Help! Cervix or no cervix? Why is this important? Does it effect sexual satisfaction? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help! Cervix or no cervix? Why is this important? Does it effect sexual satisfaction? Help! Cervix or no cervix? Why is this important? Does it effect sexual satisfaction?

Unread 11-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Help! Cervix or no cervix? Why is this important? Does it effect sexual satisfaction?

I keep seeing the distintion between cervix or no cervix and I am wondering what the difference is? I am so frustrated because I feel I was not properly informed about anything prior to my surgery. I wish I had found this website BEFORE surgery so I could have been informed or at least I would have known what questions to ask. Should I have demanded to keep my cervix? Why or why not?

I was so concerned with having ovarian cancer that I did not even think about asking any other questions and my doctors offered no information or options. Now that I am happily cancer free (all ovarian tumors were benign), I am most concerned with issues involving a quick recovery and sexual healing and satisfaction (which didn't cross my mind pre-surgery with the cancer scare).

Help hyster sisters! Do we want to keep our cervix and why? Maybe someone else will be helped by knowing this in advance. I have my first post-op today and I don't even know if I have a cervix still or not. That might be question #1.

Thank you and ((HUGS)) to all going through this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Re: Help! Cervix or no cervix? Why is this important? Does it effect sexual satisfact

effect=affect. ugh. hate when i do that.
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Re: Help! Cervix or no cervix? Why is this important? Does it effect sexual satisfact

Hi, I had my hysterectomy due to a cancer scare too. They took my cervix, and six months later I can't really tell the difference. They only difference in the way I feel is I no longer have back problems and I don't bleed constantly. As for the sex part, it feels the same. My husband was deployed when I had the surgery and we had to wait five months, but aside from feeling a little tight a first, there is little difference. Things will get better, just give yourself a little time.

As for the question about why the doctor didn't tell you that you could keep it, in cases there cancer is the reason I think they usually take it. It is part of the uterus. Some of the other ladies on here might be more help with that question. Feel better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM

I think it should be the goal of any doctor to help you keep whatever parts you can... but sometimes it comes down to weighing the benefits versus the possible harm.

Fibroids and endo can grow very happily from the cervix tissue which can cause problems down the line - in fact this is one reason some women have to have it removed down the line.

Also - keeping the cervix & ovaries can allow for a monthly "mini-period" where you can still have bleeding and cramping. Not all women experience this - but I've seen a good handful on this site alone.

Some doctors suggest that keeping the cervix is good for stability within the vagina.... other doctors say it has little to no effect.

In my case - it had to go. I was ready to be totally free and clear of periods, cramps, bleeding and pain. I was nervous because you do read where women have difficulties in their sexual experiences after the fact. My heart goes out to them and I consider myself very lucky to be able to offer much more positive feedback. I had my TVH in July - kept ovaries but uterus & cervix went bye bye. I dealt with the usual after surgery bleeding (very light) and haven't had any since that finished. No period cramps + no bleeding = one very happy gal!!

The first time or two with sex may not be toe curling ... but I think that can be said regardless of the type of hysterectomy. It really is like the "first time" all over again. But...after that.....WOW It feels great - Big "O" is still there and easy to achieve and my libidio hasn't changed at all; well, that may not be true because I think I want it even more often now. My poor hubby might just need an ice pack
Okay....TMI perhaps but I know the questions I was asking myself when I was in your shoes. Hopefully my answers help a bit
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:08 AM

Well, thank you! That does clear it up a bit. I guess it is really not that big a deal then. In my case, since they were going in through my old c-section incision to take out the ovary/ovarian tumors, they suggested taking out the uterus (which had fibroids as well) at the same time. I didn't even research that part of the surgery or think about it one way or another. I wish I had. I really didn't have many complications from the uterus/fiborids. However, I guess I could have developed problems and the fact that it is gone (probably the cervix too) is a good thing in the end (although, I do wish I had been given information and choices upfront). Anyway, took care of it all in one fell swoop and hoping that all good things are forthcoming. You both sound very pleased and satisfied. I hope I am as lucky as you are.... down the road! Thank you for your honest and helpful input!
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:18 AM

My cervix is gone, no decision to make due to cancer in the uterus. Sex can be different with or without the cervix, and sometimes it's better. I think it took a while to get back to "normal" so don't expect perfection the first time. But things are fine and I don't know what I'd have done if I even knew anyone had a choice. Keep an open mind when you find out if yours is gone or not, it can be fine either way. I know I worried, too.
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:25 PM

I did the research before my surgery and thought I wanted to keep mine, but my doctor advised taking it. I had fibroids and they can possibly grow from the crevix also and with all of the heavy bleeding I have had, I certainly didn't want even a "mini" period after surgery. Well, the cervix is gone and I've had sex since the surgery and everything went great and hubby could not tell any difference either. So after the fact, I'm glad I had it removed.
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:51 PM

hi

With all the other bits removed I didnt see a reason to keep my cervix and felt to have it taken out was just one less area that I could possibly keep cancer free
Unread 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM

I kept my cervix and only had my uterus removed. My cervix is healthy and I don't have a family cervical cancer risk so for me it was the best choice. I was told the cervix serves as vaginal support. I was due for my first month post op "unperiod" this past Thursday and I didn't have any spotting, pain or bleeding of any kind. I heard the stories of women who have had "mini" periods because they kept their cervix. My doctor said it's a 7% chance of that happening. Looks like I'm in that 93%!!! Yaaaay!!!
Unread 11-08-2010, 02:48 PM

The mention of the "vaginal support" reminds me -- I asked my doctor about that. I have had no vaginal deliveries (only 2 c-sections) so he said I was unlikely to ever had any vaginal support issues that they usually occur to women who have delivered vaginally. Every situation is unique including history, so I guess you should discuss with your doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register