Teenagers | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-12-2001, 01:44 AM
Teenagers

If there was ever a time to have teenagers.... hyst recovery is it! My teens have been a HUGE help.

I think for 14 year old DD.... having her periods and knowing what i was going through made her understand my reason for the hyst... we were "on the same page"

I think for my 13 year old DS... he has become more of a man through this. Picking up the slack and letting me rely on him. He has enjoyed helping me when I could not tie my shoes.... or when I needed my milk poured.

My relationship with these 2 has been forever changed. We are closer since I have had to look at our relationship differently. I have had to let go a bit and realize what they are capable of.

I think we were all pleasantly surprised.

Traci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2001, 07:50 AM
teenagers can be wonderful!

I'm with you, Traci. My teenage son (I have 2, but one is away at boarding school) has been a huge help to me also. Can you imagine having toddlers running around? Yikes!

I guess teenagers DO have their redeeming qualities.

Maggie

TAH, Burch Bladder Tack, Fibroids, Endo., Aden., Horrible periods since I was 11 yrs old.
Unread 11-15-2001, 10:00 AM
Another Teen Fan!

I have to agree with you both...TEENS are awesome! Not just to help and understand about hysterectomy...but they are starting to really become friends at this stage.

I have four...14 DD, 14 DS, 16 DD, and 18 DS! My 18 year old lives a block over from me...and it is hard when they leave!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2001, 08:52 PM
Jello

Raising teenagers is like nailing jello to a tree.
Unread 12-05-2001, 09:14 PM
Hmmm....

You really think so, July2000? Personally...after being through every age and stage...I think most of the teen years are the BEST! Now...a few months of 16...that I can not forget...the ornery little boogers!
Unread 12-06-2001, 02:36 AM
Teenagers

July, you have such a way with words. I survived the teen years....I have three children, all adults now. It took me a while to clean up all that Jell-o under the tree though.
Unread 03-21-2002, 10:13 AM
Teenagers

I was just talking to a friend about this the other day. I have 2 teens, 13 and 17 *almost* both girls. I would take the teen years over the terrible twos any day of the week!

I really feel that the parents have a lot to do with how they act, so kudos to y'all!

Ours are good, and they were totally helpful when I was first in recovery...now at 3 weeks, well, all is back to normal?!

Sara
Unread 03-24-2002, 11:33 PM
Teenagers

Ahhhh, Teenagers .... Gotta love em!!!!!! I have a DD who is 15 and a DS who is almost 13 and I LOVE it!!!! I feel these are the best years we have had so far. I prefer it to the little kid stage! They were wonderful during my recovery and still are. DD much better than DS, but he is getting there. I work with teens too at a middle school and I really have fun with them. I love being able to talk on a level with them that they understand and I can understand them. Teens have so much against them these days that we as adults need to really be there for them in a BIG way!!!!!! Gadget, I agree with you, parents have a HUGE part in how teens act etc. Teaching in a middle school I see so much heartache. For the most part, what I see is kids that are on the path to destruction have parents who for whatever reason are not able to be there for their kids in the way the kids need them to be there. Believe me, there are many reasons parents can't be there. I am not saying that every problem a teen has is the parents fault. I have seen wonderful parents and the child for whatever reason goes down the wrong path. We just moved to a new town and my DD had to start high school here. She was crushed to leave her friends she had had for her whole life. She was also very excited for the new adventure that awaited her. Well we/she has found out that the adventure is harder than any of us expected. She is surrounded by drinking and pot smoking teens in the high school. I feel so sorry for her as they don't include her cuz she won't "party" with them. She stays home with us most every weekend. The weekends she does do anything it is with a girl who is younger than her and not yet in high school. It is very hard these days for our teens. I feel their pain and try to be there especially for the ones that really don't have anyone in their corner. It is not always easy to be the one who stands up and finds the good in some of the teens at my school. I get looked upon by other teachers sometimes as ... I don't know what, but it is obvious alot of times that they are not happy with the fact that I stick up for the troubled teens. Hey, someone has to!!
Unread 03-25-2002, 08:26 AM
8)

Great post, Jen!

I agree with you...not all "bad kids" come from "bad parents!" (And vice versa) I have witnessed the "perfect parents" have the kid who tried every drug and drink, is suicidal, won't obey rules, disrespects authority...etc. I have also seen the kid with the sh*t parent(s) who lie around and party...are barely waking up when the kids are coming home from school, spend their foodstamps on crack...turn out to be awesome! Think it is them wanting better? Rebelling against that goody two shoes idealistic scene? That is why we should all not judge others...you never know when youwill be walking in their shoes.

I am another parent who LOVES the teen stage! Sure...they have their ornery moments, too...but I agree...it is so nice to talk to them like BIG people instead of little people.

How many of you are like best friends with your DD's? I have a plaque on the wall that reads, "Having a Daughter is like growing your own best Friend!" I love it!!

Hugs all!
Unread 03-25-2002, 08:56 PM
Teenagers

Hey Tigerskat ... I LOVE that plaque saying!!!!!!!!!! My daughter and I are very close, actually closer than I thought and this is why I say that ...... We were in Wal Mart the other day and we were looking at the Chicken For The Soul books for teens, she wants the new trilogy (spelling) one, so we were checking it out. She found the journal for teens one and opened it up. The page she opened it to said list the things you like about your mother. Well I said to her "OH that page is not nearly long enough LOL" we both laughed. The next page said list the things you don't like about your mother. I very seriously asked her to tell me something she didn't like about me. She looked at me and said there was nothing she didn't like about me. I said "seriously, tell me one thing you don't like about me." She looked at me, smiled and said "Mom, I am telling you the truth, there is nothing I don't not like about you." WOW!!!!!!!!! Talk about one proud mamma! I have honestly NEVER felt the feeling I felt just then in my life!!!!!! It was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

She is my best friend and more so each year it seems. She tells me the same. She is mature enough to handle that kind of relationship and not take advantage of it. She knows I am her mother first and respects me for that. I respect her and she respects me and adults in general. I think that is why so many of my friends just LOVE her and say they want their daughters to grow up just like her. What a compliment that is, and we hear it alot!!!!!!!

I never had a relationship with my mother. We talk now and then, but thats about it. I feel blessed to have such a wonderful daughter and wonderful relationship with her. She is certainly my pride and joy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register