Vivelle Dot .1 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vivelle Dot .1 Vivelle Dot .1

Unread 11-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Vivelle Dot .1

Hello all, I had a total hysterectomy with remaining ovary and tube removal as well on Oct 25, 2010. Mine was done laparascopically. My doctor originally placed me on oral estradiol 2mg. which I pointed out to him seemed very high. He said it had to be higher as it had to pass through digestion. Within 2 days of taking it, I was throwing up with migraines. When I called in to his office he didn't even want to consider that it was the estradiol even though those are severe side effects. Long story short, after being sick for more than 4 days, I quit the oral estragen all-together. I called in and asked for the lowest dose of the vivelle dot and he called me in the .1. Now I have to wait and see what happens. I would love to talk to others who are also on the vivelle dot .1 like myself to compare notes. I know we are all different. Thanks for sharing with me.

Blessings,
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Re: Vivelle Dot .1

Tracy,
I was placed on the Climara .1 immediately after surgery. While I had issues of imbalance, I do not think they were from too much estrogen, but from the imbalance that can follow surgery. I had lots of ups and downs.

You are still very early post op. It can some time for your body to use up its stored reserves of hormones and the stress from surgery can cause hormone fluctuations also.

Try and be patient and give yourself some time to recover from surgery. Keeping a journal during the coming months can be very helpful.

Unread 11-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Thanks Kim! I really appreciate it. I left out the 30 pounds that I lost in the first 2 and a half weeks! Getting sick after losing that much weight was also tough on my system. My doctors nurse called me today to let me know that he was sorry he didn't "catch" the symptoms of the estradiol. So here's hoping the new patch will work much better!

Hugs!
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2010, 05:59 PM

Oh, I almost forgot! Thanks a million Hystersisters for the FREE month of Vivelle dot! It saved me 16.00 this month that I really needed! This site rocks! I've been recommending it everywhere there are women!

Tracy
Unread 11-24-2010, 08:12 PM

I was put on .05 vivelle dot after my hysterectomy. In the beginning it seemed I needed a little bit higher dosage because I had some hot flashes and night sweats. However, it was a very hot summer and my doctor suggested I keep wearing the old patch when I put the new one on. That seemed to do the trick. I also wear the patch on my lower back instead of my stomach; that gets you a slightly higher dosage. It's been six months now and I feel fine with this same dose of .05 and can't even tell when it's "time" for a new patch.
Unread 11-24-2010, 08:40 PM

Sorry this post turned out so long.
I've been using the Vivelle Dot .1 since about 3 mos after my hysterectomy...except over the summer I didn't wear it all the time...I was out on the road with my husband (truck driver) and it was cool in most places so I didn't have hot flashes/night sweats. Now that we are back home for the winter...though it has been extremely warm here...waiting on the cold front to move in as I type...I am back on the Vivelle Dot .1 patch.

When I use it, I have very few hot flashes/night sweats and no headaches/tummy issues. The only thing that happens when I wear the patch is I have a slight itch, but I tried the genric and broke out in rash. I do wear mine on the hip instead of the below the belly button. I had major migraines before the hysterectomy...and very few since then, but I also quit my job soon after surgery, which could have helped with the migraine relief.

I used the Estrogel 2 pump daily for the first three mos after hysterectomy and had very few hot flashes/night sweats while on it...but you have to apply to arm & let dry for 5 mins before getting dressed. If the patch bothers you, you might try the Estrogel. I really liked the gel better, except for inconvenience of use, also doesn't make me itch.

Hope my response helps you somewhat. I didn't want to take any oral estrogen due to the fact that it had to go through the liver first...which can cause other health issues down the road.
Unread 11-25-2010, 02:43 PM

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. It is really helping me and I do feel better knowing that I am not alone. I haven't noticed any issues, but I just started it yesterday! lol

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Don't eat too much! (yeah right) lol

Love and hugs,
Tracy
Unread 11-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharese View Post
Oh, I almost forgot! Thanks a million Hystersisters for the FREE month of Vivelle dot! It saved me 16.00 this month that I really needed! This site rocks! I've been recommending it everywhere there are women!

Tracy
Hi Tracy,
I appreciated the free month of Vivelle Dot too! My doctor also gave me a couple of weeks of free samples. It's an expensive medicine, but fortunately my insurance pays for most of it too.
How are you doing on it? I've felt very good on the .1 since my surgery 4 weeks ago. But the past couple of days I've felt very emotional. I don't know if it's because of being a little more busy with the holiday or what. My daughter is home for Thanksgiving and this is a happy time and here I am close to tears all the time. I hope that it doesn't continue.
Take care.
Unread 11-26-2010, 08:34 PM

Hi Gail, I just started on my vivelle dot late Wednesday afternoon. I'm not having the night sweats anymore though. So I guess it is working. I haven't been emotional on the weepy side, I've been more like Freddie Kruger...lol That is also improving. Fortunately my dh and best friend just keep a straight face when I blow a fuse and laugh when I leave the room. lol They must really love me. I am feeling much better these days though since I'm off the oral estradiol which was making me so sick.

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Tracy
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Hi Tracy - I was reading your original post and noticed that you said you asked the Dr for the lowest dosage of the Vivelle Dot patch...but he prescribed you the highest dosage available. The Dot is available in 5 dosages....from lowest to highest, they are: .025, .0375, .05, .075 and .1...so you are in fact on the highest dosage.

If I am not mistaken, the .025 is pretty much only for osteoporosis treatment. I myself started out at the .05 dosage 2 1/2 years ago....6 months later my Dr recommended that we bump it up to the .1 because my E2 level was still low (for my age, 43 at the time). I tried it for 2 months and did not like the side effects (fluid retention, breast tenderness, lower back ache)...so went to the .075 dosage and stayed there until last week. Have been fairly happy on the .075 dosage but I mentioned to my Dr that I am tired a lot and have recently noticed that I have zero changes in my breasts during the course of the month. He indicated that this tells him that my hormones have bottomed out (I have my ovaries) and that I have moved from an estrogen "supplementation" to a "replacement" situation and asked me if I wanted to try the .1 again. I agreed to try...the back ache came back almost immediately....I'm trying to give it a few more weeks before I decide if I want to stay here or go back to the .075. One of my biggest concerns is my bone density, which has declined from normal to Osteopenia in the past 2 years.

As others have said, you are still very early post-op. The dot is great in that it offers many dosing options. I've been very pleased with how effective it is. Good luck to you as you start this journey!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register