Scheduled TAH What to do with pets? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do with pets? What to do with pets?

Unread 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM
What to do with pets?

I typed up this post once before and deleted it because I felt silly. But it's one of those things I'm worried about so here it is anyway.

As you can tell from my user name and my signature, I have a dog (one and a half really...long story). She's very protective of me. She likes to rest her head on whatever part of me is hurting (somehow she knows). She can jump up on our bed, which I'm planning to do most of my post-op recovery on. And she turns into a complete and utter drama queen when she's kept away from me.

So I'm trying to figure out what to do with her post-op. I can't imagine 20 pounds of dog and sharp claws on my incision will be good for healing at all. I really don't want to board her somewhere because she's a rescue with a traumatic past and doesn't take well to strange environments. I can't really leave her outside either because she and her little friend (my step-daughter's dog) are mostly inside dogs and it gets REALLY cold here.

My husband thought about getting a baby gate to keep her out of our bedroom but this presents two problems - first off, if I need to get out of the bedroom I don't fancy shimmying over a baby gate. And secondly, I can already tell you that she will sit at it and whine. Incessantly. Because she's on one side and mom's on the other and that's NOT how it works in her world.

Does anybody have some creative ideas for what to do with pets post-op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Re: What to do with pets?

HI,
I understand your concern. I have 4 big dogs that like to be on the bed. What I did was placed a pillow over my stomach and have a body pillow beside me for extra protection. I also bought a bed table that I can put over my stomach and pillow for additional protection. I am two weeks post-op and have not had any issues so far. I have a 150lb Great Dane, 120lb Part Dane/Part Lab and 2 Black labs weighing around 70lbs. They have been great and I think they sense that "Mom" is not herself.

Good luck to you with your surgery.

Gail
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:58 AM

I have a miniature aussie and five cats and was worried about the same thing. My aussie is really protective and we knew that since I had spent the night at the hospital she was going to want to jump all over me when we got home. What we ended up doing was my husband let her out in our fenced yard and then came back to the car to get me in the house and in bed. Once I was settled, he got our aussie and put her on a leash to bring her to the bedroom. I used a pillow to protect my tummy and it worked really well. Once she jumped on the bed and sniffed me a bit she realized that something was wrong with me. From that point forward she just laid up against my side until I was up and mobile again. Animals are really great at sensing that there's something wrong with you and generally adjust their behavior accordingly.

I hope you have a very successful surgery and speedy recovery!
Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM

Keep a pillow on your belly at all times. I have 3 dogs and two cats and they are the kind that like to join mom on the bed. The pillow did the trick and somehow they knew to stay off my belly. As to a baby gate, you can get the kind that has a latch at the top and opens like a door. I have one on my office where two of the dogs sleep at night.
Unread 11-18-2010, 12:00 PM

The babygate probably is a last resort due to incessant whining. I agree that pillows should protect you pretty well. My problem was getting "nosed" in the belly---sort of like a friendly pat, but I guarded with my arm after that. The bed table next to you can be protective too---Tablemate is the brand I'm thinking of. I think your dog will sense things are different, too. It can all work out OK, just have enough pillows.
Unread 11-18-2010, 12:39 PM

We have 4 dogs, and haven't had any trouble. Two of them have been very good snugglers and very protective of me. When they jump up on the couch to sit with me, I just remind them to be gentle. One of them is a 25lb Cocker/Beagle mix and the other is a 7lb Malti-Tsu.
Unread 11-18-2010, 03:07 PM

Bless him, my Mom's PekaPoo was so happy to see my Dad home from total knee, that Tiki Dawg momentarily forgot about Dad's knee and jumped RIGHT onto his leg... Once Dad reminded him of it, Tiki is VERY gentle and settles between Dad's feet on the recliner. I know Tiki realizes Dad is kinda gimpy right now, and he's been good about lazin' ona pillow next to my Dad to keep him company!

I have a 13 pound half-feral Black Calico/Tortie who will curl up on a throw blanket in the bend of my knee if I'm on the sofa. We cuddle and watch TV. I will remember the pillow on the tummy and Midi can still curl up with me like that.

But---somebody ELSE will have to do her litterbox!!!
Unread 11-18-2010, 03:26 PM

i am staying at my moms or the first 2 weeks to keep from keeping my lab and chihuah locked up -- the lab is a jumper so I wanted to be safer than sorry. I cant wait to go home this weekend though.

my mom has a laid back small chihuah and a pillow has been all I needed -- now that he knows something is wrong I do not even need that -- he just stays at feet.

I would stay away from the babygate --
Unread 11-19-2010, 02:31 AM

Oh no! You have to get regular visits from your pets; it's the best medicine possible. After my lap, I would lay an old blanket on the bed, protect my tummy with a fluffy pillow and our full grown Siberian Husky Eski would jump on the bed and lay next to me. Nothing made me feel better than his rhythmic breathing and his paw on my arm. I think our pets can sense our pain and will not willingly cause us more harm by jumping on our incision. I am so lucky that I have help for pooper skooper duties, walks and feeding times. For those who do not have the help I have, I understand having to find sitters for them while you are recuperating. Hope you get better very soon so you can play with your furry ones again.
Unread 11-19-2010, 04:12 PM

i agree, my standard poodle is the perfect cuddling temperature, and i find it very comforting to have her on the bed- she will be ok once the initial greeting is over, i think i'll have my husband put her outside first and have him wait till i'm settled and protected with pillows then let her in. she loves my dad who's in his 80's and when he comes to visit we wrap him up in a blanket till she has had her fill of rambunctious snuggling

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register