No Heavy lifting discussion on post-op pages | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Heavy lifting discussion on post-op pages No Heavy lifting discussion on post-op pages

Unread 12-05-2010, 07:38 AM
No Heavy lifting discussion on post-op pages

I read the discussion titled something like "No crunches. No heavy lifting....ever" on the post-op pages. My surgery date (Dec 16) prevents me from commenting on that thread. Some ladies have gotten the instruction "no heavy lifting ever" from their doctors. It is apparently due to the risk of prolapse if you do not have a uterus.

This is the first I've heard of this PERMANENT restriction. What exactly is "heavy"? "Heavy" is a very relative term. I'll definitely be asking about this during my preop on Friday. It seems like it would really alter the way we live. What about lifting "heavy" dog food bags at the grocery? What about lifting kids?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Re: No Heavy lifting discussion on post-op pages

My dr told me no lifting over 15 pound for six weeks. Right around that 6 week mark we moved and I did a lot of heavy lifting. December 16th will mark 6 months post-op for me. I haven't had any issues and do heavy lifting everyday,since I work in auto parts. The only issue I've had is hot flashes and I guess since my remaining ovary finally re-cooped,they are finally subsiding. Just listen to your own body,it will tell you what you can and can't do. Good Luck!
Unread 12-05-2010, 12:17 PM

I was worried about this after reading that thread, too. After some web research and talking to some friends (I can't get in to see my doctor yet), I concluded that it's entirely up to your doctor.

According to the web research: It seems that the risk these doctors fear is that your pelvic floor muscles will weaken, so doing kegels and such is recommended by these "no lifting" doctors. It also seems common for these doctors to think there's less risk if the cervix is left.

Again, this is all quick web research, and I'm not sure what to believe. I know my doctor typically releases his patients with no restrictions after about six weeks. My mother has had no restrictions and does tons of heavy lifting and, 19 years post-op, she has no prolapse issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2010, 02:47 PM

Many women who have repairs (such as for cystocele, rectocele, etc.) do have lifetime lifting restrictions in order to maintain the repair work that was done.

I did not have any repair work done, and all my restrictions were lifted at 6 weeks. However, it was nearly a year before I could lift more than 25-30 pounds without feeling it in my lower pelvis--so I just made sure that I paid attention to my body and had others doing lifting for me when possible. I made sure that grocery bags were packed lightly, when I got a 50-pound bag of dog food from the store I asked for assistance, and I had family members take it out of the car.

The important thing is that even after your restrictions are lifting, you should still increase activity and weight gradually. Just because you're allowed to lift 40 pounds doesn't mean you should do so right away.

Whatever restrictions your doctor gives you, be sure to ask for specifics. If you are told "no heavy lifting," ask for a weight limit and a timeframe for that.

It's great that you're planning to ask your doctor about this. What one woman requires in recovery may not apply to you, and it will set your mind at ease.

Unread 12-05-2010, 03:14 PM

I had LAVH last month (Nov. 5th) with TOT/bladder sling. My doctor told me not to lift anything over 25 lbs. for six months.
To be on the safe side, ask your doctor what your restrictions will be.

Hope all goes well for you!

Jo-Jo
Unread 12-05-2010, 03:21 PM

Yes, I would be interested what your doctor says also. That thread was the first I heard of any permanent restrictions. My doctor had me on 10 pounds lifting restriction for 8 weeks, she said after that, I am released. When I pressed for details about whether I could work out with weights, she said how heavy? I said, I have to be able to haul 75 pounds. She just seemd confused as to why I would want to do that. She started talking abotu how I might hurt my back.

I said no, just the hysterectomy, I can take care of my back, does it affect what I can lift? And she said, 75 pounds is too much to lift. So I asked , can I haul 75 pounds on a rope, pulling it toward me. She said, just don't lift anything too heavy.

She is a good surgeon but short and impatient to talk to, and perhaps being Egytpian or something, there is a cultural disconnect a bit, she speaks in somewhat broken English and tends to look at me like she has no idea where I'm coming from. She doesn't get that someone who looks like a frail old lady works as crew on tall ships and the physical requirements I have to pass in order to do it.

So I am still not really clear on what I am safely going to be able to do in the future. I have another week to go before my 8-week mark, and I'll be studying the link from that thread on how to safely work out after hysterectomy.

I wonder how many of women who had prolapse issues after hysterectomy surgery were warned not to do any heavy lifting. Maybe they weren't. That's what worries me. That the doctor will say okay, you are released back to do whatever you want, and then we end up with a prolapse. I will be researching further into the prolapse threads to see what I can find out.
Unread 12-05-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otono View Post
I read the discussion titled something like "No crunches. No heavy lifting....ever" on the post-op pages. My surgery date (Dec 16) prevents me from commenting on that thread. Some ladies have gotten the instruction "no heavy lifting ever" from their doctors. It is apparently due to the risk of prolapse if you do not have a uterus.

This is the first I've heard of this PERMANENT restriction. What exactly is "heavy"? "Heavy" is a very relative term. I'll definitely be asking about this during my preop on Friday. It seems like it would really alter the way we live. What about lifting "heavy" dog food bags at the grocery? What about lifting kids?
My doctor didn't restrict me on a size or amount or pounds..he just kinda winked and said, "trust me, you won't want to lift anything for a while anyway." It pulls on your tummy, your stitches, and you feel the pressure when you lift.

I am mid way through week three post op, and I still don't lift anything other than 10lbs. Just because I don't like the feeling. Dont' over do it because you might start spotting blood, that's what happened to me. But your surgeon will tell you the norms for lifting if you are concerned. After you return home, you do figure out rather quickly what you can and can't do, and more importantly...what you SHOULD and SHOULD not do
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM

I'm having an LAVH.

When speaking to my Dr, I explained my company will NOT allow me to come back to work with any restrictions and I MUST lift 50 lbs comfortably. He seemed almost uncomfortable filling out the FMLA to say 10 weeks.

My greatest fear is that I'll be sent back, I'll injure myself, and have no FMLA or short term disability left. It won't be workman's comp as it's a pre-existing condition. I'll end up jobless because they got impatient (Dr, Short Term Disability and employer)

Is there someone out there that has any experience in disability claims that can tell me that 10 weeks will be acceptable...that they won't attempt to bring me back at 6 weeks!
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:28 PM

I had a tvh with prolapse prior to surgery. At 6 week check up I was given 20 lb weight restriction and that will be reevaluated at my 6 month check up.
Unread 12-06-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_sister View Post
I had a tvh with prolapse prior to surgery. At 6 week check up I was given 20 lb weight restriction and that will be reevaluated at my 6 month check up.
I felt I was very clear with my Dr. that I must lift 50lbs in order to return to work (it is actually in my job description). I just wonder if he either thinks they can put me somewhere temporarily (no where to go!) or there is some kind of limit of how long you can be on disability with this type of surgery.

Reevaluation at 6 months for over 20lbs makes me wonder if my Dr. is taking me seriously.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register