Hysterectomy costs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy costs Hysterectomy costs

Unread 11-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Hysterectomy costs

Can anyone give an idea of some range of what I am going to have to pay for my Laparoscopic Hysterectomy? I am going to need a loan to pay for it and I am really curious of some sort of idea.

I am also getting some, type of bladder repair but I don't care so much about that.

I was a little stressed out at my visit scared about the biopsy, while getting the biopsy he questioned my bladder control mine leaks (I knew that) I guess while they are in there he can fix that to. I will see him again Friday and will get the proper details.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Re: Hysterectomy costs

The costs of a hysterectomy can vary quite a bit depending on your surgeon, your medical facility, in-patient or out-patient, where you are located, the type of surgery, other procedures done during the surgery, if you get a discount for being a cash patient, if you have insurance, etc. etc. etc. There really is no ballpark figure or general amount.

I did do a web search just to give you an idea and found that for the Portland, Oregon area, the average cost of a vaginal hysterectomy is $17,400 (it wouldn't tell me the fees for any other kind of hysterectomy). If you also have an ovary removed, the average cost is an additional $9,000. From what I read, those fees do not include the surgeon, anesthesiologist, radiologist, etc. and would not include any bladder procedure that might also be done. (You can see if this site helps you at all: http://www.newchoicehealth.com/Direc...20Hysterectomy .)

Talk to your doctor's billing office about the costs your surgeon will charge. Then ask about information regarding all the other doctors and facilities who will be billing you. When you contact the hospital, explain your situation and ask to speak to someone who can help you figure out your costs and determine if you qualify for any discounts or charity programs.

Unread 11-11-2010, 10:16 AM

Hi, I live in the Portland Oregon area and I just got my hospital bill and for a one night stay and LSH my bill came to $14383.00. I had no complications and I think that my anesthesiologist bills seperatly so we will see how that adds up to. Its pretty expensive so be prepared. Good luck to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2010, 02:05 PM

this has been the most annoying part of planning for my surgery. i have insurance, and have to pay 10%. but..... no one seems to be willing to tell me what the cost of surgery will be. the hospital gave me an estimate of $27,000 to $30,000 as the pre-insurance price. of course, the insurance company won't pay that much due to their contract with the hospital. but no one will tell me the contracted price. so, i have no idea.

however, the anesthesiologist billing department was very helpful. they were able to look up my doctor's average time for performing the surgery and gave me an estimate of their cost $1083.00, and told me the insurance's contracted amount- $969.00....so my estimated bill for them will be $96.90. obviously that depends on which surgery i get.

i had hoped to have a better idea of the total cost so i could sign up for the right amount on my 2011 flex spending account. but, the billing department assured me that if i didnt take out enough that they would work with me on the remaining amount.
Unread 11-11-2010, 04:54 PM

I know, I feel the exact same way, it was really hard to know exactly how much money you are going to have to come up with. I have insurance too but I have a maximum out of pocket of $4500.00 so I know I have about $3000.00 left on that to pay out of my pocket as I have had other medical issues this year. They will never give you an exact cost because as they say you never know how much care or what they will need to do while you are in surgery. My surgery was scheduled as an LSH but if she was in there and couldnt do it laproscopically it would have to be changed to an abdominal incision luckily it was an LSH. Good luck to you and I hope it all works out for you!!
Unread 11-11-2010, 06:01 PM

the flex spending thing is tricky, because if you over estimate how much it will be, you end up with money left over...which you lose at the end of the year. (and starting next year, we cant use the overage to stock up on advil like in years past)
Unread 11-11-2010, 06:30 PM

After getting the phone call from the hospital regarding my preop appointment there, I found out that before insurance, my hospital bill (not the surgeon, not anesthesia) was going to be just slightly over $8000. By the time we finish paying up to our deductible, and then insurance does the 80%/20%, I'm still looking at around $2300 for just that part of the bill. I tried calling the billing department of the dr who's doing my surgery, but haven't gotten a call back. Grrrrrrr

All I know is that when they drop the $$bomb$$ on my DH, it's not gonna be very pretty. He's so tight even his family says he squeeks when he walks. Yes, I am blessed that he is so good with our finances, but still.... we have a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs, and food in the fridge, but things like surgeries can mess with your pocketbook. I keep telling myself that I will be so much better off after the surgery...gee, might even actually be able to work a little more (in time ~ gotta pamper the princess for a bit). I guess I am just nervous that he'll get mad....stupid thing to worry about, but oh well....
Unread 11-11-2010, 06:40 PM

my doctor told me her surgery fee before insurance adjustment is around $1800.
Unread 11-11-2010, 10:41 PM

Am I assuming correctly that you don't have insurance and that's why it is costing so much? Sorry for the stupid question but I had a TAH on 10/22 and I just had to come up with the co-pay of $150...unless they are going to spring it on me with a bill in the mail lol (not!)
Unread 11-11-2010, 10:45 PM

After an ablation earlier this year, and all the visits/ultrasounds/shots, I've met my deductible and my out-of-pocket expenses for the year. The doctor's office and the hospital should be paid 100% by insurance. I'm very thankful for the coverage I have, but I've been where y'all are too. I'll say a prayer that things go well for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register