Really, ovaries shutting down?!?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Really, ovaries shutting down?!?! Really, ovaries shutting down?!?!

Unread 12-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Red face - Really, ovaries shutting down?!?! Really, ovaries shutting down?!?!

I am hoping someone can explain some of this to me. I am 8 wks out and even before I had my surgery (LAVH, kept 1 ovary), I was beginning (again) to have symptoms of menopause. In the last 2wks, though, I have been having hot flashes from Hades!!! They keep me up for hours every night, but are not near as bad during the day. No night sweats or severe mood swings, but some depression. (I chalk the depression up to normal holiday blues, my mother dying at the end of Aug when my health problems started and, ultimately, to the resulting surgery. It seems a lot happened since the end of Aug!!!) So I began looking for information to find out what is happening to others on the feed and started finding that your ovaries can shut down?!? I guess when you think about it, I had 2 that were supposedly working fine (hormone wise), even though one was nothing but a mass of cysts, and now that the cyst covered one is gone, technically I have only 1/2 the hormones I did before the surgery. Would this be considered 'natural' menopause because I still have one, supposedly, working ovary? Would this even be considered menopause? How do you handle no sleep? And does anyone have any experience with the OC natural/herbal hormone replacements like Estroven? How/why do your ovaries shut down anyway? And, why doesn't anyone tell you about this minor side-effect of surgery?

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Re: Really, ovaries shutting down?!?!

DJ,
It may be too soon to tell if your ovary is shutting down. There can be lots of ups and downs as your body recovers from surgery. Perhaps your ovary is attempting to pick up the slack for the other ovary, but is sputtering at the moment. Hot flashes can be from fluctuating hormone levels as much as they can be from a defiency. I would give it some time before assuming the worst. I would recommend that you keep a journal of your symptoms so you can see over time if things are getting better or worse and if you develop other symptoms.

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:12 PM

I So understand!!!! I kept one ovary to prevent that and was stunned to find myself battling raging nights sweats, insomnia and crying jags post-op.

My doc said that the shock of my two back to back surgeries has appeared to make my one ovary "sluggish" and that it should subside over the next month or two.

Last night I only had one sweat but.....I FINALLY got a full nights sleep otherwise. It was amazing. Hang in there. My doc said there are things to help if needed but she knows I try to avoid meds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:57 PM

It could just be in shock. It may start back up.
Unread 12-30-2010, 02:05 PM

Leia L,

I try to avoid meds unless absolutely necessary, as well, but at least they could have warned me this could happen. I really just hate surprises, especially of this type.

I will try and be patient, but I have my final post-op check on the 5th and I will bring it up to my doc then, just so he knows and can chart it for future reference. Thank all of you so much for being there and supporting all the 'sisters'!!! I don't think I would have kept my sanity without it these last many weeks.

DJ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register