When to start HRT - post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When to start HRT - post op? When to start HRT - post op?

Unread 01-07-2011, 12:52 PM
When to start HRT - post op?

When I went in for my post-op check up I forgot to ask when to start hrt. I don't know if I should have started taking something already. I emailed my dr. but he's out of the country and I don't want to spend an hour on the phone waiting to talk to the advice nurse.

I thought I read that hormones stay in your body for about 30 days, Correct?

TLH on on December 13th with my second post op appointment scheduled for February 3rd.

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Re: When to start HRT - post op?

Hi Lynn! to HysterSisters!

I started on hormone therapy the day after my surgery. Some women wait until they start having symptoms. How long it takes for hormones produced by the ovaries to deplete post-op varies from woman to woman. If you're doing well without the hormone therapy, you may want to wait until you have symptoms or until you can contact your doctor's office.

I hope this helps!

Unread 01-11-2011, 01:14 PM

I waited until I needed them. And it was only 6 days. You will definitely KNOW you need them. Maybe you will get lucky and not have to go on them. But it would be nice to have them at home already at least as some samples to have on hand for the day you do. I woke up on that 6th day and it was like I was in an alien body. I really knew that my body was different and in a major way. I had a post op on the 7th day and brought the patch home with me and felt better by the 8th day and now at the 10th or 11th week have no symptoms at all. Been good for about 4 weeks now.
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2011, 11:22 PM

Thank you all for your advice. I just keep thinking I'm too **** young for this.

The dr has ordered my prescription but I had to have it specially ordered. Should be here by Monday or Tuesday.

I've always tended to be warm, add to that I sit in the hottest part of the office, and then hot flashes on top of it all.

Thanks for letting me whine!
Unread 01-16-2011, 12:30 AM

Hi Lynn-
I began having raging hot flashes the day after my surgery. What I thought were hot flashes prior to surgery were nothing compared to the ones after.
I waited it out until my first postop appt. and doc gave me the vivelle .1 patch. It has worked wonders after only having it on about 36 hours. I have only had 1 hot flash in the past 12 hours (was having several a day and taking an average of 3 showers a day because of the hot flashes combined with night sweats). I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.
I agree with the others-wait until you need it. You will know when something is not right. I hope this helps.
Unread 01-16-2011, 12:34 PM

Since I had my ovaries removed as well, my doc had a patch put on me while I was still in the recovery room.
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:14 AM

The nurses out one on me during pre-op so I had it on even before my surgery. I have continued to use it since. When I went in for my first post-op appointment (1 1/2 weeks) I asked the nurse how long until I know if it is working & she said I would know already. I agree that you should have it on hand just in case.
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM

That was the question I was going to post, but I found yours instead. I had LAVH on Jan 10-uterus/overies removed. I thought I would be on HRT, before I left the hospital, but while getting ready to leave the hospital and all the hustle and bussel, I fogot to ask if I was suppose to get any. I'm trying to hold off till my post-op appt next Tues. But the nightsweat/hotflashes and no sleep are getting to me, but I hope I can hold off for acouple more days.
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:38 PM

You might call your Dr. and let her know .. I left with my prescription and changed my patch one day later than I should have and started having night sweats and crying. As soon as I changed the patch that all went away. There is no reason to torture yourself .... just call and let her call something in. At least you will have something to get you started.
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:16 PM

HRT is a concern for me too. I am 42 and have been having menopausal symptoms for a while now. I am having my LAVH with BSO on Feb 15th. I am having Lupron shots now (total of 2) to try to shrink my uterus and fibroids prior to surgery and am being put into a mini-menopause. I was reading these posts and see that maybe the hot flashes I have been having are milder than what I thought! It feels like someone puts a heating pad on me and turns it on high. Is this mild or just a taste of what will happen post-surgery? I have also been very moody and argumentive. Being bipolar also, and on meds, I didn't think it was that, so it must be part of the Lupron's side effects. I felt great for the first 2 weeks now I am on the downswing! I am concerned about the HRT I will get. I go on the 27th for my Lupron shot and hope to know more then.
Hope all works out for you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register