than I have in years! I have had minimal pain (not any worse than my cramps used to be) and minimal bleeding. I'll be 5 weeks post op tomorrow and this has been my first week back to work. I'm doing fine other than being really tired!!

Be sure to do lots of research before making your decision! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2010, 03:29 PM

I had the divinci 10/15 I had my uterus and cervix removed. A few months before, I had a dnc to remove polups and fiborids but it didn't help at all, my last options were ablation or hysterectomy. I did lots of research and decided on the divinci hysterectomy. Only being 11 day post-op I feel better than I have in a long long time! I have very little pain and most of it is just the incisions pulling when I over do it. It really is nothing compared to the pain of a period!!! I would do it again in a second! Do your research and do what's best for YOU. Good luck!
Unread 10-27-2010, 04:33 PM

Thanks for all your replies! I did some research yesterday and had more questions than I did before I started researching! I have spoken to alot of friends and family members. My mom and step mom are both against having it done, I have a friend who thinks it's a great idea. I feel much better after having talking with my midwife, I'm almost 100% that I should do it. I have read online that some women who had only their uterus removed still had monthly bleeding. Have any of you experienced this? My midwife said it's very rare with the da vinci technology and from what I read I tend to agree. I just want to ask someone who's been there/done that. And, what about sex? Not just the act but is it the same? I'm pretty sure I'm keeping my cervix and I heard that's the thing that's sexual. Sorry for my lack of finesse, I just have all these questions and my midwife answered them but I need to hear from someone who's had it done. Thanks again!!
Crystal
Unread 10-27-2010, 06:48 PM

cjwagg,

Glad you're getting some of your questions answered. I had a LSH which is like the DaVinci you are considering. The difference is there is no robot assist--just the doc using laparoscopic tools. I kept my cervix, had four 3/4 inch incisions and a very quick recovery. I did have some very light spotting when I was on cyclic HRT but it was nothing. Bleeding from the cervix is rare and when it happens usually doesn't amount to much.

As far as sex, I don't know what it's like without a cervix. If you have problems with sex post-op, it probably won't have much to do with your cervix. I haven't had any problems with keeping my cervix, it was the right choice for me.

As you read the boards you can compare the DaVinci surgery with laparoscopic procedures. Part of the faster recovery with minimally invasive hysters is achieved by keeping your cervix. There is no vaginal cuff to heal which takes a good six weeks.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, you need to make the right decision for YOU. Take your time, a hyster is final--no going back. You can have a hyster if the BCPs, IUD or ablation don't work.

Pat
Unread 10-27-2010, 06:57 PM

hi i had the total dvh one overary on 10/5/10 and i andenomyosis on my uterous and i feel so much i had the amblation years ago and it didnt work me i didnt want to try hormone therapy for andeno so i decided to dvh and im so glad i did im still not at work tell nov 16th good luck to you
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Hi, I didn't have the DaVinci but I had an LSH and only had my uterus removed. I was told that the DaVinci is just a more modern method but ends up with the same result as an LSH. I will tell you this was the easiest thing I ever did. I too had very painful periods with heavy bleeding. I also went to my Gyn thinking I would just have an ablation but when the dr. found a few small fibroids, and an enlarged uterus he recommended the LSH. I also heard that the ablation may not last and it's not a good option for women who have fibroids. I wanted it to be once and done. It was the best decision I ever made. The surgery was almost pain free. I never felt incision pain (I had only 3 very small belly incisions) and only felt a pulling, or pressure sensation where my uterus once was. I was told I could drive immediately as long as I could turn to the side and not on heavy pain meds. I hardly took anything for pain. The recovery for this surgery is phenominal! On day 5 of recovery I was doing dishes, some light laundry, dusting. I felt great! I was expecting it to be alot worse with more downtime. I had my 2 week post op appointment today and my Dr. gave me the ok to return to all my regular activities. Amazing, after just 2 weeks! I would recommend this surgery to anyone! Good luck and best wishes on your decision!
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:59 PM

Hey Crystal-
I'm a little older than you, 49, but just had dvh this summer with removal of uterus only for fibroids. So glad I did it!! I was one of the fortunate ones who had a super-easy & quick recovery w/ no complications. It's so great not having a period anymore!!!
Your questions...
1) No..I've not had the mini-periods some people get when they leave their cervix.
2) Sex is better than ever!! No problems there for either me or hubby!
Having a hysterectomy was one of the best things I've done...lots of my friends and family told me it would be before I had mine. But of my own personal circle of hyster sisters, they are all envious of my quick & easy surgery and recovery by daVinci!!

Good luck..if you have more questions, just ask!!
Di
Unread 10-27-2010, 10:10 PM

Six years ago I had an ablation that truly helped with the bleeding issues I had. But...it didn't last. Bleeding got a little heavier every month. I had a repeat ablation a year ago. It didn't help. I have uterine fibroids and an enlarged uterus. I am now scheduled for a da Vinci hysterectomy Dec. 9th. I plan on keeping my cervix, and ovaries. I know people who have had great luck with ablations, just didn't work well for me..good luck with your choice!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register