Scheduled LSH Lap. supracervical hyst & Salpingectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lap. supracervical hyst & Salpingectomy Lap. supracervical hyst & Salpingectomy

Unread 11-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Lap. supracervical hyst & Salpingectomy

Hello...I am feeling a little confused. I am scheduled for surgery on Dec. 1 for laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy...today I received my surgery info in the mail and it includes salpingectomy. Why would the fallopian tubes need to be removed? I don't remember the doctor mentioning a problem with them but I do think I heard him mention it to the surgical scheduler. (He has an accent so I have a little trouble understanding him sometimes). I do have fibroids causing heavy bleeding for many years and I have iron deficient anemia. I am a little surprised by the salpingectomy. Does it prevent future "mini periods" since I am keeping my cervix? Any comments would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Re: Lap. supracervical hyst & Salpingectomy

Hi (((Happymusic))) a salpingectomy is just removal of one or both fallopian tubes. Did your papers say 'bilateral' or 'R' or 'L' with the salpingectomy? That would tell you whether the DR plans to remove one or both. Removing the tubes will not prevent mini periods, which are a result of the effect of hormones on the cervix, which is retained in an LSH (laparascopic supracervical hysterectomy).

This link lists some reasons why a doctor might want to perform a salpingectomy:

http://www.mdguidelines.com/salpingectomy

What is the reason for your hysterectomy? Only because of excessive bleeding with periods? Has the cause of this excessive bleeding been investigated/determined? What about other options besides a hysterectomy to deal with the bleeding? For example, my GYN has had great success in her practice with Novasure ablation as a treatment for dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB).

I would recommend getting another opinion before going through major surgery. You might consider also consulting an interventional radiologist - those are usually the professionals who perform the Novasure procedure, as most GYNs are not trained in that procedure.

Please make sure you get all your questions answered before surgery, whether it's from your own doctor or by getting another opinion - or two or three. Once the uterus is removed, it's not possible to put it back. There's not much downside to a salpingectomy, other than that it makes your surgery more involved, thus upping the chances for adhesions and other complications.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Re: Lap. supracervical hyst & Salpingectomy

Thanks so much for the information about salpingectomy Linda! I am feeling much better about that now. I am having a hyst because my periods have become so heavy that I am anemic and had to have iron infusions. My DR wanted to do endometrial ablation but after ultrasound, I have too many large fibroids. Unfortunately, I am not a candidate for anything with hormones because I have a blood clotting problem. I take a blood thinner which is a whole other level of anxiety about the surgery! I have to give myself injections of heparin starting this Wednesday until the surgery on Dec. 1. Yikes!! My usual GYN is a nurse practitioner so I think I will count her opinion as the first and the DR's as a second. I am actually looking forward to getting this done...weird?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register