Have some questions?!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have some questions?!? Have some questions?!?

Unread 11-12-2001, 07:27 AM
Have some questions?!?

I am wresteling with a decision that is more than likely the most important one I have ever had to make in my life. As many of you know I have recieved a diognosis of Stage 1 Ovarian cancer and surgery has been recommended ASAP. However, the dr has said the CA-125 levels are 73, through a little research this number is relatively low to what I have seen. He says that below 35 is normal, but I have been seeing levels reported with ovarian cancer over 600. Also, he said that it is not metastisizing, now does'nt that mean then that the cancer is not spreading. So would it hurt to wait to have the surgery until the beginning of next year so I can spend the holidays with my family instead of being down for yet another holiday?!? Also, I am finding it difficult to believe that after having the TVH in August and things looking fine, how can cancer develop this quickly. The dr. said that normally when it strikes it moves quickly and it is usually not caught until late stage 2 or stage 3, but they diagnosed me just barely 3 months after surgery, how can it be that fast. I guess what bother me is that the blood test levels showed alot lower levels than others I have read about with ovarian cancer. I did ask the dr about that and he said it is due to it being caught so early and the higher number are from a higher progression of the disease. Of course he is saying I need to do this ASAP and I just want to wait until next year if I can. I would greatly appreciate any input, that may help me further progress in making a critical decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2001, 07:37 AM
Have some questions?!?

This decision has to be your own, but you really need to think this through before deciding anything. Your doctor said, ASAP and he has seen patients in your same situation before. He is looking out for you. How important will the holidays be after they are over and you have the possibility of facing the fact that your cancer had spread. One holiday is not much at all when you compare it to a lifetime of good health. I guess it is pretty obvious of what my opinion is. I say, have the surgery done now and get it over with so that you can be healthy sooner. I know that the holidays are special, but so are YOU!! Take care!!
Unread 11-12-2001, 07:45 AM
Have some questions?!?

I just read your post on the Road less traveled and responded
there. I am glad that you still are debating about the
surgery. Please read ALL the posts to you on the Road less
traveled, and there will probably be posts here as well.
If your doctor feels that you need this surgery ASAP,
and you have had that second opinion that agrees, it
would seem that it would be to your advantage to listen
to your doctors.
I know you don't want surgery again, and you want to
feel normal during the holidays. However, if this cancer
appeared so quickly within 3 months, it seems likely that
it can spread and become much worse by Jan. after the
New Year. Time is not on your side right now.
You are blessed that it was found so very early. That is
the problem with ovarian cancer, it is found in the later
stages. Please seriously consider having the surgery ASAP.
It will be an inconvenience now, but in the long term, it
could mean that you will finally have good health again.
If you can't decide, make another appointment with your
doctor ASAP with your husband to again discuss the entire
medical situation.
I am praying for you for wisdom to make the right
decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2001, 08:11 AM
Have some questions?!?

Hi Dawn,
I too replied to you on the Road forum and you know my feeling on this. I wish my cancer had been discovered as early as yours has been. Because as I told you my tumor was only growing for 5 months, and at that point was Stage II.
This is ovarian that you are dealing with, and its very true its usually not caught until later stages, so do you realize how lucky you are that you have the opportunity to rid yourself of this, with a very good change of not needing further treament?
You have to be the one to decide, and as I said before I pray you will have this looked after now, as I would hate to see you post here in a couple months, saying....."I wish I hadn't waited" Chemo and radiation are not fun at all, and as I said before I woudn't wish what I went through on anyone, but Dawn, we will be here whatever you decide. Please don't let this go. It will be a much happier Christmas for you and your family Dawn, if you do this now rather than be constantly wondering if its getting worse.
Hugs,
All the best.
Maria
Unread 11-12-2001, 08:02 PM
Please listen to me!!!!

