Returning to work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to work Returning to work

Unread 12-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Returning to work

Hi, I tried to post this in the post-op but I'm still pre-op. Anyone know how long after surgery you can return to work? And is it true that after being "put under" you are foggy for weeks? I am new to all of this.
Oh and is my doctor suppose to prescribe pain meds before surgery so I will have them when I get home?
Thanks...........................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Re: Returning to work

Returning to work is up to your doctor and you. Some of the ladies here have gone back as early as 2 weeks, while others are out for 12. How you are healing and what kind of job you do has a lot to do with it.

From my experience, I was only foggy for about a week after I got home. Some ladies have different experiences with anesthesia.

Your doctor will most likely prescribe pain meds as part of your discharge paperwork.

Those are some great questions to ask your doctor as well. Although I'm not sure exactly where they are, there is a list somewhere on the site that has some other really good questions to ask your doc.

Good luck to you!
Unread 12-07-2010, 09:31 AM

Hey, I'm 3 weeks post op today and I returned to work last week. I'm only working till 3 daily and it's rough. It depends on your job mostly I think. I have tried to stay at my desk and not do a lot of up and down. We got pain meds during discharge so yes we had to do the dreaded wait for them to be filled. Anesthesia does make me foggy for a few days but everyone's not the same. I wish you the best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Once I got over the nausea, I wasn't foggy at all. Pain meds were prescribed before I went home from the hospital although it turned out I didn't need them. I took regular Tylenol for its anti-inflammatory properties, not for the pain. My doctor gave me a note for 8 weeks off and with the holidays in there, it will be nine weeks when I got back to work. I am an elementary school principal so it will be full out when I go back. No taking it easy!
Unread 12-07-2010, 11:55 AM

As the ladies before have noted, this varies from person to person. It also varies based on the type of work you do and procedure - abdominal surgeries tend to have longer recovery times.

I opted to come back in week 4 for half days and came back full time in week 5. The advice to ease in to it and don't rush is spot on. If I had to I could have been back in week three but as I have a desk job I opted to give myself the additional week as sitting for the entire day can be painful. Listen to your instinct and doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register