Switched to Compounded Hormones | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Switched to Compounded Hormones Switched to Compounded Hormones

Unread 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Switched to Compounded Hormones

Switching to Compounded Hormones

Hello,

I am new to this site!! I'm so grateful that I've found it! I don't know if I'm posting in the correct area so I'm sorry if I'm not.

To make a long story short, I was on Premarin for a number of years - no progestin/progestorone. My doctor, in the midst of the hormone scare a couple of years ago, switched me to the lowest dose of premarin and I started having all kinds of problems. I tried going back to what I was using but it was too late and it wasn't helping me anymore (the same way it was in the past). Since then I have been here in the hormone jungle trying to find my way out!

I just switched to a doctor who specializes in hormone replacement. She started me on 0.5 mg Vivelle Dot and 100 mg Prometrium. The Vivelle Dot caused a rash so I was switched to 0.5 Climara patch which was worse (rash was even worse)!! On 1/11/11 I was switched to compounded hormones - 0.1 mg Estradiol cream and 100 mg Progestorone SR. To me it seemed like the dose that I was given was doubled - from 0.05 mg (patch) to 0.1 (cream). I called and talked to the pharmacist and he explained that the 0.1 mg dosage is a very, very low dose and although I could half it if I wanted to, I would be okay taking the full 0.1 mg dosage. I have heard such wonderful things about compounded hormones so I was very hopeful but so far, I'm feeling horrible... Headache, major brain fog, hot flashes and absolutely no energy!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how long I should give things to adjust? I don't want to give up too soon unless I have too.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Re: Switched to Compounded Hormones

Hi

First of all, to Hystersisters.

Now, concerning your HRT. It takes lots of us many tries to find the right product for our HRT. So, you are not alone here. It can take up to 6 weeks to feel the full effect of any dose change. However, I do think it is a good idea to call and let the pharmacist know what symptoms you are still having. My pharmacist is my best advocate when it comes to getting the HRT balanced. Here is a link to a list of symptoms of not enough or too much of Estrogen, Progesterone, and Testosterone. Some of the symptoms are on more than one list, so I always look at all three and see which one I have the most symptoms on. It may help you talk with your Dr and/or Pharmacist.

Too Much Estrogen, Too Little

I hope you look around our site. It has a lot of useful information and support.

Kay
Unread 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Thank you Kay. I really appreciate your reply!

I read the "too much/too little" information and I think that I'm going to try cutting my dosage in half tomorrow and see if that helps... That would take me back down to where I was (0.05 mg) before I started the compounded cream (0.1 mg) on 01/11/11. I also called my doctor's office but she isn't in this afternoon... They have left her a message to call me first thing tomorrow morning. Keep your fingers crossed... I just want to feel somewhat normal again! I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Well, I was thinking your symptoms might be that you aren't getting enough estrogen. Do you still have your ovaries?

Kay
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM

No, I don't have my ovaries...

Maybe I will stick with the dosage that I've been on for the past week until I talk to the doctor this morning. I'll keep you posted...

Thanks...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register