normal wait time for surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

normal wait time for surgery? normal wait time for surgery?

Unread 12-21-2010, 12:39 AM
normal wait time for surgery?

hey girlies!

heres a quicky for you.

How long did you have to wait for a surgery date, and then wait for surgery?

For me- it took me 2 yrs to convince the doc for surgery. a week and a half to get a 2nd opinion, and now 13 months (estimate) - it may be 14, for a surgery date.

im in ontario canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2010, 05:11 AM
Re: normal wait time for surgery?

Well, my doctors have been throwing around the idea for a couple of years. Of course we wanted to try everything else first. The surgery was kind of a surprise though. Last month I had a lap to clean out some endo and the surgeon saw what a mess my insides are and we decided it was time. I'm having the surgery next month. I'm still waiting on the exact date though...been waiting about a month now.
Unread 12-21-2010, 06:56 AM

Jennee,

Where in Ontario are you? I am in Toronto and will be seeing my gyno for the first time in mid January and will beg her to remove my fibroids. I want a hysterectomy. I can't imagine suffering another year with these things. Your post is scaring me. I was hoping for a maximum of 3 months wait time. Why didn't your gyno want to do it? What hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM

hello

i am in southern ontario.
My doc didnt want me to get it done bc he wants me to have kids. i tried for 9 yrs- this march itll be 10 yrs of trying. ive never been pregnant... so thats obviously not working.
he wanted me to think about ivf and iui and clomid and etc. and i said no it aint gonna happen.
i also thought by what the 2nd doc said that i would be in before next june for sure. She said to me, you should be on the road to recovery by march at the latest.. yeah ok!!

the hospital ill be going to is in windsor, on. the website says there is an avaerage of 165 days waiting time for the surgery. im hoping that counts weekends too!! if so thats only 6 months not 13 or 14.

ugh... toronto should be better. youd think so.

here is a link for ontario wait times. you can put in your postal code or the hospital, and theyll give you the closest hospitals.
waittimes.hco-on.ca/en/search/surgery/adult#/gynaecologic/hysterectomy
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:55 AM

I am in Northwestern Ontario (Yes... way up north in Thunder Bay) and my surgery was scheduled in one month. The surgeon said he was listing me as a priority so it would be a few weeks. If your surgeon listed you as an elective, that would be why you are waiting months and months. I did have to wait 3 months to see a gyn though, another month to see a different gyn to be told I didn't qualify for HIFU, and then a month for surgery. The wait times in Canada are ridiculous. For example, I was scheduled for an emergency MRI that the radiologist decided could wait a month. With my GP's intervention, it was scheduled in two weeks. Then when I saw the gyn three weeks after that, he didn't have the results because the MRI hadn't been read yet. When I saw the second gyn and after he told me I wasn't a candidate for the non-invasive procedure, I threw a hissy about the wait times and I am sure that is why I got tot see the first gyn back in 3 days to schedule the operation. I did have to do a lot of follow-ups with the receptionist to ensure she booked appointments. Might as well tell you this one too... when I followed up with the first gyn's receptionist to find out why I didn't have an appointment yet with the second gyn, she informed me that she was also the receptionist for the second gyn and that she hadn't yet sent the referral to herself. Can you believe it! Gotta love Canada's system!
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:08 PM

I am in Minnesota; I have been waiting almost 10 years. I have done eveything dr's have told me and am finally scheduled for January 20th. Evey dr I went to told me I was too young, even after telling me not to have any more children. I am happy to see some light, even though I am very nervous about the hormone thing.
Unread 12-27-2010, 11:53 AM

I found out Oct. 12 I have fibroids. I took some time to decide on when I could afford to be away from work and what semester to take off of school. When I called to schedule. It was scheduled for the month I wanted when I called. Ready for it to be out and over, My surgery is February 15.
Unread 12-27-2010, 12:12 PM

Since I was 12 yrs old, I have had problems with periods. It got better during the time that I had three children (pregnancies and breastfeeding, probably helped). Then it became worse. You learn to live with it, and I seriously thought most people dealt with the issues I had. Late 30's was diagnosed with fibroids, had an ablation which helped tremendously. Then, it became worse again. Lots of ultrasounds, had another ablation....big, boggy uterus, lots of pain all the time, lots of fibroids. In September my ob/gyn said he could do nothing more for me, except prescribe pain pills. He thought a hysterectomy would be my only option. Took me a month to warm up to the idea. Different doctor performed the Davinci hysterectomy. Had enlarged uterus, polyps, fibroids, and adenomoyosis. So...for me it was all of my hormonal life with issues, six years of fighting off the idea of a hysterectomy, and about six weeks from the time I decided to get a hysterectomy to get it done! Thankful to be on the other side. I should be a lot happier as I recover not to have cramps and feel horrible all the time. I will be glad to have my life back!!!
Unread 12-27-2010, 12:49 PM

Let's see:

1 wasted visit to the primary care who prescribed some hormones to "reset things". Whatever.

1 visit to the primary care to say "okay, this is starting to hurt" and get a referral for an ultrasound.

About four days of phone tag while my incompetent local hospital was unable to schedule my ultrasound because "our computers are down". Really? I mean, really? This isn't 1975, people.

One week to wait and then a couple hours for the ultrasound (at another hospital).

A day for the results to come back to my primary care, and thirty seconds on the phone to "discuss" results with my primary care and tell her to end the results to the gyn surgeon of my choice.

One minute to schedule a gyn appointment, two weeks to wait for said appointment.

Zero seconds to convince the gyn surgeon that I needed a hysterectomy.

Five business days to get scheduled. My request was "soonest date available."

Four weeks until surgery, about.
Unread 12-27-2010, 04:34 PM

Heavy, HEAVY periods started this time last year. Blamed copper IUD and got it out. Bladder issues, bloated belly and frequent bleeding even with Mirena IUD started in August. Regular exam in October detected large fibroid. Had follow up ultrasound scheduled for Jan 13th but got sick of issues and called to get in for consult on Dec 14th. Surgery is scheduled for Jan 10th.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register