LAVH Normal time to go back to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Normal time to go back to work? Normal time to go back to work?

Unread 11-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Normal time to go back to work?

Hi, this is my first post, though I have read quite a few - thanks for the information.

I had a LAVH and A&P done on November 17th. Can anyone tell me when a normal back to work date would be? I had only asked for two weeks off to start with since my surgeon emphasized not doing anything for two weeks. Since the end of that time is coming up, I need to let my work know when I plan on coming back. My post op appointment is scheduled for 4 weeks after the surgery and I feel that I should be able to go back then. Just curious what others have done or are planning.

Thanks for your help! Nita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Re: Normal time to go back to work?

I get the sense that two weeks is pretty sort on average. I'll be at the two week mark tomorrow and I feel like I could go into work, but I don't have to -- it's work from home week for us, so I get to kick back for another week.

On the other hand, my surgeon didn't say "do nothing" -- she told me not to lift over 15 pounds, and that was it. So, I've been walking, hiking, etc. If your surgeon truly wanted you to do nothing for two weeks, I don't know that I'd want to go from truly doing nothing to putting in a full day at work. How do you feel? Have you been awake all day, or have you been napping? Have you been active at all? What do you do for work? Do you have to be on your feet, or carry things, or is it a pure desk job?
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:25 PM

My doctor had told me 4 - 8 weeks. She wouldn't even discuss going back to work with me until my 4 week post op appl. At that appt she said I could work part time but we would discuss full time at 6 weeks. At 6 weeks she said since I have Chronic Fatigue Snydrome to wait until 8 weeks.

I had no problems working part time. By the time I was back to full time I was feeling pretty good. I was working both my full time and my part time job at 8 weeks and just a little tired at the end of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2010, 06:29 PM

It partly depends on the work but I went back at 5 wks to heavy work. I did get tired but it was OK. I know they told me sitting might actually be worse than being up on my feet but I was up enough I couldn't say. It is easy to tire so I'd take as long as you need based on how you feel and your work situation. If you can, take some half days to start (I couldn't) in case it's a bit much to start, or start mid week so you have a break in case you need one after a couple days. Of course that's if your Dr clears you for then, but you probably have an idea if he will. Best wishes on returning to work, I hope it goes smoothly.
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:46 PM

Thanks all for the input - and quickly too! My surgeon's opinion is that if you do nothing but "rest, rest, and more rest" the first two weeks the rest of the recovery goes much better. I didn't know if the A&P might make the recovery any different. My wonderful husband has done all the cooking and I've just done light housekeeping, dishes, and a little walking with resting in between. I'm an administrative asst at a temporary job since last January. They had to get a temp for the temp right now!
Unread 11-28-2010, 08:03 PM

"I get the sense that two weeks is pretty sort on average."

Supposed to be pretty short on average...sorry.
Unread 11-29-2010, 03:36 PM

Tomorrow is my first day going back to the office to see clients, it will be 12 days post op and I planned in a 2 hour lunch then not working Wed, same schedule on Thurs. Hoping if I get worn down the long lunch will give me a chance to rest (I have a comfy couch in my office!). I'm feeling a little nervous, I stopped in the office on Sunday and a couple of my partners were there, I felt kind of disoriented, hoping I'll be able to get into the swing of things without too much struggle. I know it might sound like I'm rushing things but I can't really afford to be out for too long and I have been feeling pretty good so far. Wish me luck!
Unread 11-29-2010, 06:55 PM

Good luck, Sunny Jane - Let us know how it goes for you. And I'm glad you have the couch! Nita
Unread 12-01-2010, 04:04 PM

I'm planning on taking the 6 weeks. I work in an office where I'm up and down a lot. No lifting, but pretty emotionally draining. (Child support enforcement calls). I'm still at a 6 with my pain, taking percocet about every 6 hours but only like 2 times a day. I have ibruprofen but it kills my stomach and makes me sick even if i try to eat.
I'm fatigued very easiliy. Looking at these posts I'm starting to feel like a bit of a wuss, but I know eventhough this is day 14 out, I'm no where close to being ready.
I admire you gals though, wish I could just work and forget the pain. It feels like knives where I imagine they cut.
Keep posting how you are doing though , I might get inspired to go back sooner than the 29th

LAVH 11/12/10
Hysteroscopy 8/10
Tubal Ligation 9/08
Unread 12-01-2010, 04:26 PM

Only you can tell what is right for you. I'm wishing everyone the best healing their body can give them! I'm a pretty fast healer and tend to be a high energy person, my big deal will be making sure I don't push myself too hard and hurt my healing. We only have one chance to heal right and I don't want to take a chance on messing up anything inside of me!

With all that being said....I feel a little guilty that I have been feeling good, wearing most of my regular clothes. Still taking Motrin and fiber, having minor emotional stress (mostly about/with my teen daughter) and some difficulty sleeping. I can't seem to sleep thru the night, 3:AM insomnia but overall

I went to work on Tuesday and it was good, kind of readjusting to "what did I miss?" but overall back in the swing of things. Had planned to take today off but was active then back to work tomorrow. I am thinking positive, healing, thoughts about how great it is going to be not having all those old problems! I actually feel lucky to have had a doctor finally say TVH. Good luck sisters I am sending you lots of healing, happy thoughts and extra hugs to those of you with struggles.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register