What do you think about going back to work 1/2 days 13 days post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do you think about going back to work 1/2 days 13 days post op? What do you think about going back to work 1/2 days 13 days post op?

Unread 12-10-2010, 11:46 AM
What do you think about going back to work 1/2 days 13 days post op?

I had a LAVH (kept my ovaries) on Nov 30 (4 years after an endometrial ablation). I'm 10 days post-op today and haven't had any problems. I've had 3 c-sections so, to me, this is a very similar feeling. I'm going to the doctor on Monday and she said she may clear me to go back to work 1/2 days next week. She's a friend of mine so we have a good relationship...she'd let me take 6 wks off if I wanted but I think I'm ready to go back. I have a job as an Elementary Secretary. Mostly desk job with some walking. My doc said as long as I don't lift anything and take it easy I should be fine. Am I crazy to think I can go back to work 1/2 days next weeK? After next week we are on Christmas vacation for 2 weeks. I'd really like to see the kids and co-workers before we go on break. What are your thoughts? I'm pretty high energy and this sitting around at home is driving me nuts!

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Re: What do you think about going back to work 1/2 days 13 days post op?

I would suggest you wait. I felt GREAT 2 weeks post op - absolutely fabulous. I was so ready to get back to work...then I sneezed. Hard. Guess what? I started bleeding, and bleeding and bleeding.
I had two doctor visits and the only thing he could conclude is that the sneezing put stress on the stitches. Nothing was 'shaken' loose, other than my confidence to go back to work! He would not release me back until the bleeding stopped.
I've seen people in other threads say, "It's up to you on how you feel." Only you know your body...better than any of us do. I would just recommend you take the time because you only have one chance to heal.

Good luck!! (and I know what you mean about going nuts!!)
Monica
Unread 12-10-2010, 12:13 PM

I'm hoping to do the same thing. I had LAVH on 12/2 and today I'm feeling pretty good. Still sore, a little tired and actually started an antibiotic for a post op infection, but overall i feel so much better than I thought I would! I was planning to go back right after the first of the year (my job can be done with minimal walking), but I'm really wanting to get back to work sooner. I have my two week post op appt next Thursday and then I'm hoping to be cleared to go back to work on Monday 12/20. But, if something changes in the meantime, I'm going to wait. Good luck to you! Try to enjoy the downtime and relax!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2010, 03:45 PM

While I totally understand that you want to see co-workers and kids prior to the holidays, I would suggest that you just take the time off. You deserve it!!! While you may feel "GREAT" your body still has a lot of healing to do.

Enjoy your time off and enjoy being pampered for a few more weeks!

Sue
Unread 12-10-2010, 05:44 PM

Your going to get a ton of different opinions on this, all of them equally valid because each of us really does heal differently. I, personally, was back at work part-time at two weeks, and nearly full time at three. But I work from home and have a desk job. The first few days, working at my desk did cause some discomfort, but that was done by the second week. I did have the luxury of laying down whenever I needed to and no commute, so that makes a big difference. But I don't regret going back as early as I did because I personally think getting back into the swing of things helped my recovery. I don't do well when I'm bored. It's very stressful for me.

If you're employer will let you, can you try just a couple of days with the understanding that you can leave when you're too tired and that if you discover the hard way that it's way too soon you can go back on leave? I'm not sure if that's even an option in the "real" world because I work for myself

The important thing is that you don't do anything that will set you back. It's hard to know if going back to work that soon will wind up doing that, so if you're not sure or you can't change your mind once you've tried a day or two, it's probably best to just wait.
Unread 12-10-2010, 09:05 PM

If your doctor will keep you off for 6 weeks I would stay off. There are good and bad days. I went back to work after 4 weeks and was exhausted the first week and the second week had one good day and one bad.

Plus you only have one time to be a so use the time wisely. I do not think you will regret the time you gave yourself to heal.
Unread 12-11-2010, 05:22 PM

I would take the time off. You may feel fine but you are not ready to have anything happen to your healing area. I would not risk it. You only have this one time to heal correctly so I would take it. It is hard to be away from everyone but please take care of yourself.
Unread 12-11-2010, 10:57 PM

If you want to be at work, and you and your doctor both feel that you're up to it, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it -- but I'd avoid committing to it. Leave it on a "we'll see" basis in case you start feeling crummy.
Unread 12-12-2010, 06:38 AM

It also depends on your commute. Do you live in a cold weather climate where ice accmulates? A slippery sidewalk could set you back weeks! How much time will you spend in the car and how comfortable is your ride?
If you can take the time now, I recommend that you do so. Everyone I've talked to agrees that it's very important to heal properly the first time around!
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:32 AM

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow morning. If she releases me I'm going to go to work 1/2 days this week. Then I'm off for 2 weeks for Christmas break. I have a wonderful boss and he's already told me that if I get tired I can leave and I don't have to come back until after break. I work at a small Christian school and am the Elementary Secretary so I don't have to bend or lift or do anything strenuous. I live in Tulsa, OK and the weather is suppose to be mild this week (40's & 50's) so I"m not too worried about that. Plus my commute to work is only 15 minutes and my youngest daughter (she's 15) goes with me in case there's an issue. I have to say that I think mental health is almost as important as physical health so I need to get out! I don't think that 4 hours sitting at my desk at work talking to my little people and working on the computer is any different than 4 hours sitting on my booty at home on my computer. I may be completely surprised after one day but I'll definitely let you know Plus my boss has already told me that he was going to 'seatbelt' me to the desk so I don't do anything crazy!

Thanks for the replies! I love this site! It's very informative

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register