Scheduled LSH Return to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Return to work? Return to work?

Unread 12-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Return to work?

My LSH is scheduled for Jan 10, 2011 due to a large fibroid. A little background- I work at a Pediatric Urgent Care where I register patients. I typically work every other weekend 9 to 9 both Sat/Sun and one day during the week. Heading in to flu season/very high volume so it is BUSY right now! Last Sunday we had 183 patients sign in and I was 1 of 3 people registering.

I will work the weekend right before I head in to surgery Monday morning (though my sister - who works there with me!- will come in for me at 3PM Sunday so I can be home with my family before surgery Monday) and my Dr. seems to think I will be okay to return to work in a month which would put me working my normal scheduled weekend of February 5th/6th. I have heard of others returning to work in days or just shy of two weeks. Is a month overkill or should I in fact take more? I know each individual and each job is different- and thankfully my boss is still trying to get the weekend of the 5th and 6th covered anyway so I don't have the pressure of HAVING to return- but I just didn't know if I was going to be bored senseless at home after a couple of weeks.

Financially I will have PTO to use for the first 2 weeks and then short-term disability will pay the at 60% the next couple of weeks...

My job MAINLY consists of sitting at a computer- but lots of up and down movement to take charts, file charts, sign in patients, etc.

Any feedback on what to watch for or consider that I may not be thinking about or expecting?

Thanks-

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Re: Return to work?

I could have gone into work a couple of weeks after my LAVH although I didn't have to (worked from home for three weeks), but the average experience seems to be that people need more than that. Two weeks is optimistic, probably not that unusual for a desk job, but probably not something to make plans on. If you can arrange for four weeks but would be able to come back earlier if you're up to it, that would be optimal.
Unread 12-23-2010, 11:27 AM

I would take as much time as you can. While you may get bored at home you will be surprised how fast you get tired. I would plan the month off & if you can go back early fine but give yourself the time. You only have one chance to heal correctly. Best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM

I work a very similiar job as you. I am a full time ward clerk at a local hospital, and do ER admissions and desk work such as taking off Dr's orders, answering phones, and answering call lights. I also hep with patient care at times, which includes lifting of up to 50 lbs. I am having a TVH tomorrow, and my doctor said tentatively, I should be back to work by Feb 1st. I work 12 hour graveyard shifts, so he did recommend half shifts the first week or two. For now, I'm off until Feb 1st and I just plan on keeping my employer informed of any changes. I'm also a full time student, so I arranged to take all my courses online this next term, so I won't get bored. Good luck with everything!
Unread 12-27-2010, 08:09 PM

My doc has me taking a full month off work too. I teach 8th grade, so it is a lot of movement etc. I think that I could go back sooner, but after talking to my hubby we decided it was best for me to heal properly and go back when the healing process is over. You only get one chance to heal correctly, so follow your doctor's orders. They know best.... =)
Unread 12-27-2010, 08:14 PM

Hi daisylily

Even just sitting vertically made me ache and swell for a couple months, so my recommendation is always to plan on taking as much time as possible--and then return early if you truly feel up to it.

If you experience any complications or find that you're having a hard time getting your energy back, you'll be glad you don't have to make last-minute arrangements to be gone extra time.

No matter when you go back, it might be easier to try to work half-days for the first week or go back mid-week to help with a smoother transition.

Unread 12-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Everyone heals a bit differently. The first two weeks I did not work at all. The next four weeks I was able to work at home over the computer, but sitting for a while caused swelling and I needed to take lots of breaks and take a nap at 3 pm every day, plus my clothes did not fit comfortably - thank goodness no one could see me! At six weeks I had to go on a business trip for an 8 hour a day conference - not easy! Every day you will get a bit stronger, but do plan for rest as much as you need it. My surgery was four months ago and I am finally 100%. As many wise sisters have said on this site before...you only get one chance to recover...do not overdo it!
Unread 12-28-2010, 04:27 AM

Thanks for the advice! I am just going to take it and not rush to go back. As you all said, I only have one chance to heal properly. Not only that, but if I go back too soon and find I need more time, it's harder to get the shifts covered and I lose my short-term disability benefits as soon as I clock in that first time!
Unread 12-28-2010, 04:59 AM

Man I wish I had short term disability coverage. I'm pretty scared about the financial aspect of being out of work so long. I think I might have 2-3 weeks vacation, and 6 days of sick leave. While my work seem like they're very understanding about needing time off for this. (it's a small-ish family owned business.) When I told my boss what was going on and that I was going to be needing surgery in a month or two she said that I shouldn't worry about my job at all. They'd find a way to cover everything at work and I could take the time I need. She even said I could start off part time when I come back. But I think needing to be able to pay my bill might end up driving me back to work before I'm really ready. I'm worried that I don't have enough vacation stored up, or that they won't pay me for enough of it, so I'll stop getting paid after two weeks. and will be out of luck and money till I can be working full time again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register