Hormone problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormone problems Hormone problems

Unread 12-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Hormone problems

Hello,
I don't know what I am doing yet on this site!! But I had a hysterectomy in 1993 and have been on patches for years. Last summer, I thought I would try to cut a small piece of my Vivelle Dot and taper it very slowly. I have needed a lot of hormone since my hysterectomy at the age of 35. I have worn a .1 and a .05 both. Plus, when I switched from Climara to Vivelle dot, I had to add a 1/8 section cut from a large patch besides. That 1/8 piece of patch is what I tapered over five months. In September, I had horrific anxiety and got bad heart palpitations. I went to the ER. They blamed my thyroid, but my TSH was perfectly normal. Since that time, I have been monkeying with my dose, trying to get back to a normal sort of life. It's been over ten weeks. At first, I tried to return to my old dose (the 1., the .05, and the 1/8 piece). But I think my hormones were so far down that it did nothing for me. I panicked even more and raised it up to 1. and .75. But then I panicked about having too much hormone and then cut it back again. Finally, two weeks ago, I was so fed up with the misery that I put two .1 patches on my butt and tried that. Over the past two weeks, I have been getting better ever so slowly. But today, I had a round of heart palpitations that just made me go nuts. I am at least sleeping again and my heart beats normally most of the time. I notice I get very cold before a string of flip flops. I am just wondering if this is a common thing, or what? I have read that once you establish a dose, it takes four to six weeks to level out?? I hate to take so much, but my body is maybe not absorbing it as well, or I just need the hormone more than before? I have an appt. with an OBGYN in two weeks. No one has EVER tested my hormones! So it's been guess work for years. I have felt good for many years until I tapered my dose, or if a patch fell off in the past. Palpitations were one of my first symptoms after my total hysterectomy so many years ago. Will this get better? Does anyone have any words of encouragement? I feel like bawling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Re: Hormone Levels Post-op

Love the name HomornalHilda!

I sure hope your GYNO can help get you straightened out. I am just starting on the hormone replacement rollercoaster for estrogen. I have already done the thyroid and adrenal glands replacement and think I have those under control. (Had a pitiutary tumor in 1999)

I'll say a prayer for you, please let us know what the dr has to say.
Unread 12-08-2010, 05:39 PM

I, too have had heart palpitations but everyone I've seen says it's my thyroid. (All my tests have come back fine) I'm thinking my ovary gave out and that is when I started having all the problems. Thyroid and hormone fluctations are very similar!
HormonalHilda-I hate that you are having such a rough time. Hopefully when you go to the dr you will get straightened out! Hormone testing sounds like the way to go. Just to see what you're levels are! Right before my TAH, my PCP ran some tests and my estradiol was less than 7. For someone my age it should be way beyond that. (I just turned 32)
I hope you both the best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2010, 06:05 PM

Hi Withered and Winky31,
Thanks for your replies. Withered, you probably are on the start of this hormonal thing. I hope you get adjusted quickly. My ObGyn from several years ago was worthless for helping me afterward. About six weeks after my surgery, I got horrific anxiety, bawling, and palpitations. I could not sleep. My heart would race when I would lay down. It was terrible. I returned to him and he said, "Oh, you have anxiety." Duh. He also sent me to a heart doctor to get a holter monitor. My heart was fine. It's shocking that he did not recognize menopausal symptoms!! I had to go to a library to read about menopause! Then I found a doctor who prescribed a second patch for me. The .1 was not enough for me. I was on 1. and .05 for years and it worked well. I did have a few meltdowns when my patch fell off. Everytime I would have an incident, they would blame my thyroid. My thyroid levels were normal!!

I had thyroid cancer in 1985 and had a total thyroidectomy. I am fine. I was 25 and now I am 51.

But at the first sign of menopausal symptoms, yell! Have your doctor adjust your medication. Don't wait until it's a total nightmare. But if you have a good doctor who is on top of things, then hopefully she or he knows what they are doing! At least you have blood tests!!! No one EVER tested my levels. And even now, I am winging it. I asked my GP about doing a test and she said, "we are family practice here, we don't do that sort of thing." She was sort of rude to me while was was half nuts in her office.

I will say that at least in the last two weeks, my mood and my sleep have gotten much better. The palpitations are a lot less too, but I find myself being very distraught that I still have them at all. I want my old life again.

When they get you stabilized, stay put! Don't be tempted to taper them because untold misery comes and it seems to last for weeks!!! I cannot believe how long it takes to get readjusted on the hormones!!

Best wishes to you on getting settled in. I wonder if you have a lot of muscle twitches? That was one of the first things that I noticed after my surgery. I have also noticed that same thing since my hormones have been screwed up. They are getting better, too.

Hang in there and stay on top of your doctors!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register