LAVH Why does recovery take so long? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why does recovery take so long? Why does recovery take so long?

Unread 12-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Why does recovery take so long?

Hello, does anyone know why recovery takes so very long with hysterectomies? It would be nice to explain to people who are so amazed at how long it takes to recover. ( Ok, I"m one of those people too.) Is it because it involves a lot of tissue needing repair? Or because our body has to adjust to some organs missing?
Curious ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Re: Why does recovery take so long?

You are right, on both, major surgery with organs removed and tissue takes time to heal. I felt better around 6 weeks and took it easy so I would heal good so as not to have any set backs.

Wishing you a speedy and good recovery.

Unread 12-23-2010, 07:02 AM

i am six weeks post op and feeling great, but the body will tell me when i have overdone it.

i always wanted to know of the healing process after a hyster, internally esp. Coming from an embalming background and having seen these body parts myself in bodies, i was wanting to know what kind of healing happens.

I am guessing internal stitches?

I am not feeling up to going to gym, zumba classes or baking cookies but I have been doing alot of shopping and little carrying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2010, 10:25 AM

Because you had major organs removed. Then there are 100's of stitches inside that need to heal. Even if they cauterized parts, that still needs to heal. If you do too much to soon you can cause adhesions or scar tissue to form. So even though you can not see a lot of the healing, your body really needs rest. Best wishes to you!
Unread 12-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Seriously? We have 100's of stitches inside? I didn't know that. I had LAVH, left the ovaries. How did I miss that info.

I'm a little frustrated in that I don't seem to feel a little improvement every day. I feel that same today as I did on Day 5.
Unread 12-23-2010, 07:04 PM

My doctor told me that we have hundreds of internal stitches regardless of the way it's done. He said we are born with our bladders attached to our uterus as well. He said the tiredness comes from the tissue healing and that it can take a full year for everything to be fully healed! When your body is sick and it is healing itself, you generally sleep and rest. That is why we're so tired! I was shocked too!!! But being 5 weeks post op, I'm finally getting it. I go from feeling really good to being completely wiped out - it's crazy!
Unread 12-23-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeescape View Post
Seriously? We have 100's of stitches inside? I didn't know that. I had LAVH, left the ovaries. How did I miss that info.

I'm a little frustrated in that I don't seem to feel a little improvement every day. I feel that same today as I did on Day 5.
Hang in there! Week 3 was when I really started feeling noticeably better. Don't overdo it though, you will still get very tired.
Unread 12-23-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeescape View Post

I didn't realize that we had hundreds of stitches inside either, until I looked it up on the internet! It would be nice if we were told this before or even after the surgery.

I don't feel improvement every day either & I'm 9 weeks post-op from TVH. I still get tired and have bad days/nights, but my family tells me I"m getting better, they can notice a difference. I guess I'll have to trust them, as I'm feeling somewhat discouraged also. It's kind of a 2 steps forward, 1 step back process, which can be hard to take.

I guess we just need to hang in there, as it makes sense that it takes a long time for hundreds of stitches to heal...
Unread 12-23-2010, 08:11 PM

Yep you have hundreds of internal stitches. I had some kind of mess put in too that kept my organs that were left from adhering to any others & that hurt for a while. There is a lot going on in there. I watched the movie from the Kansas hospital. I am glad I didn't see it before the surgery but was glad to see what went on after.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register