Curious - who developed auto-immune diseases after hysterectomy or oophorectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Curious - who developed auto-immune diseases after hysterectomy or oophorectomy? Curious - who developed auto-immune diseases after hysterectomy or oophorectomy?

Unread 12-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Curious - who developed auto-immune diseases after hysterectomy or oophorectomy?

Seems my immune system went haywire shortly after ovaries were removed. Wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience?

Hashimoto's thyroiditis
ulcerative colitis
endometriosis
fibromyalgia
possibly lupus (waiting on diagnosis)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Re: Curious - who developed auto-immune diseases after hysterectomy or oophorectomy?

Yep... diverticulitis at 4 weeks post op, breast cancer at 2 and 4 years post op. They're not "auto-immune" disorders but they definitely resulted from a faulty immune system.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Re: Curious - who developed auto-immune diseases after hysterectomy or oophorectomy?

I am sorry you both faced those things.
Surferbabe...wow...you have such a positive presence here and have had to face so much.
I am thankful for you moderators and all you do here.

Calypso...you have been such a help to me...I am sorry you have battled so much.

I just know my general health isn't as good...I use to be very healthy (minus the large fibroids)...but I just feel like I aged 20 years overnight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2010, 05:13 PM

I had autoimmune diseases Lupus & Sjogrens, before my TAH 4 years ago, and all I can say is, things got 99% worse. Ive been trying every treatment available, but nothing is helping. Autoimmune and hormone inbalance certainly dont mix. My body needs estrogen, but I cant seem to tolerate much of it either...its prob aggravating the autoimmune as well. My doc also says that menopause symtoms can actually be the same as autoimmune symtoms. Your labs should be a good indicator though.

Im also allergic to just about everything too..so it does seem that the immune system is def involved.

Gursie
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:37 AM

YES! I developed rheumatoid arthritis after my LAVH. Wait, let me rephrase that--I think I had RA prior to my LAVH but it never flared badly enough to actually need treatment. After my hysterectomy, it flared so badly that I couldn't even dress myself. I saw my hormone doctor, she referred me to a rheumatologist, and now I am on some major RA meds (self injected) in addition to the the hormone/thyroid meds I am using.
Unread 12-12-2010, 05:57 PM

I already had Chronic Fatigue Snydrome and Lymes before my surgery so I'm used to the aches/pain and tiredness. I did develope Diventiculits at 6 months post op. But with antibiotices that is under control for now.

But I do feel better since my surgery since I no longer have the pain from fibrods and cysts.
Unread 12-12-2010, 06:32 PM

I have autoimmune issues and allergies- Everything went haywire! I am 5 mos.post op and scratching myself to death and my eyes are soo itchy. Been to dermatologist, rheumatologist, allergist, and even a hematologist. I am a mess! They had me stop estradiol gel in case I was allergic to that- no difference. My female dermatologist said it best "your system is having a post operative meltdown" Glad I'm not nuts!!!!
Unread 12-12-2010, 07:40 PM

You're not nuts. Seemed my allergies got a lot worse. They are improved on higher estrogen, but get worse on too high progesterone (pregnancy hormone that goes along with reduced immune response). The itchy/dry eyes will improve with higher estrogen - that was the worst when my estrogen was low. Hang in there everybody!
Unread 12-12-2010, 07:48 PM

Oh jeez- and here they had me stop the estrogen thinking I was allergic.- NO wonder my eyes are even itchier!!! Thanks for input. When I see Dr. on Weds. I am telling him I am going back on the estrogen since I am obviously NOT allergic to that and stopping it did not help. THANKS for your help this confirms a lot!!!
Unread 12-12-2010, 08:00 PM

Lots of moisturizing drops too (in the eyes). Once you get that E level back up, the dry skin improves, the dry eyes improve, the memory sort of recovers (mostly) and less moodiness too! E is so wonderful if you can tolerate it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register