Scared, lost and confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared, lost and confused Scared, lost and confused

Unread 12-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Scared, lost and confused

So bare with me since I'm not very good with terminology. However, I plan to participate regularly now that I will embrace my new life.

Quick background. I'm currently 33yo. C-Section in 1998, laporoscopy in 2002 for Endometriosis, c-section in 2004, laporoscopy again in 2006 and 2008 for Endo. The one in 2008 showed my uterus and one ovary had adhered to my abdominal wall causing my current pain. June 2008 I had a hysterectomy and one ovary removed. I was pain free until Mar 2009 when I was told I had IBS although I had no relief with a restricted diet or medications. My GI doc finally chalked it up to adhesions on my bowels and there was no way I'd find a doctor to operate because they'd leave more scar tissue. My quality of life deteriorated and I finally turned to my OB/GYN for help. He found a cyst on my remaining ovary and said my Endo and adhesions had returned, so referred me to his colleague for robotic surgery.

Which brings me to today. They didn't want to, but had to remove the ovary because it wasn't healthy and the cyst had enveloped it. The surgeon told my husband he's never seen so much scar tissue on the bowels in all his years doing this. Surgery was a week ago and I'm not sure what to do about HRT and when I should start feeling the effects of the surgical menopause. I am suppose to have a post op appt to discuss it, but I want to start researching and thinking about it now so I know my options going into my appt.

Any suggestions on where to start and input with your own personal experience? What should I expect to change emotionally and physically and how long before I feel the hot flashes and symptoms? I'm scared to have this happening at 33, but I need to embrace it and move on.

Thank you for your time and I hope to get to know all of you better over time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Re: Scared, lost and confused

First, everyone is different. Some women don't have symptoms right away, some do. I was one who had symptoms fairly early on, even though I was placed on an Estrogen patch immediately after surgery. I learned later, that this was probably from fluctuating hormone levels as my body used up its stored reserves of hormones and recovered from surgery.

It still took me months and months and months and months to find that place called balance. It didn't happen until I learned to practice patience and to not expect an overnight miracle.

I would suggest that you start by reading the articles at www.hormonejungle.com The articles are printable so you can print them out and discuss with your doctor.

Unread 12-13-2010, 04:41 PM

As Kim had said, everyone is different. My menopause started within a few days and it was horrible. I could tolerate the hot flashes-probably in part to being in medical menopause prior to surgery d/t Lupron- but the emotional mood swings and an inability to sleep for more than a few hours were pretty bad. It has taken awhile to be able to feel better and get everything balanced but it has improved to where I can sleep for most of the night. It just takes time to get it balanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM

Thank you both for taking the time to answer my post. The night sweats and mood swings have begun, so my doctor suggested 400iu of Vitamin E twice a day and that has worked terrific for the night sweats; as for the bouts of crying, I rely on hugs from my husband and kids (although the kids don't quite understand why mommy is crying all the time when she's not sad, lol!)
Unread 12-16-2010, 01:08 PM

Kim and Zennie, what do you think of the natural plant estrogens in soy foods?

Acrafty chic, I hope you feel better soon. I am a bit fearful that I may be in your shoes (sort of) next week. I know for sure that I will be having my right ovary removed, and possibly the left as well. My Dr. Discussed what you mentioned, Kim, about the patch immediately after surgery.
Unread 12-16-2010, 06:51 PM

I really don't know too much about it but can't have any soy foods because of allergies and horrible reactions to it. Kim or one of the others here probably knows more about it.
Good luck with your surgery next week. Hopefully the patch will help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register