Estrogen Dominance and Still Have Ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Estrogen Dominance and Still Have Ovaries? Estrogen Dominance and Still Have Ovaries?

Unread 12-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Estrogen Dominance and Still Have Ovaries?

I am trying to connect the dots here ... I had TVH in July but kept my ovaries. Since then, however, I've been battling depression symptoms (had my antidepressant DOUBLED), really tender breasts when I would have PMS, decreased sex drive, a 4 lb weight gain ... and I am starting to wonder if this could be the case. In one of the other threads, someone suggested this to me and I had never heard of it.

I'm wondering if you can be estrogen dominant and still have your ovaries? And whether a TVH would screw things up enough to make this the case? Anyone out there with any experience?

Thanks tons,
Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Re: Estrogen Dominance and Still Have Ovaries?

have you tried natural progesterone cream?
Unread 12-07-2010, 11:53 AM

I haven't yet, because I'm not totally sure I'm out of balance. Is there harm in trying it before having a test to see for sure? That's what I'm unsure of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Hi Kelly
I have had lots of hormone problems since having one ovary out last year. Had the whole "they are like kidneys - one is plenty" discussions with docs until I found gyno who completely saw the problem and helped. I have since found lots of people who have some hormonal disturbance after surgery - even if just uterus removed and ovaries left untouched.
I was convinced I was estrogen dominant and I did try progesterone cream - it made everything worse! but in a funny way the experience really helped me. When I saw the gyno he was sure it was the progesterone part of my natural cycle that was causing the issue, and prescribed estrogen to help. I was very sceptical as I had been completely convinced of the whole estrogen dominance thing and I was suffering terrible cramps and depression. But within a couple of days on the estrogen I saw a difference and knew I was on the right path.
I'm still having hormone problems but I think that is more to do with the function of my ovary and I have been recommended to have last ovary removed.
Hope this is helpful Kelly and you find a solution. It might help to keep a diary of symptoms and to see when in the cycle the problems are worse. It can help the gynos work out what treatment is useful.
Take care
Casey x
Unread 12-10-2010, 10:15 PM

Hi I had symptoms months after my hysterectomy. I also have my ovaries. My doctor told me to wait to get tested. I would not suggest that. Why wait and continue to be miserable. I finally found a doctor who tested my hormones. I think its better to get tested and find out for sure what your levels are and what you need. My progesterone was extremely low. Now I am on very good progesterone cream I felt better in a week. Don't put it off, I suggest getting your hormones tested. I am using a bioidentical natural progesterone cream. Hope this help.
Unread 12-11-2010, 06:04 PM

I would definitely suggest getting your hormones tested. I had mine done before my hysterectomy (both ovaries removed) and it showed that I was in menopause, though my estrogen level was abnormally high for my age (51). I started on bioidentical creams about 4 days after surgery and so far feeling pretty normal. I will be getting my hormones checked again in about 4 months.
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:03 AM

Wow, thank you everyone, for your responses. That makes me feel better and makes me feel like indeed, I'm not going crazy. I was really beginning to wonder. I have an appointment with my doc on January 19th and plan to have a bunch of bloodwork done, not the least of which will be my hormones. After having read your experiences, I think it definitely must be that something is going on. I didn't have trouble until after my hysterectomy - granted, I had a lot of regular life stress, but things just seem magnified since the hyst. And my sleep cycle - ugh! It's like it doesn't work anymore. I wake up countless times during the night. Sometimes I stay awake, and sometimes I just wake up long enough to look at my clock. But what a serious hassle. I forget what good sleep is like.

Thanks, Ladies! Happy holidays.
Kelly
Unread 01-28-2011, 09:10 PM
prometrium

Has anyone taken prometrium without estrogen for think lining of the uterus. How did you feel while taking this?
Unread 01-28-2011, 10:20 PM

Before my TAH, I was taking progesterone capsules for thickening of the uterus lining. Other than sleeping a little better at night, I didn't feel any different. It did lessen the thickening, but I ended up having surgery, because of fibroids. I'm still on progesterone capsules (along with bi-est, testosterone and DHEA creams), but will be switching over to progesterone cream soon, as it will be easier to adjust the dosage.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register