Ibuprofen before surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ibuprofen before surgery? Ibuprofen before surgery?

Unread 11-10-2001, 01:23 PM
Ibuprofen before surgery?

Hi Ladies,

I am wondering if any of you were told not to take ibuprofen/aspirin before surgery because these meds can thin the blood. My Dr. has not mentioned it, but then I have not been told one thing I should/should not do pre-op, so I am just wondering if any of you have info on this.

Thanks!

Chellise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2001, 01:31 PM

I was told no asprin before surgery, Ibuprofen was ok for me. Check with your dr. to be sure. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 11-10-2001, 02:02 PM

Chellise,
Call your doctor and find out what you are allowed to take prior to surgery and what you definitely need to avoid. Each doctor is so different with Pre and Post Op instructions. YOUR doctor will know what he/she wants you to NOT do prior to surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2001, 02:57 PM

Chellise,
Hello!!
I was told at my pre-op appointment the drugs I was not to take 2 weeks before surgery. Maybe that's when they'll tell you?? Aspirin was one of the things I was not allowed to take. I also was not allowed to take my arthritis medication. So,I guess like everyone else has been saying - you probably should check with your doc first.
Good luck and best wishes!
LouiseM
Unread 11-10-2001, 03:03 PM

Hi

Here is one more person telling you to call your doctor.. I could not tke asprin or ibuprofen the week before surgery..... but that was for me, my body.... Only your doctor knows what he/she is expecting of you....

Good Luck

Traci
Unread 11-10-2001, 04:34 PM

Ladies,

Thanks for all of your good advice. I would call my Dr, but no one is in today, nor will anyone be in until Tues due to the long weekend. And, I seem to have done something to my lower back. Since my surgery is just a little over 1 week away, I think I will stick with tylenol.

Thanks again! :-)

Chellise
Unread 11-11-2001, 12:36 AM

Hello Chellise
I think you should call your as soon as you can, and find out for sure from him. But I have to tell you what happened to me. I had my pre op appt. 4 days before my surgery & I told him I was taking 800 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day for tindinitis (sp) and he told me to go off it right away. So I was off it for 4 days, and during surgery I lost a lot more blood that most women do. They put a second IV in me and were getting ready to do a blood transfusion, and then he noticed it was starting to get better, so he didn't do it. I had left instructions that I only wanted a transfusion if they had to do it to save my life. He told me he thought why I lost so much blood was because I didn't go off the ibuprofen soon enough. So if I were you I would not take it. But please call your Doc as soon as you can to make sure, and see what else you shouldn't be taking.
Take Care
Unread 11-11-2001, 04:23 AM

Chellise....

I was told no asprin (or asprin products, i.e. ibuprofin) for 2 weeks before surgery by my doctor. Was told that tylenol would be ok to take if I needed something. But, I agree with all the other sisters who said "Call your Doctor" to find out for sure what you are able to take. Good luck with your surgery and I hope everything goes well.
Unread 11-11-2001, 07:40 AM

Hi I was told not to take anything other than tylenol 2 weeks before surgery, and of course I had my period then and just about died from the cramps!! Like everyone else here had said call your Doctor to confirm, but I would not take anything! At my preop visit I was told that if I had they could postpone my surgery, and you certainly don't want that to happen!! Good luck!
Brenda
Unread 11-11-2001, 08:33 AM

I was told no ibuprofen, just Tylenol. I'm due to have my period on the day of surgery. My luck I'll have terrible cramps and won't be able to take anything.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register