How old was your daughter when she got her first period? What was it like? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How old was your daughter when she got her first period? What was it like? How old was your daughter when she got her first period? What was it like?

Unread 11-07-2001, 04:04 AM
How old was your daughter when she got her first period? What was it like?

How old was your daughter when she got her first period, and what was her first one like? Did she have problems if you did? My DD just turned 13 (2 weeks ago) and came home from dance last night and started. She seems to be going light and wants to go to school, so I am letting her. I did insit she take a Alieve this morning just in case. Her school charges them with drug possession for 1 OTC pill, Gee! So what is your personal experiences here? Reason I am asking i I am wondering if this hysterectomy thing is going to be hereditary and they need one to. I was 10 when I got my first one and wonder if the young age for onset of estrogen can make things worse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2001, 06:06 AM
Teenage Daughter

Most of the time, they are fine. My mom had a TAH when she was 25, and I did not have any probs until I was grown.

In my case, I don't have it as bad as my dd does!

I have a 15 year old that started when she was 11. She had very light periods until about 1 1/2 years ago. Now she cramps very badly (sometimes she even throws up) and can't go to school. (It is very unlike her not making it to school... she is a good kid!). Last month the dr put her on BC. She bled the three weeks that she was not supposed to and stopped the one week she was supposed to. Now she is crying at the drop of a hat (only the last two weeks).

We have an appt tomorrow for blood work and a pap.
Hopefully she can get back on track!
Unread 11-07-2001, 06:14 AM
NO GIRLS HERE, BUT ....

i have 7 neices, they all started around 11 or 12 years old, but my one neice started at age 9 doctor said that some girls just develop quicker, she 's 12 now and wears a c cup bra.. so, i guess they do.. i have custody of one neice she is 17, her periods are pretty normal, she cramps alot.. but thats about it..but then again she cries if she gets a hang nail, so its really hard to tell....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2001, 06:21 AM

My daughter got her period for the first time the day before she turned 13. It then stopped for exactly one year and returned as she turned 14. It has been completely regular since then and she just turned 18. It is very light with no cramping or pain. It is totally the opposite of what my periods were like. She is a competitive swimmer so I suspect it might be a little less severe because she swims so much (3 hours a day). I have always heard that extreme exercise can make your period lighter. Good Luck to your daughter, I hope her periods are unlike what most of ours were!
Unread 11-07-2001, 06:30 AM

My daughter started her period last year and she was 11 yrs. old. I was so worried for her since my periods have been horrible from day one. Fortunately so far she has very little problem with her periods. They are irregular still (after one year of having them) and they last much longer than mine ever did (6 days). But the flow is more gradual and slow where mine is gushing and intense. I think her way is better! She has adjusted to the inconvenience of periods remarkably well. I am so proud of her!! She continues to remain active in all her chosen sports and her only concern is swimming. She hasn't tried tampons yet!! I am sure when she does I'll hear a "MOM, please come in HERE!!" from her!! I hope she continues to have uneventful periods. I wouldn't wish my periods on anyone!!

Sandy
Unread 11-07-2001, 06:35 AM

I have 3 daughters and they all started at 13 -- I guess we're very orderly, I started at 13 too. They vary in heaviness, cramps, etc. One is very light and easy. One has heavy long periods (is on BC pills right now to help) and the middle one is just that: in the middle.

After growing up with 3 brothers, I was DELIGHTED to have girls and made sure we talked all about periods freely in our home. So when the time came, it was very comfortable to talk about cramps, compare the latest products etc. We also made sure that we help the "next one along" -- ESPECIALLY learn how to use tampons correctly as soon as possible. All my girls thank me now that they have the freedom of tampons. My one daughter who is 21 still has friends who are afraid to try tampons! I got my girls using them by their second or third period and they were thrilled to have an "almost normal" life again.

Hope your daughter does well... keep talking and eating chocolate

~~Kate, up here in
Unread 11-07-2001, 06:47 AM

Sheri, My DD started her period right before she was 12(just like me). But unlike me, her periods were very irregular, light in flow for the most part and she occasionally had mild to moderate cramps. Because of the irregularity( her cycles were any where from 30 to 80 days), she started on the pill (Ortho-Tricyclen) when she was 20 and in college. She hated the idea of never knowing when she was going to get her period. She is 23 now and still on the pill as far as I know. Here's hoping your daughter is regular and pain free with her periods!!!!! By the way, if I remember correctly, her first period was uneventful.

Emily
Unread 11-07-2001, 07:46 AM

My dd was 10 when she started her period. For the first couple of years she had no problems and continued playing soccer and was involved in theater with no problems. Then she started having bad cramps and bleeding every other month and has continued that pattern ever since. She is 21 now and the doctor wants to put her on birth control pills but she is resisting. Doesn't want to take them and has recently changed her lifestyle in hopes of improving her health. (quit smoking, eating better, cut down on coffee, exercising more, taking vitamins, you know, everything mom has been suggesting she do for years!) It's hard because she is in New York and I am in California. I miss her!
Robin
Unread 11-07-2001, 02:49 PM
period in daughters

I have 3 daughters...16 14 and 8.
My eldest has only just started her periods. She has had 1 period so far, and everything looks fine. She is due for her second any day if they come on time. No sign of my middle girl yet but i dont think she will hold of till she is 16 yrs old.

I got my first period when I was 10, they were not that bad when i first got them. They only started getting painful and heavy after have my girls.
I just hope that they dont get them like me, i wouldnt wish this on anyone. My mother has always had bad periods as well, but she hasnt had a hysterectomy.
Unread 11-07-2001, 05:31 PM

I have 4 girls!! 16, 12, 11, and 4! My sixteen year old is the only one with a period, she started at 12. I was 11 and had normal periods.....cramping, bloating then after my first daughter was born, I never had another cramp until two years ago(fibroids!!!) And you know the rest after that. But anyway, my daughter has very long periods 9 days! Mine were always 3-5. As a matter of fact, while I was going through all of this with the fibroids, she thought she might have them too since her periods are so long!! My 12 year old has brand new breasts!!! LOL LOL so I know it won't be long before she gets her period too. I have 4 brothers and no sisters, so having all girls is just pure bliss for me!! My husband on the other hand has a hard time seeing alot of bras and panties in the laundry!!!LOL LOL
~Rezz

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register