One Ovary remaining but awful hot flashes? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One Ovary remaining but awful hot flashes? One Ovary remaining but awful hot flashes?

Unread 12-17-2010, 03:18 PM
One Ovary remaining but awful hot flashes?

I thought by keeping one ovary I was insuring no need for HRT. As a 48 year old, I had started having light and occasional hot flashes months before the surgery but now, 18 days later....I am waking up drenched in sweat EVERY night...plus am having hot flashes here and there throughout the day as well but normally only when 'doing' something like standing in line at the store with the DH or taking a shower.

It is a very noticeable and uncomfortable difference so I am quite sure I am not imagining it.

Maybe the increase is due to the physical stress on my body as it heals, rather than the loss of one ovary??

Any one else experience this? Ideas? I will be seeing my doctor for post-op next Monday and hope to remember to ask her this, but until then....just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Re: One Ovary remaining but awful hot flashes?

You could simply be going through natural menopause. I have both of my ovaries and am getting hot flashes as well. Although it isn't a surprise to me as I was getting the hot flashes before the surgery. I am in perimenopause and the hot flashes seem to come with the territory.
Unread 12-18-2010, 11:22 AM

You are still very early post op. During a hyst, the blood supply to the ovary(s) can be cut off and it can take some time for the ovary(s) to wake back up. Hot flashes can be as much from fluctuating levels as it can be from low estrogen. I would give it some time. I think it would be helpful for you to keep a journal of your symptoms. This may give you and your doctor a clearer picture of what is going on as time goes on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2010, 03:22 PM

Thanks, guys. I thought it very odd that hot flashes increased by tenfold following the surgery. Last night though was the first post-op night without a severe one. YAY!
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:46 AM

This just answered one or two of my questions, but I am still wondering my hot flashes didn't start and gain strength until 6/7 wks out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register