Cream, gel, patch? Which should I use? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cream, gel, patch?  Which should I use? Cream, gel, patch? Which should I use?

Unread 11-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Cream, gel, patch? Which should I use?

Did any of you use a cream first or did you all start off and stay with the patch? I haven't started yet and I was thinking of using a cream or gel. Do all of you recommend the patch instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Re: Cream, gel, patch? Which should I use?

Hello!

I started out on a pill, then I switched to a different pill, then creams and finally settled on the Vivelle Dot, which is a bio-identical estrogen patch. Of all I have tried, I like Vivelle Dot the best. It's convenient and effective for me.

We're all different when it comes to what works and what doesn't so you may have to experiment some to find what works best for you. Perhaps your doctor has samples of different estrogens for you to try before you commit to a prescription. Whatever you try, be sure to give it several weeks to work before trying something else. It takes a while for any hormone therapy to reach optimal levels. Early in recovery hormone levels are fluctuating as the body heals from surgery and as the hormones your ovaries produced deplete over time so don't be surprised if you have menopause symptoms even while using hormones until things stabilize.

Discuss the options with your doctor and let us know what you decide to use, okay?

Unread 11-05-2010, 09:02 AM

Hi

I agree with everything ((((April Dawn))) said.

I started out with a Climara patch, then creams, then Vivelle Dot patch, then found the compounded troche (dissolves in mouth) is the best fit for me.

We are all different and have to find that which works well for us, sometimes through trial and error. But some women get lucky and find that perfect fit the first try.

Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2010, 11:50 AM

I started on the Climara patch and switched to Estradiol pill. I already take other meds, so remembering to take it isn't a problem. I found the effects of the patch to wear off after a few days. I love my little blue pill! The good thing is, there are so many options out there, in doses, brands and the way it is administered. You may have to try several different things before you find what is right for you. I would ask your Doctor for samples to save money while you figure out what is best for you. I hate paying for meds only to find out they don't work or have bad side effects.

Good luck to you!
Unread 11-05-2010, 02:56 PM

At pre op appointments, my doctor had mentioned creams or gels but after surgery he started me off with the Vivelle patch. I did have hot flashes and night sweats in the beginning but it was a very hot summer.... After about 14 weeks I started feeling 'right' with the dosage. The patch is easy to use, easy to take along on trips and stays on well, even in the pool, hot tub, showers, etc. I don't seem to notice that I am due for a new patch; it's very smooth.
Unread 11-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corlaprof View Post
After about 14 weeks I started feeling 'right' with the dosage. .
This is a key issue. Immediately following having your ovaries removed, your body will use up the supply of estrogen which it had stored. This length of time varies from individual to individual, and it is common to experience hot flashes no matter what HRT you are using.

My suggestion is to choose a method that seems easiest or best for you, and stick with it for several months, giving your body a chance to adjust to it's new source of hormones.

Kay
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM

Thanks for all of the input. I have been on the Vivelle Dot for about 4 days now and I am still experiencing symptoms. I guess it is too soon to know whether it is working for me or not. I will have to have patience and see how it goes the next month or so.
I am thinking about getting a saliva test and getting a personalized hormone replacement regimen from a compounding pharmacy. People seem to be very happy with that choice. Any feedback on that?
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:46 AM

I use a troche (dissolves in my mouth), which is made for me by a compounding pharmacy. Both my Dr and my Pharmacist prefer to go by blood tests, because it shows what is actually available in your blood , not what is being disposed of in the saliva.

I like using the troche, but am mostly using it by default. I have allergies to the adhesive in the patch and also to the gels. I didn't absorb the estrogen in the cream form, and because of other meds I have been on, the pill form was ruled out for my liver's sake.

There are women who are happy and love all of the forms of HRT. Compounding can be a little bit pricier though, depending on your insurance.

There are many choices, which is great for us.

kay
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:59 AM

Thank you, Kay. I will discuss the blood test vs saliva route with my doctors at my first post-op appt today. Do you know whether it is okay to take all of the supplements like black cohosh, chaste tree berry and other balancing herbs etc at the same time as using HRT? Or is it counter-productive or even harmful? I will ask the doctors about that too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register