Vaginal Hysterectomy Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Hysterectomy Questions Vaginal Hysterectomy Questions

Unread 12-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Vaginal Hysterectomy Questions

Hi,

I am scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy on January 12 and I have a million questions.

What should I expect? Is recovery easier because the abdominal muscles are not cut? When will I be able to drive? What about returning to normal activities like cooking, cleaning etc.? Will I need another adult around to take care of me post-op and for how long?

I am single parent of a 7 year old are there things I should do to prepare her? When will I be up to caring for her again?

Are there recovery issues that no one tells you ahead of time?

I have scheduled 5 weeks off of work. Hopefully that will be enough. Do I really need that long? Do I need longer?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences and knowledge. I really appreciate it.

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Re: Vaginal Hysterectomy Questions

I had a TVH and also have a 7 year old, so I know what you are fearful of. I told my son that there was something yucky in mommy's belly that needed to be cut out and I would feel a lot better once that was done. I also explained that the doctor would "glue" / stitch me up to help me heal, so I would need help from him. He has been absolutely wonderful-better than my 13 yr old! LOL I would definitely try and see if you could get someone to help you at home post surgery. My mom came to help me out and it was wonderful. She cooked, cleaned, helped out etc. I think that taking 5 weeks off is great. DO NOT go back before then even if you think you are ready. There is a lot of healing going on inside of you. Best of luck to you girl!
Unread 12-31-2010, 05:17 PM

I agree, absolutely don't go back to work before your 5 weeks is up! Even though you might feel better, there will be hundreds of stitches inside of you, something I didn't realize before my surgery. My husband stayed home for the first week, & it was definitely necessary, I got tired quickly & didn't sleep all that well.

The recovery generally goes easier than an abdominal surgery, but everyone is different, so your level of pain will be different. For me, I left the hospital 1-1/2 days after surgery & didn't need anything stronger than 2 Extra Strength Tylenol for the pain, & that was only for a couple of days. BUT, I didn't do ANYTHING for the first week, other than shower, dress & go for occasional walks around the house.

As for cooking & cleaning, I started cooking my 2nd week, but my husband would take over when he got home from work so I could go & sit down.
I have 2 teenagers, so I'm in a different boat than you as far as kids go. I was 7 when my Mom had a hysterectomy though, & she drew me a basic picture of uterus, with ovaries beside & showed me what they were going to take out & why.It helped alot to know exactly what was happening to her.

Good Luck, I'm sure you'll make out just fine. Remember to pamper yourself afterwards; you only get 1 recovery, so take the time to let your body heal properly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Hi there,
I am brand new on here and came across your message. I have a vaginal hysterectomy scheduled for 10th January.

its nice to find someone who is pretty much on my timescale. I don't know about you but I am spending most of my time in a bubble, it all seems a bit surreal, i was fine until Christmas and then it hit me that I have my op in a few weeks, now only 9/10 days away, I'm thinking about it all day every day. I don't have any children but I do have 2 dogs. My boyfriend ensures me that I won't need to do anything.

I feel like you do, just feel I have so many questions.

Good luck with everything.

monkeychops x
Unread 01-01-2011, 12:21 PM

Thank you for your responses! I will plan on taking the whole 5 weeks and maybe see if I can get a little more based on what I see here.

Monkeychops, I feel very much like you do. It is all very surreal. I just ignored it until Christmas. Now it is suddenly less than 2 weeks away. I have big meetings to prepare for at work on the 7th and 10th so I am now focusing on those to avoid really freaking out over the surgery. I am afraid that if I think about it too much I might chicken out. At the same time I need to know what to prepare for so I came here.

It is good to connect with someone who is going through this at the same time.
Unread 01-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Best of luck to both of you ladies!! It is kinda scary to read some of the posts on here pre-op... Everyone heals so differently and has different reasons for the surgery, but the general post-op rule is TAKE IT EASY!! I have three young ones at home and was totally useless the first few days, they stayed with my mom, and the youngest stayed with her for 10 days so I couldn't pick her up... long 10 days, but totally needed! I'm rambling, but trying to say that I def. needed the extra help with the kids and with the cooking and cleaning... so get as much help as possible for the first week or two.
Best of luck!!
Unread 01-01-2011, 12:43 PM

I had a TVH a year ago. Everyone is different. I went back to work about 1.5 weeks afterward. I felt great, just my legs felt achy --my job involves standing all day. My doc said I was ok working, but that I might be pushing it a little. I work for a doctor, so I knew he would let me take breaks and all, so it was okay. I had no pain after 2 days after surgery.
Unread 01-01-2011, 12:47 PM

I see that you are in Seattle, I'm in Wiltshire in the UK and I know they are alot more generous with 'sick time' here in the UK, I have been told to plan for 6 to 8 weeks off work.

I have thought about chickening out but then I got the mother of all periods this morning, 1st one since April so I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. Anyway, its almost like its my bodys way of reassuring me that i'm doing the right thing. I can't wait to see the end of all this.

Thankfully its a bank holiday this weekend so I have two days to laze about the house feeling sorry for myself. Then just 4 days at work. Like you I'm going to get stuck into my work for those 4 days, I have to get 3 months worth of work all prepared so i won't have time to think about it.

I think next weekend will be really hard for me and thats when I think I will clean the house from top to bottom, get my case all ready and clean bed clothes and towels ready for when I get back. I don't want to leave my boyfriend with loads to do. We have two dogs too which my boyfriend will have to fit in around hospital visits and work. I don't have anyone less than an hours drive away so I cant see i'll be drowing in visitors.

Oh, my parents have leant me their camping loo, i know it sounds odd but I only have a toilet upstairs and I know you're not allowed to climb stairs unaided for a while and it means I can stay downstairs with the dogs and kitchen etc while my bloke is out at work. I'm going to use our front hallway as a temporary loo as we don't use the front door much for access.

I've had a few other recommendations such as a nightshirt/nightie instead of pyjamas as you won't want anything round your belly. Erm, take some knickers a size or two bigger than your size as you will be swollen and you will have to use large sanitary pads for a bit. Also take unperfumed, hypoalergenic toiletries with you. If I think of any other good tips I'll let you know.
Unread 01-01-2011, 12:53 PM

1 and a half weeks?! Wow your body heals quickly!

Actually that is something I had heard, that alot of people feel great after 2 weeks but they have stayed strict and not taken on too much.

Lets wish for a speedy recovery for all of us.
Unread 01-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Well, I scheduled it the Thursday before thanksgiving, so I would miss little work... just a few days prior to thanksgiving. That way, I was able to go back to work in December. I was pretty vigilant... I made myself walk around the hospital as soon as I could, and when I got home, I made my husband walk with me through the neighborhood about 1-2 miles every day for the first week or so.

I had thought I would need more time than that, and thought I would hurt worse, but I didn't. I had prepared loose clothing to go home in, etc. I even bought a "grabber" in case I couldn't bend over. I was just lucky or blessed with a great surgeon.

Frankly, I was driving after 1 week and could touch my toes within 2-3 days. I had no swelling, no tenderness.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register