Scheduled TAH PCOS and surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PCOS and surgery PCOS and surgery

Unread 11-13-2010, 09:52 PM
PCOS and surgery

I have PCOS and I guess I am trying to wrap my brain around the surgery I don't have a problem with losing my uterus but I am so unsure about the ovaries doctor said take them out take hormones I don't want hormones I guess my question is because I have PCOS and my ovaries are damages are they really gonna work after.
I am just so in my brain about this I don't have anyone to talk to about this I know it is my decision and you all have commented on the whole ovary thing already but I just can't decide.
Then I read a book last night by Dr.Lee who said at all cost don't have an hysterectomy but I don't agree I am the one bleeding for months on end and in pain then the topic came up about keeping the ovaries I have been so depressed today really want to just cancel the surgery and buy stock in Always Pads and move on .
This has just totally consumed my thoughts.
I have had a C-section and a hernia repair on my C-section can I expect the same type of recovery as those surgeries?
I wish I could just be positive about all this
thanks for listening I am sorry I feel like I am whining
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2010, 04:34 AM
Re: PCOS and surgery

Hi Lori!

I have been doing research about PCOS because our adopted daughter has this, she's 19, and she's coming home to live with us next month.

I'm not sure how old you are, but the research I've done about keeping ovaries has sometimes to do with your age, the condition of your ovaries, and what percentile you are in for ovarian cancer--not including PCOS.

One article I read explained that 1 in ten women over the age of 45 experiences a shut down permanently of their kept ovaries after a hyster, within 3 years.

I also had a C-section when I was 25, I am 35 now, and from what I can gather about "same type of recovery" compared to a hyster (are they reopening your C-Section scar as they are doing for me?) this depends on a few factors.

The last time we had those C-sections, for me I was younger and healthier, so my recovery then was more of an uncomfortable week with little pain. This time, I'm planing for the worst case scenario and taking steps to be prepared.

I don't remember the shock of going into menopause after surgery back then, but I had reconstructive surgery to repair a ruptured right fallopian tube after an ectopic pregnancy.

This hyster comes with different experiences-the hot flashes and surgical menopause until your ovaries kick back on, from what I understand, should you keep them.

There is a lot of information out there-horray hyster! to, no don't do it!

I have the bleeding for months on end also. for me Lori, I had to weigh the pros of quality of life versus the cons. It was a no brainer for me to remove the angry uterus and now I'm set to talk with my OB/Surgeon about ovaries on Tuesday Keep or No Keep? if mine are found healthy, I should keep them, according to my research for my age group and my cause of surgery.

Make sure you take down your concerns and speak with your doctor in detail and at great length if you need to. This is your dime, on his/her time, and this about the kind of life you hope to have on the other side of the castle visit.

Ask all of these questions, and my question for you is: How good do you feel about your doctor who has scheduled your surgery? Good as in, do you feel able and comfortable to make him/her address these concerns?

With PCOS it is my understanding you can develop diabetes due to the insulin problems that this causes, how does this factor in to your surgery and your condition? I'm still learning about PCOS so you can be my teacher here!

Having a hyster is a huge thing, a big decision, and not everyone experiences the same exact physiological rebound and recovery as everyone else, but life itself is a gamble, and I know exactly where you are when it comes to the question "am I taking the right gamble here?"

There are lots of factors to consider, and you'll be glad you wandered here to get a few personal experience opinions to help weigh in your decision.

Get a second, third, and fourth opinion if you need to. The more experienced brains are digging into your symptoms and condition, the better odds your decision will have toward this major gamble or not.

Here is an article I'm kinda stuck on that I keep reading over and over because the tone and information speaks to me about this--this doctor has answered my questions against other research, it might help find you more questions to ask your doctor.

< >

You don't have to make this decision alone if you don't want to. Get your doctor involved, talk the nurses who have had hysterectomies, and keep digging until you find all the answers you need.

As far as whining, whine all you want to sister! Get it out on here, we're here to help! when you find what you need, and when you are truly ready, you'll find being positive about your decision comes naturally. If you are not ready for this surgery yet, don't feel pressured. You'll want to be psychologically ready and willing before surgery day so that your recovery is easier to handle.

If I wasn't excited and hadn't fought the system for almost two years to get this surgery, I might be in the same position as you...but I worked hard to find someone to give me this surgery I feel I need.

