Scheduled TVH Return to Work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Return to Work Return to Work

Unread 11-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Return to Work

I'm scheduled for a TVH in mid-January.

I have an office job--do you think I'll be able to return to work a week or two after the surgery?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Re: Return to Work

I have an office job too. Everyone is different and please know that your doctor will need to release you before going back to work. No, I do not recommend going back that soon. I am so glad that I have 6 weeks off. I am 2 weeks and 3 days post op. There is no way I would be able to make it through a day of sitting at my work. There is alot of physical and mental healing to do. That is my opinion. You will have to do what feels right for yourself. This is major surgery...you need to heal.
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:40 PM

I also had a TVH. As a part-time college professor at the time of my surgery, I had to teach only a couple classes a few days a week, and I was able to put my feet up whenever I wanted.

At four weeks, I returned to work--and I was stunned at how fatigued I was. Even sitting vertically for one hour made me sore and swollen. I managed at four weeks, but I think even at three weeks I would've been pushing it.

My advice is to take as much time as you're entitled to. You have only one chance to heal right, and there's no reason to push yourself.

That said, you might ask for more time--and then if you are feeling better, return early. Also, if there is an option to work just part-time for a few days to ease yourself back into the routine, that can be helpful as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2010, 11:25 AM

When my physician's assistant (my primary GYN provider) and the surgeon started talking hysterectomy, they both said 2-4 weeks for a TAH BSO. That really surprised me!

I started asking around where I work and found that NO ONE I talked with had returned to work at our office/desk type job after only 2 weeks, and only one had come back at around 4 weeks, regardless of the type of hysterectomy they had.

Most who had any type of hysterectomy stayed out between 4-8 weeks, depending on how they were feeling and their financial situation, with 6 weeks being the average.

I told this to my to my P.A. because I was worried that they were going to push me to go back to work at 2-3 weeks because my job doesn't involve any lifting of more than a few pounds of paper files and that I can take a break (including lying down) any time I need to. Thinking that I would be expected to return to work so soon after a major surgery scared me because I've been working for months feeling like crap and don't want to go back to work after surgery until I really feel OK--I'm already worn down and I am looking forward to finally feeling better after this is over with.

She told me that she and the surgeon are fine with whatever amount of time I want to take off work, but if everything is going OK, they would probably release me to go back to my job after only 2 weeks if *I* wanted to. They have some women to can't financially afford to be out longer than that, but I certainly don't have to go back that soon if I don't want to. She thought 4 weeks was doable for me and my work/general health situation, but she thought that if I could afford to do so, stay out 6 weeks. That's what I'm aiming for.

I hope that helps with your decision. Don't do too much too soon.
Unread 11-07-2010, 01:20 PM

I'm a little worried about it all too cause, I'm a nurses aide.. LOTS of heavy lifting and transferring patients. I have no idea when I'll be able to return to work again. Although, after my c sec I was back to work i 3 wks, and the day I came home from the hospital I was lugging laundry baskets around and almost back to my normal home routine. But I'm one of those "Meh, I'm fine" types, who merely take the dr's instructions as suggestions.... So I'll too have to talk to my dr about it. I can't afford to miss ANY work, and sine I'm and on-call employee i don't qualify for sick days, vacation time, benefits, OR FMLA... fabulous... I HAVE to have my paycheck every month to help float our family.. so this will be fun fun fun..
Unread 11-07-2010, 03:04 PM

I would not have been able to go back even to a desk job until after 6 weeks. You will be surprised how tired you get. I would take as much time as you can because you want to heal correctly.
Unread 11-07-2010, 08:28 PM

OK, thanks so much for the input everyone!
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:32 PM

I am almost 3 wkd post op and I hope to return to wrk at 3 1/2 - 4 wks post op. I too have a desk job. I intend to have my Dr (who asked me when he called to check on me at 5 days post op if I had gone to the office because he knows I am stubborn) release me back to work PART TIME as tolerated for at least a month. I figure if I can go in for a few hours a day and can leave if I need to then it's no different then sitting at home.

That's just my opinion.
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:43 PM

Oh wow I didn't think about this too much, but my Dr told me 3-4 weeks for sure and then she would see how I am doing... I am in the police field and could get into an ulgy situation at any moment... I will most likly go on "Desk Duty" for a couple of weeks at least when I return to work... When it is all said and done I will know best, right:-)???

I am having LSH so maybe that is less invasive because they are not cutting the stomach muscles...
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:47 PM

@Dai: I had LAVH 2 1/2 wks ago and am feeling pretty good physically. I KNOW I couldn't do street duty if I were a police officer at this point, but desk duty I think I could handle at 3-4 wks. I still won't sweep, mop, pick up baskets of clothes, deep bending, etc, but I AM already driving and doing short shopping trips.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register