I'm A Mess!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm A Mess!!

As a few of us had talked about in some other threads... I am a big worrier and every time something feels odd or uncomfortable, I panic and call the dr office. Heck.. since they don't tell you that any of this stuff could be a side effect, no wonder we all get concerned.

So, my trouble empyting my bladder completely was really making me nervous, cause I fear that it'll lead to infection. So, I called the urologist's office and spoke to the nurse. Since I am on Detrol for my bladder spasms, she wanted to make sure that I was not retaining urine in my bladder, so I went in to get an ultrasound to measure the amount of urine left in my bladder after I "emptied" my bladder. Well, of course there was some left in there after I emptied, but nothing that the dr was concerned about... again... another side effect of these ureter stents... since there are strings hanging into my bladder from the stents (which is how they'll pull them out in a few weeks), the bladder is is constant spasm becuase it doesn't know if the strings are urine or what, so the bladder is constantly trying to get rid of them. So... at least this is normal for my situation.

Then, I asked them about my frequent bowel movements and they had me take a bm sample to the local hospital to get it tested for c dif since I'd had two rounds of Cipro since my surgeries... I really don't think it's c dif, though, because my movements are not loose.. just lots of them.. lol I'll find out about the results in a few days, I'm guessing. So, they told me to increase my fiber intake... so I have and now I've got terrible gas.... did this happen to anyone that was told to increase fiber??

So... AAARRGGHHHH ... I'm just a paranoid MESS!!!! I feel like a wus getting all worried about every little thing... but I've never been through any of this before, so I don't know what is normal and what is not.

Anywho... just had to get that off my chest... sorry for venting. I just can't wait to get these stents out in a few weeks and hopefully feel normal again!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Re: I'm A Mess!!

That must be irritating to have those strings in there!! Your poor bladder. And poor you! (((( ))))
Unread 11-03-2010, 05:49 PM

I hear ya honey...I am a worrier as well and every little ache and pain I have freaks me out

Because we have never had a hyster before its a new experience and didnt come with a handbook as to all that can and will happen..so of course we worry and look to our doctors for answers..that is NORMAL..

I assume that those that didnt have post op complications are just breezing through..where those of us that have had complications..worry that there will be more.

Lets take a deep breath and know that with the help of others and our doctors that WE WILL get through all this

Light and love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2010, 08:00 PM

Hi Beth...
I am a huge proponent of a high fiber diet but found that after the surgery I couldn't do as much fiber as I did before. After several weeks of being in the bathroom all the time, and having terrible gas - and gas pains - I cut back. I know I read you were doing activia -- I had a hard time with that yogurt - I switched over to Stonyfield organic. It has all the good live bacteria in it.
I'm a worrier to - and experienced such wacky bladder issues before and after this surgery - I am happy to report that this week I feel like my bladder is finally normal. It now empties completely and I don't feel anymore pressure, and best of all, I'm not running to the bathroom all the time (if it wasn't for one reason it was for another UGH). If its too full though I do feel some discomfort as it empties. I'm at the 9 week mark for the surgery for the hematoma -- so it definitely took my bladder awhile to bounce back.
I really thought a few weeks ago that I was never going to feel normal again - and now this week I feel totally like a different person. I know exactly how you are feeling - I had a few days where I had myself convinced I had IBS, was getting yeast infections, and was never going to have a normal feeling bladder ever again. Happy to report that I am just a hypochondriac sometimes.
I think my 2nd surgery freaked me out a little and I was constantly worried that something else was going to go wrong.
Hope you start feeling better soon!!!!!
Unread 11-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Thx ladies for the words of encouragement. You have all been so supportive!!!

Melanie - you know you are right.. maybe part of my gassiness is the yogurt. I am going to try the Stoneybrook Farm brand.
And, good to hear that your bladder is finally back to feeling so good!! That is awesome. I have to remember that I am not even 4 wks post op yet. Never having had major surgery before, I don't know how soon and how much to push myself. But, I'm learning . Thx for sharing your similar struggles and successes with me. It helps a lot!!!
Unread 11-03-2010, 09:10 PM

you have stents in both your ureters? wow!!! i had a stent in one ureter after a stuck kidney stone 2 years ago, for six weeks it felt like i was being stabbed with knitting needles in the crotch and i needed to be on morphine almost the entire time, i feel for you
hugs your way
Unread 11-04-2010, 07:42 AM

yep, Laurie --

2 of them :-( i'm either getting used to the pain or its getting a little better... the pain is worst when I have to pee or right after I pee when the bladder is still trying to get rid of the string in my bladder.. lol... i am taking Detrol LA for spasms which has helped tremendously... 3 more weeks from yesterday till these bad boys come out!!!!!!
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:10 AM

I was given very little information, due to the fact my doctor speaks very little English, so I read a lot here. I was very lucky that I had very little problems or none to say. The frequent bowel movements I do have and soft, you would think I take laxatives, haven't needed to. I think if this keeps up will buy stock in a toilet paper company
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:16 AM

bharris,

You are not alone with your bladder issues as I too am having issues with my bladder..not emptying properly...I pee and then stop and pee and stop again. Doctor encouraged me to do Keigle exercises to tighten my bladder and she said it will take time for my bladder to be retrained as prior to my surgery, I had to pee like every 10 minutes due to the massive fibroid I had. So my brain and bladder is not used to having a normal size bladder now. So hang in there...you are not alone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register