5wks out meds not effective? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5wks out meds not effective? 5wks out meds not effective?

Unread 11-23-2010, 04:20 PM
5wks out meds not effective?

Hi, 5weeks to the day TAH/BSling Doc started me on Estradiol 1mg 1 a day, and Estrace cream 1mg 2/week. I'm a smoker, and clots run in family. Not too sure about HRT but I'm having horrible hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings. Seems like I can't stop crying and have no motivation whatsoever! Been taking the meds since last Fri. haven't seen improvement, only bad headaches. Nurse(we don't like each other) tells me to 1/2 the estradiol that will make it all better. gee, thanks. I don't know what to do. Friends are telling me to do Mexican Wild Yam or natural progesterone cream? others say use prescriptions. I'm a mess right now and I just want this fixed<lol>. Husband has been so good!! That's the best in all of this I think. Anybody taken estradiol before? I saw the comments about estrace earlier. I'm not impressed so far with either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Re: 5wks out meds not effective?

Hello!

There are a lot of us who use estradiol in various forms. It's a bio-identical estrogen. I'm using Vivelle Dot, which is a transdermal patch changed twice a week.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you have been on estrogen for less than a week. Is that right? Early in recovery your body is depleting the hormones your ovaries made so that can account for symptoms, plus it takes a while for any hormone therapy to reach optimal levels. You might want to keep a journal while you're working to find balance. Jot down the symptoms you're having and share the journal with your doctor, who can then adjust your dose if necessary. For me, headaches are an indicator of not enough estrogen rather than too much.

Please don't start using another hormone without consulting first with your doctor. Generally we start out on estrogen only and don't consider adding additional hormones until the estrogen is balanced, and then only add something else if there are symptoms progesterone and/or testosterone can help with and with your doctor's knowledge (and prescription, in the case of testosterone).

Be gentle with yourself and don't make changes too quickly with your hormones. Give each change at least several weeks to work before making another change, and do this with the guidance of your doctor. Slow and steady wins the race in finding hormone balance.

Unread 11-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Re: 5wks out meds not effective?

Thank you. Yes, less than a week on estradiol. He didn't prescribe anything until week 4. I felt on top of the world week 3, had energy, felt happy, was productive and ready to take on the world(still had flashes and sweats but handled them ok), week 4 started and it all went downhill very fast, guess the estrogen left the building completely then<lol> I will try to be patient as you suggest. Doc said see you in 10 months? Will they not check my hormone level before then? That seems kind of odd. I appreciate your help and input hagd

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register