Climara/Estradiol patch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Climara/Estradiol patch Climara/Estradiol patch

Unread 12-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Climara/Estradiol patch

Hi ladies...Two weeks after my surgery I started with occasional hot flashes, but mostly dealing with night sweats and insomnia, or restless sleep. I thought maybe it was a shut down of the one ovary I kept, but had blood work done at my 6 week checkup and well it looks like I am post menopause. So much for keeping an ovary so this wouldn't happen. Doctor has prescribed Climara, and I received generic version today.

Well really wasn't expecting the size of this patch, what's up with this coaster I have to where for a week at a time?

And after reading the side effects....well I'm really not sure if I want to try this. Granted I realize when you read the insert or printout from drug store, it could scare the pants off of anyone.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Climara/Estradiol patch

Do ur symptoms make u feel bad enough to want to try the patch and see how it goes? I was 2 wks post op lavh kept ovaries last tues, havn constant hot flash, headaches, hives, not sleeping well, anxious, dr. put me on 2mg estradiol, i felt good right away, then few days later vaginal itching, i thought yeast due to estrogen dominance, didnt take the pill one day, itching went away, got a hormone headache last nite, dr said i could try 1/2 pill or 1 mg estradiol, still no itching, no headache 2day, i may even not take half one 2nite and see how i feel tomorrow, i hope my ovaries will kick in eventually, from what ive read it can b kind of an experiment to see what works, u may b too early to tell too, ur ovary may still wake up, talk to it theres my 2 cents
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Re: Climara/Estradiol patch

The generics are big and don't always stick well if you opt to try it, I'd ask for brand name Climara, or even more popular Vivelle Dot----or ask for samples. They are small. It's up to you to try it, or not, but you might want to try Estroven herbal or even just wait, if you have doubts. Or you could try it and stop if it doesn't work out---they have worked out for me and I can sleep now. But not everyone opts for HRT so if you try other options you may be OK with those and not need the HRT. Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2010, 09:42 AM

amjez, thank you "talk to it" LOL...unfortunately like my DH doesn't seem to be listening!

greyown, thank you as well.

I've decided to try out the coaster and see how it goes. Hopefully it helps. It 's a low dose patch so figured I would give it a try. However I can already tell there is no way it is staying on for 7 days. Will see, just trying not to be a "pita" about it.

Thanks again ladies
Unread 12-29-2010, 12:35 PM

I also want to recommend the Vivelle Dot if this one doesn't work out for you. It's much smaller and in my experience it stays on better. You change it twice a week. Most doctors have free samples so you can try it for a a couple of weeks first.
Also since there is no generic for Vivelle Dot, my insurance pays for it.

Good luck to you!
Unread 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Do keep in mind that you are not far along post op. Your remaining ovary could still wake up. I would suggest keeping a journal as if that ovary wakes up and you're using estrogen you may start having symptoms of too much.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register