What good am I bleeding for 4 months and not able to work a job, drive a car, or even do laundry because the pain and bleeding and just simple gravity keeps me bed ridden. Not to mention the blistering sores caused by wearing pads so much.

Keep us in formed of how you are doing..I'm here if not any help at all, but to hold your hand as a sister with the same concerns for you.

<3 Hugs Lori!
Unread 11-14-2010, 12:40 PM

thank you Maidyn your words were so encouraging to me .Ihad no problem about the cervix cause with my luck I would still have bleeding and that is the last thing I want is to bleed
I am 44 so the doctor said it was my choice about the ovaries cause I am at the mid point I have a meeting on the 17 with my doctor to talk with him so I will ask all my questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2010, 01:00 PM

LoriB, I have PCOS and am 35. I kept my ovaries, but before the surgery my DR said he would take a look at them and if they were in bad shape he would remove them. But, if they looked good he would keep them. I told him to be cautious but also to do what was best for my health. I didn't want to be on HRT at age 35 and I didn't want to keep diseased ovaries either. I told him that I had a lot of pain on my left side and he thought he would need to remove that ovary but he said they both looked good so he kept them.

I keep wondering what will happen with my PCOS. I am still on medications for it and see my endocrinologist in a few months. She wanted me to be recovered and give my body a few months to get use to no uterus and see if my ovaries continue to function. So far I feel good. I am post op three weeks and three days.

I know it is hard know knowing what really will happen during surgery. But, keep asking questions and I hope you will find some peace before surgery.

Unread 11-15-2010, 11:38 AM

Hi there.
I am facing the same decision as you are. I have PCOS and have extreme pain (equals being curled in the fetal position while little elves stab my ovary with a hot poker) , an enlarged and swollen uterus, and endometriosis. I am scheduled for a TVH on Dec 28th, and my DR wants to keep my ovaries because of my age. (I'm 28) I will see him a week before surgery, and that is when I will make my final decision. I'm a cancer survivor, and the chemo I had in the past makes it likely my ovaries will stop functioning earlier than normal. So, right now I'm leaning towards having my left removed because the most severe pain is centralized there, and leaving my right so that I'm not on hormones any sooner than I'd have to be anyway. I'm also giving my DR the authority to take the right ovary if it in any way looks 'troubled'. Unfortunately, removing the polycystic ovary doesn't remove the 'syndrome'. Good luck to you!
BJ
Unread 11-15-2010, 04:44 PM

i am 43 and suffered with pcos.am from uk and our doctors aren't as up to date on treatment or even acknowledgement for this!i was on metformin but was told after surgery i would not need to take them anymore.my ovaries were removed as they were almost useless anyway.i have felt more clearer headed without the metformin and have decided not to have hrt as i feel i have probably gone through most of the menopause.i am due to see my consultant this fri(19th nov) and am dreading the internal exam!!!am recovering slowly.had a bad fall outside my house today..so will probably feel rough again tomorrow.this site has been fabulous in giving information that no-one else tells you!!!love to all here....and good luck....xx heal once,heal well.x
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:59 PM

Carliefarlie43 Have you had your blood sugar tested. Because sometimes PCOS can up your blood sugar like a diabetic. There is a higher risk of diabetes with PCOS. My blood sugar is borderline so my Endocrinologies put my on Metformin. She also wants me to loose weight, which I tried and tried but I feel that my problems that lead to my hysterectomy was keeping me from loosing weight. I hope that it will be a bit easier now that I am free of my uterus. I did keep my ovaries because of my age and they looked good, but wonder if it will still cause symptoms. We will see.

I am sorry to hear about your fall and I hope you ok.

Unread 11-16-2010, 03:22 PM

my gyn said if we're in there anyways, we'll take them, -i'm 50, but he said he would recommend taking them to anyone 45 and over, not all drs think that though
Unread 11-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Hi sanda savi,
my blood sugars are all ok and i feel good without the metformin.
i started to bleed a little today(had absolutely none post sugery!) so am going to drs 2moro to get checked out.think it's a result of my fall..will let all know how i get on...
i have followed the GI diet previously and it worked well for me.weight has crept back on now but like you i am hoping i can address that now i am post op.
hope everyone healing well....xx
Unread 11-16-2010, 03:42 PM

I too am 52 and just had my surgery and had them take the overies too. I am sooooo glad I did I am on a hormone patch and have not had one problem or hot flash I feel NORMAL for once. I have had no problems with recovery and I am looking forward to the holiday for once DO IT

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register