How long to heal? Is three weeks enough? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long to heal? Is three weeks enough? How long to heal? Is three weeks enough?

Unread 11-16-2010, 04:26 PM
How long to heal? Is three weeks enough?

I am having an open total hysterectomy on December 15th. My Gyn says it takes about 6-8 weeks to heal from having the totally open c-section type hysterectomy, plus they will be removing adhesions. My issue is that I start back at school on January 10th. Now I will be sitting in a chair from 8 am until about 2 pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I can take the elevator up to my classrooms and may have to climb about 5 or 6 stairs to get into the buildings. Do you think that I will be ok? This gives me three and a half weeks to recover. Now mind you, I heal really quick. I had gall bladder out on Friday and went back to my retail manager job the following Monday, had umbilical surgery on Saturday and went back to school on Monday, had scope and adhesions removed lap, 4 incisions and went back to school two days later so I am a pusher and a mover. Question, how different is this? He said absolutely not, I need the full 6 weeks to recover, no excuses so I said ok knowing that I am going back to school no matter what in 3 and a half weeks... so my question is am I crazy or can this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Re: How long to heal? Is three weeks enough?

I had a TAH and at 3 weeks I would NOT have been able to sit in a chair (especially a hard chair) for that long of a stretch. After an hour at my computer on a padded office chair, my belly would swell, get hard and really hurt. And even if I had a really good day with lots of energy, I hit the wall late afternoon/early evening that left me totally exhausted and exhausted the next day too.

But everyone heals differently. My healing was close to textbook as it gets. Really boring story.

If you are having a laproscopic you heal faster on the outside than with an abdominal (all of my other surgeries were laps). But remember with a hysterectomy, you have lots and lots of stitches on the inside that still have to heal.
Unread 11-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Thank you for the information. Were you cut across like a c-section? Did you get staples? I thought of bringing a pillow with me to school?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2010, 05:24 PM

I had a TAH, with bikini cut, 4 weeks ago today. There is no way I could have gone to work last week. I am very thankful I have 2 more weeks to heal. Just today I went to help out at a school function. When I hit the 2 hour mark, my body was done. There is no way I could sit on a chair for 5 hours, let alone the exhaustion factor. Is there anyway you can work out something with the professors so that you can study from home? That way you can work on a little at a time when you feel well enough, without the physcial drawbacks. I wish you the best!
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:31 PM

I would ask your doctor.... and you may have to wait until after the surgery to get your answer. He/She will know exactly what was done to the inside - and how resuming school may affect the surgery areas. I can tell you that you will not be able to lift your text books.... nothing over 5 pounds for 6 weeks is the rule most docs seem to live by - and trust me... you'll know if you lift too much weight! OWWIE!!

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:32 PM

Hi Flamnredhead.

I have not had my surgery, but I will be doing so right at the end of the winter break. I have arranged for all online classes this next term so that I can do all my work at home. Granted, I know it'll be pushing it overall because classes start 5 days after my surgery, but I'll have the ability to do my work ANY time I feel up to it. I think it entirely depends on what your classes are and the structure of them. It's definitely worth checking out if you think you could do that instead. You only get one chance to heal; don't take unnecessary risks. Hope that helps!
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:42 PM

Why not try to arrange to do some work online for the 1st 3 wks? I know it may seem possible now, but if its not----why not make arrangements in advance? Otherwise you'll be really stuck having to figure it out on short notice. Why not plan for being out and you can go back early if you feel great, but work from home if not? I'd think the school would work with you for that few wks. Many women find they need a bit longer than they predicted, so you just can't tell in advance how you'll feel. I hope you'll feel great but I'd really suggest a plan B anyway.
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:35 PM

I am two weeks post op and had a TAH with vertical incision. I think that you will find it pretty difficult to sit for that long. I'm a fast healer too but I just ran into a brick wall today and am exhausted. I over did it yesterday I guess, felt really good though. If at all possible I think you should give yourself more time. Wishing you a fast recovery!
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:02 PM

I am now in week 4 post op ...TAH surgery with a vertical incision also. By week 3, I was feeling blah and a bit nausea and not feeling well on occasion. I couldn't even imagine returning to work at this point. I am still feeling tired. Initial recovery is 6 to 8 weeks and so if you can hold off or come up with another plan about returning to work, it would be a good idea and in your best interest because you only have once chance to heal properly.
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:25 PM

I think you will need the whole 6 weeks. You are having major surgery & major organs removed & it takes a long time to get back to feeling well. Even if you heal fast, I would get a release from your doctor because if you go back to soon & cause adhesions or scar tissue they will not want to be responsible for that. Be careful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register