Worst case scenario...realized | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worst case scenario...realized Worst case scenario...realized

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Worst case scenario...realized

So, I went to my doc for severe bleeding and was considering ablation. Due to the size of my fybroids, my insurance company wouldn't cover ablation - it was hysterectomy or nothing.

So, we decided on a laproscopic procedure, taking the ovaries but leaving the cervix. I come out of surgery with a vertical abdominal hysterectomy instead.

Apparently, my uterus which was thought to be oversized at 14 cm was absolutely huge...it took up the entire pelvic floorarea and weighed over 2 lbs!!!! There was no way at all to remove it without cutting me completely open. I also had more large fybroids and endometriosis all over one side.

We had no clue whatsoever that there was anything at all that bad going on. I had no other symptoms. The ultrasound didn't show anything anywhere near that bad. It seems my uterus was completely taking over my abdominal cavity. It's not at all the result we wanted but as of right now,I'm very glad that we got it out when we did.

I'm 2 days post-op and still having lots of pain but am at home and resting. Hopefully the worst is behind us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Re: Worst case scenario...realized

i'm so sorry you had to experience worse than you had anticipated. But... I'm very glad that they got that uterus out of you. I'm sure you will be sooo much better now that it is gone!!

Take care of yourself and I wish you a speedy recovery!!
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:33 PM

Sorry to hear that you ended up with the worst case scenario but glad they caught it early. Just be good to yourself and take it easy. Sending hugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:44 PM

I bet you are glad the gigantic uterus is gone!! Hopefully, you will be on the road to feeling better in the short and long term!!! It is interesting that with all the technology that is available, some things are still a mystery within our own bodies. I hope your recovery is uneventful. Best wishes!!!
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:59 PM

It's a blessing they got it all out!!!

Last year, I had a doctor talk me into an ablation. Less than a year later, I had to have a hysterectomy. I wish I'd had the hysterectomy last year. My case was also worse than the ultrasound showed. It's a good thing you didn't wait. Hang in there!!! Take it easy!!!
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:11 PM

I'm sorry it ended up being worse than you thought and the recovery tougher. But think of it this way, and I truly don't mean to be snarky, the real worst case scenario would have been finding cancer or not surviving surgery. So, while it was not what you expected, hopefully all pathology will come back clean. Best wishes to you
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:23 PM

Sorry that you had more than you thought but glad it is out.
This is my story, I went for pap and ultra sound, Dr said everything looked fine, then after 3 trips to get results of pap test finally get them and another Dr tells me to go have more test done looking for cancer.
So I go to another Dr. and without even doing a exam, just reading the results and measurements from other dr's ultrasound says you have a very enlarged uterus and will need a hysterectomy. I am fine with this then she does her exam and says I have 2 masses one in the cervix and one in the uterus, why didn't the first dr. tell me this when she examined me. Biopsy comes back, cancer present, then have to have a cone biopsy to find out how bad, one of the masses is cancer but the other isn't, few days later off for my hysterectomy TAH thats ok I'm 52 don't need it anymore, no problems easy recovery, they did find endemetrosis in one of my tubes, dr also told my husband I had the largest uterus she had ever seen.
I am feeling great and soon you will be too I am week 8
Unread 11-06-2010, 01:22 PM

I have a feeling that you will start to feel better every day as your body recovers. It has to be a shock to suddenly discover you had all this going on and were not having problems. It is good that they found this and have taken care of the problem. Sending healing hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register