Scheduled TLH Jan.21 is closing in ... getting apprehensive. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Jan.21 is closing in ... getting apprehensive. Jan.21 is closing in ... getting apprehensive.

Unread 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Jan.21 is closing in ... getting apprehensive.

Hi! I've been a member here for awhile now,,when I first thought that a hysterectomy would be in my future. Since then, only a D&C was in order. Until now. By my own decision .. doctor allowing it to be mine .. but in strong agreement of my decision ... I am having a complete hysterectomy, along with the ovaries. It will be a '3-hole' laparoscopic surgery, with a hospital stay of just 1 night, if all goes well. (praying for that of course!)
How I ended up at this point: over the past few years, I have had problems with heavy bleeding. Being in my 50's, I just thought this was normal pre-menopausal bleeding. After an annual PAP and chat with OB/GYN, I found that it's not necessarily a normal period. So..a D&C was done in December of 2008. (A benign fibroid was found.) That took care of the bleeding problem .. for awhile. Until August of 2009,,,when I was having back surgery,,I began bleeding again..and after that, sometimes heavy. Because of mom's recent (2009) uterine cancer, my doctor was more concerned this time, so we had another D&C done in August. The fibroid had grown, plus I now have another one ... but, no cancer! So, according to the doctor, a hysterectomy was not a MUST, but it was up to me. Saying that she strongly understood my concerns because of mom's history.
So, I've opted to have all parts removed, feeling that that is less parts to have cancer concerns with...seeing as my mom and grandmother both have had it now.
That is my history/story. I was/am so sure of having this done, but now that my surgery date is only a few days short of a week away..I am feeling nervous and a bit of anxiety over what I am doing. I suppose this is normal, but I just needed to come to a place where others understand.
Thank you for providing a safe place to go for such support.
God bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Re: Jan.21 is closing in ... getting apprehensive.

You've come to the right place!

I also got to make my own decision between an ablation and a hysterectomy. I chose hysterectomy for different reasons than you did, but I also found myself second guessing right up until they knocked me out. The good news is that I've felt so much better since surgery than I did before, and I'm only 11 days out! Also, in my post-op appointment I learned that my doctor, who wasn't happy about the hyster at first, thought it was a good thing we did it once he looked at the pathology. He then admitted that women typically know what they need/what's wrong with them even if they don't do enough research to know the technical terms.

Trust yourself! You have valid reasons for doing this, and your doctor actually supports you. I can't promise that your recovery will be as easy as mine has been (physically, the stir-crazy part is a whole 'nother story), but I can promise that you'll get through it and have no more bleeding or cancer to worry about!
Unread 01-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Thank you, Morgan, for your reassuring words. Although I'm sure it's just normal pre-surgery doubts and jitters,etc....it is all so 'real' nonetheless. And encouraging words are always appreciated at times such as these.
God bless you! And so glad you are on your way to 'normal.'
Enjoy the journey!
~deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM

My surgery is the same day as yours. I had an ablation in September, but we discovered rapid growth fibroids shortly there after. I'm anxious to have the surgery,only because I want this all over with. Praying that the Lupron shots shrunk things enough that they can go lap....if not, oh well. I'm 46 and tired of looking 5 months pregnant.

I know we'll both be fine because we have God on our side. Just press into him and you'll do great!
Unread 01-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbevo View Post
I know we'll both be fine because we have God on our side. Just press into him and you'll do great!
Thank you for those reassuring words! At times like these, when we get so wrapped up in our anxieties, it's so easy to forget our True Strength. But YES,,God IS on our side!
And it's also reassuring to have another sister in Christ stand with you! Thank you!
Keep me posted on yourself.
God bless you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register