Dear Dawn,
I posted today a story about how hard it is for me to accept the loss of my friend who died on November 9th from ovarian cancer. Dawn, my friend Eileen put off her health issues until it was too late. By the time she was diagnosed and treatment was started she was at Stage 4. Eileen has left 5 children, 10 grandchildren and numerous friends like myself who will never see her ever again celebrate the holidays. I want you to go to my profile and read my post that I wrote. I want you to contact me, so that I can help you do the right thing. I can not sit by and watch another woman take her own life away.
I am a trained medical laboratory technician who has worked in cancer research. I am also a freelance writer who did a great deal of research before having a TAH/BSO on July 24th.
I am truly upset that you know you are at Stage 1 and are thinking of putting off the necessary procedures to rid you of a cancer that can go to Stage 4 before the New Year.
Dawn, do you want to celebrate many other holidays in your life? You are a young woman, who could and should have many more holidays ahead for you. Eileen will be buried on Wednesday and all of us will mourn her a very long time. She was 63 years old last week. She didn't even have the ability to celebrate this birthday because she was dying.. No more birthdays, no more holidays!
I realize that this is your ultimate decision. Please give yourself a chance to live a vital life. Cancer moves very quickly. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Be brave and strong. You will have me and other hyster sisters supporting you.
Please forgive my roughness and demanding attitude. I don't want to see another woman suffer the way Eileen did for 2 1/2 years. I don't want to see another vital woman lose a battle that could be won. I am tired of death and tired of priorities being misplaced.
I hope to hear some good news from you. Please feel free to contact me or any other hyster sister. WE WANT YOU TO LIVE A LONG AND HEALTHY LIFE! GOOD LUCK!!!
Rebecca
Unread 11-12-2001, 08:46 PM
Have some questions?!?

Hi Dawn , what fear you must be feeling right now. I cant really add much to what every one else is saying but this is how I felt when first diagnosed with cancer ::

When my oncologist told me that they had 'found' cancer and that I would have to have the internal radiation. I just said to my dh and family that I would rather end up in a coffin than have to go through that. But then the fighter came out in me. And the rest is history.

I know having cancer is a terrible thing, but you must fight. Ovarian cancer is the silent killer, it grows so quickly and you are fortunate enough to have found it much earlier than usual. No one can ever make the final decision for you but you must think long and hard about this. Holidays come and go every year and next year they will happen again. Why not seriously consider having this surgery ? Your life is so much more important than any old holiday. You are very much loved here and in your family.
Best of luck with it all and we will all be holding you very close to our hearts. x x x x
Unread 11-13-2001, 04:09 PM
Have some questions?!?

{{{Dawn}}}

I can't really add much to what the others have said, but I will add that I found out about my condition (which was precancerous and fortunately remained that way) about 2 weeks before Christmas last year. And it ruined my holiday. I cried the whole time because I was afraid that that might be the last healthy holiday I had with my children. And there were still tests to run and results to wait for and other procedures to do before we could determine the final appropriate course of action. It might just be a wonderful thing to go into the holidays thinking "I'm cancer-free". I know you're afraid you might still be in that recovery period at the holiday (and you will be), but likely you won't be totally down. Most sisters are in bed for 1-2 weeks and then just take it easy for the rest of recovery (follow your docs orders!). Let someone else cook dinner, or have it catered. Or go out! Sometimes a nice, quiet holiday is good too. Consider giving yourself a healthy future for a Christmas present (along with peace of mind).

Whatever you decide, Dawn, I wish you happiness, health, and peace.
Unread 11-13-2001, 06:02 PM
Have some questions?!?

Dawn,

I don't know a whole lot about ovarian cancer, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

When my father was diagnosed with lung cancer, the oncologist described the way cancer cells divide. They don't divide like normal cells (multiplying by 2). They split like they are crazy and out of control. One cell can divide into a thousand cells. He had a chest x-ray the previous year that showed nothing. When he was diagnosed, it was already Stage 4.

When I had my colposcopy, the doctor didn't see anything. By the time I got to the oncologist 3 week later, the doctor and nurse could see it with their bare eyes. It had grown to Stage 1B that fast. (I had cervical cancer)

I'm not trying to scare you Dawn, but please think long and hard about postponing your surgery. Your doctor has probably seen many cases like yours. With cancer surgery, the sooner the better.

Sending you many healing wishes.
Unread 11-13-2001, 07:54 PM
Have some questions?!?

The only thing that I can think of to add is not to be in denial about how fast cancer can act. No one wants to be in recovery for the holidays, but you might try to think of your early diagnosis as an early holiday present. This gift can keep on giving by giving those who love you many more years with you.
Unread 11-14-2001, 06:40 AM
Have some questions?!?

Hi Dawn:

Just one thought, my CA125 level was the same as yours -- the tumor found was not cancerous -- the CA125 test was not repeated. A friend of mine's mother died of advanced ovarian cancer, her CA125 test was NORMAL while she was in the hospital near the 'end.'

I'm told you cannot put alot of faith in this test -- it's more an indicator. I think the holidays are a great time for surgery, lots of people around to take care of you! Good luck with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register