Special K diet and HRT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Special K diet and HRT Special K diet and HRT

Unread 01-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Special K diet and HRT

I had my LSH-BSO Oct 25th. Started my HRT 6 days later. At about my 6 week point I had stopped having hot flashes, night sweats and insomnia. I have been doing really good for about 4 weeks.

I decided to try the Special K diet to lose the "6 lbs in 2 weeks" and went and bought all their products. Yesterday was my first day. All went well so far as being hungry. I had plenty to eat and the foods tasted good. I am hypoglycemic so I made sure to have the protein cereal and the protein bar along with my 2 Special K snacks.

I had a horrible night last night. Just kept tossing and turning and waking up hot. Then finally a real night sweat hit me and I was so disappointed since I thought I had passed thru that stage already.

After I woke up I was wondering about why things had gone down hill. And I had a very vague recollection of reading something before my surgery, so I came in here to search for the post. This is it here:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=418238

The higher the protein in the Special K stuff, the more Soy that was in each product. I had apparently overwhelmed my system with phytoestrogens yesterday. I will not continue on this diet as I feel 90% sure that was my problem last night. I just wanted to make yall aware also that you might want to think about what you ate when you are having menopausal type symptoms after you are feeling better.

I am thankful that my mind pulled that niggling thought up this morning or I would have suffered thru 2 weeks of that without correlating the problems with the food.

Tracy C in SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Re: Special K diet and HRT

Oh, yes, forgot this part.

I was talking to my sister this AM and telling her about it. She told me she had started the diet last week so was a week and a half in. She said that she had been unable to sleep last week and just thought her hormones were off. She is about 7 yrs post op but has always had a hard time getting hers balanced. Anyway, she had no idea that there even was a plant estrogen.

That also makes me think the 2 things are linked. That was enough evidence for me. Now some of you may not be as sensitive to the soy in your diet and be fine. But it's just a thought if you are having a bad time of it.

Tracy
Unread 01-14-2011, 03:07 PM

I did not even realize all this, I have more soy in my diet than the standard person becuase I have celiac and soy often is put into the gluten free stuff. So does the plant estrogen stuff cause menopausal symptoms? Because you were describing menopause stuff with the night sweats and stuff, but I know they suggested I try soy before I went on HRT to help my hot flashes but I never saw improvement. I also try to eat a decent amount of protein- eggs, peanut butter and stuff like that. Hmmm... I got some research to do lol, thanks for posting this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2011, 03:19 PM

I drink soy milk and eat soy cheese because I am lactose intolerant. I do take hrt, have noticed no difference with eating soy products. One difference may be my surgery date, which was 11+ years ago. The early months post op can be a time of hormone fluctuations and upheaval. It took me well over a year to find some semblance of balance.
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:44 PM

yes, I am sure we are all different. I want to stress that the soy bothered ME.... like the sunflower seeds bothered the original poster. I suggest you do your own research and follow ups. I just posted so that someone else may skip a rough couple of weeks if they didn't know.
Good luck
Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register