cone biopsy ?'s | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cone biopsy ?'s cone biopsy ?'s

Unread 11-12-2001, 05:43 AM
cone biopsy ?'s

Hi:
I'm scheduled for a cold knife cone biopsy this month for CIN3 which came up in both paps and cervical biopsy. One of the biopsy samples also showed glandular involvement and because of this the dr. wants to do cold knife cone to go deeper than a LEEP.
My question is if I get clear margins with the cone and if later the dysplasia occurs is it possible to repeat a cone or would a hysterectomy be my only option?
Thanks in advance,
Gayle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2001, 07:28 AM
cone biopsy ?'s

I didn't have the cone, but see no reason why a repeated cone could not be done. This would be something that your doctor would be better to answer. I would imagine that everyone is different. Take one day at a time and try not to worry about what may lie ahead too much.
Unread 11-12-2001, 02:53 PM
cone biopsy ?'s

Hi Gayle, I had the option after my leep , to have a cone biopsy but I decided to go for the hysterectomy as my CIN3 was an aggressive type. I dont know much about cone biopsies, sorry.
I think though that it is best to cross each bridge as it comes, after discussion with your Dr. Best of luck and please let us know how it all goes , love always x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2001, 05:59 PM
cone biopsy ?'s

Hi Gayle,

I had a cone in '89 for dysplasia. My paps were normal for 10 yrs. In '99 I had another Cone. The pap 3 months later was abnormal again, so we decided to proceed to the hyst.
Unread 11-12-2001, 06:45 PM
Indeed...

This is indeed a question best answered by your doctor.

I had a cone, and my margins were clear. However, after investigating the medical literature, I came to realize that even with a cone with clear margins, there is a 10 to 30% chance, depending on the study, that there may be other lesions further down the canal.

Since I did not need to preserve fertility, I opted for the hysterectomy. The biopsy did turn up one additional cluster of abnormal cells. I therefore do not regret my decision.

The operation and recovery was not as traumatic as I'd anticipated. I would do it again, in a heartbeat.
Unread 11-13-2001, 04:18 PM
cone biopsy ?'s

Yes, in the majority of circumstances it is possible to have a second cone (maybe even a 3rd?? I have no idea--ask your doc). The problem you get into with multiple procedures over time is that the scar tissue builds up and then it can be very difficult to get good samples for PAPs and biopsies. My doctor actually recommended that we proceed to the hysterectomy after my LEEP because the samples they got were not good quality because of scar tissue (I had a cone, 2 freezings, several biopsies, and a LEEP since 1986). My doc felt the LEEP would be sufficient for our purposes but he did say that a cone was a viable option for us. Good luck!
Unread 11-15-2001, 05:40 AM
cone biopsy ?'s

Hello everyone:
Thanks to all for the helpful and informative replies. I'll see my dr. on Mon. for my preop so I will have another chance to ask more questions. I'm very nervous and scared about the whole procedure and the possible results.
This board is great and is a comfort.
Love to all,
Gayle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register