Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Nov 15-Nov 21,2010 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Nov 15-Nov 21,2010 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Nov 15-Nov 21,2010

Unread 11-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Nov 15-Nov 21,2010

If your hysterectomy was between Nov 15-Nov 21,2010 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns instead of including the question in your update! There is information on how to start a new thread in this link: New Here? or you can use this link: Post a New Topic in the Post-Op forum.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

We hope you are recovering well with plenty of rest and water and a bit of walking. Don't forget to pamper the princess!

How to use the Recovery Progress Reports thread:

• 1. This thread is for the purpose of sharing updates on your recovery as you heal from your hysterectomy.

• 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress and to share encouragement with your surgery week Sisters.

• 3. Remember to start a new thread on the Post-Op message board to ask your questions.

• 4. The Progress Report threads will be moved at approximately 8 weeks post-op to the Date Club forum inside the HysterSisters clubhouse.

• 5. Remember all the love and support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Support forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of women helping women!

• 6. You can also share support and experiences with post-op members in all phases of recovery in the Post-Op Hysterectomy Support forum by replying on the new threads they create.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Nov 15-Nov 21,2010

Wow, I get to go first? Hurray for me!

My surgery (LAVH) was done yesterday afternoon -- procedure started at about 1:30. I got to talk to my surgeon beforehand (no surprises there, our earlier conversations had dealt with all the issues and information) and the anesthesiologist, who was a totally cool guy. Everything went smoothly, I spent the night in the hospital where the only problem was the various monitors beeping (and, if you can believe this, a telemarketing call...got about 15 seconds into that one and said, "Wow, do you ever have a wrong number!").

So far I have had very little pain -- the worst was yesterday shortly after I got wheeled up to my room, and that was about 3 on the 0-10 scale, about like a bad bout of cramps but no worse than that. They had me on doses of an NSAID through the IV, something similar to ibuprofin. They had Percocet waiting in the wings if necessary, but I really didn't feel like I needed anything more. I didn't have any nausea, either because I'm just lucky or because of the anti-nausea stuff my anesthesiologist did (a scopalamine patch plus the anesthetic itself had some stuff to counter nausea). I started moving around out of bed last night, did a bunch more moving around this morning, my surgeon signed the discharge orders and I was outta there at about 1.

I'm back home now and feeling really good but a bit tired. I think the main pitfall I'm going to have to watch out for is overdoing it, because so far, there are just no downsides. SO happy to have this done!
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:37 PM

I got home around 2pm this afternoon. Feeling ok - as long as I stay ahead of the pain with Lortab.

Surgery was 730 yesterday morning. It was a TVH. It took about half an hour to 45 minutes longer than the doctor expected, as my uterus was bigger and positioned further up and back than he expected. I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to take care of me. From the lady in admissions to the nurses on the ward, to my doctor, all were professional and very caring. My doctor stayed with me and held my hand until I went to sleep - I suppose I was more nervous than I thought I would be.

My catheter was taken out before I woke up, so I had to get up and moving around to go to the bathroom. I couldn't go, so the nurse had to do an 'in and out' catheter. A couple of hours and a good bit of water later, I was able to go. Never had any more trouble after that! The rest of the night was spent sleeping for a bit, going to the bathroom, and laps down the hall.

I got 'real' food for breakfast, and a visit from my doc this morning. He told me that if I kept breakfast, lunch and oral pain meds down, that I could go home after lunch. Exactly when was up to me. As soon as I could, I showered and got dressed after lunch, and I was discharged. I go back for my first post-op appointment in two weeks. No driving until then, and he wants me off work for at least four weeks, preferably six.

I suggested this site to anyone and everyone. The support and information I received here has proven to be very valuable. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2010, 01:53 AM

I had surgery Monday the 15th at 7:30 a.m. I couldn't wait to get out of bed, and then when I did get up I wanted to go back to bed shortly after I got up. I did start walking around the hospital floor at 1:00 in the morning and I now get up and walk throughout the day. I am home now and doing well, but I do find that I need to take the pain pill every 6-8 hours to keep ahead of the bad cramping. Although I did just wake up with no pain at all, but sitting here writing this, I am noticing some cramping returning.
I do have a question if anyone can answer this....is anyone else really puffy?? I am swollen up like a tick and not just in my belly...even in my face. I stepped on the scale and it says that i gained 7 or 8 lbs. and I haven't eaten much since surgery.
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter33 View Post
I do have a question if anyone can answer this....is anyone else really puffy?? I am swollen up like a tick and not just in my belly...even in my face. I stepped on the scale and it says that i gained 7 or 8 lbs. and I haven't eaten much since surgery.
Hi Baxter,
I came home from the hospital 8 lbs. heavier and was swollen too from all of the fluids they gave me in the IV. I couldn't even put my rings back on. But it all went away within a few days.
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:20 AM

Well had my LSH yesterday. The surgery went well. After the procedure I went to day stay and was very sleepy and nauseated so I stayed there for awhile. I had to urinate and be able to walk before I could leave. I did throw up a couple of times due to the anesthesia. The pain ranged in the 5-6 out of 10. I was given vicodin which help with the pain. I was eventually able to get up and walk then urinate. So I was discharge that night.
Today I am feeling a lot better but still very sore so took some pain med but I also have been taking stool softener as I do not want to get constipated. I have been able to get up and down just slowly. I had a c-section 3 months ago when I had my daughter so this procedure was so much better when it came to pain and being able to move around. My Dr said I need this because my uterus was really large due to the fibroids and my periods were extremely heavy which caused me to be anemic. I am grateful that they are able to do this procedure laproscopically and we don't have to be cut like before. I am also grateful for this site it help to prepare me for what to expect. Well going back to rest. Will update again later this week.
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks Love bird...that makes me feel better!
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter33 View Post
I was just going to ask that same question!! My toes are even swollen, even though I'm wearing my compression socks!
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:07 AM

I didn't get any swelling, and I wonder why. It sure seemed to me like they were pushing a lot of fluid through that IV! I had the inflating compression socks on through my overnight in the hospital, but not afterward, and nothing seems to have gotten swollen at all. Why is that?

p.s. going for a walk around the neighborhood in a little bit -- otherwise, just enjoying a lazy, don't-have-to-do-anything day at home!
Unread 11-17-2010, 12:50 PM

I gained 10 lbs of fluid last week during my 24 hours stay in the hospital. Was totally freaked out. The doctor said I was dehydrated at the time of surgery (probably due to fasting after midnight and then not having surgery until 1pm the next day) and went thru 3 bags of fluid just thru the 2 hour surgery (he said that is 6 lbs.) Then another 2-3 bags after surgery. So more than 10lbs of fluid went into my body and wasn't coming out as fast...

I'm happy to say that it all came out within the next 4 days or so. I am back down to my pre-admission weight. The key is to keep drinking lots of fluid (i know how weird that sounds...but when your body see's that it won't dehydrate, it will let all the xtra fluid out again.) I was also told to add cranberry and tomato juice to my lists of liquids, as that is supposed to help with fluid retention.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register