Cervical Cancer: How long did you have to wait for surgery? (kind of long, sorry) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long did you have to wait for surgery? (kind of long, sorry) How long did you have to wait for surgery? (kind of long, sorry)

Unread 01-22-2011, 05:42 AM
How long did you have to wait for surgery? (kind of long, sorry)

For those of you that already had your surgery/cancer treatment, how long did you have to wait after your cancer diagnosis until treatment began?

Here's some history about my situation:

My first abnormal pap was in August of 2007, mild dysplasia. In 2008 it was mild/moderate. In 2009 it was moderate. Then last year is was severe. Each time, they did colpo and biopsies, which confirmed the dysplasia but didn't show anything more.

I had a cone biopsy in December of 2010, to hopefully "cure" the dysplasia. The results showed micro invasive cancer, with no margins.

At my gyn oncology visit on January 5th, he did another colpo, and could still see abnormal cells, even after the cone. He said the cone included come lymph channels, and there were cancer cells in the channels, so they suspect some lymph node involvement. He thinks that the cancer actually started further up in the cervix, which is why it's cancer on the inside and was only dysplasia on the surface. He recommends a radical hysterectomy, then radiation and possibly chemo, depending on how far the cancer actually goes into the cervix and how many lymph nodes are involved, if any.

All of that is enough to totally freak me out. BUT the soonest he can get me in for surgery is February 21st! I don't know what the cancer is doing, but the cancerhead is growing quickly!

I know that waiting is one of the hardest parts of this disease, so I'm trying to learn patience, but I don't to wait TOO long and find out later that I should have pushed it or found another option. You know what I mean? Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Re: How long did you have to wait for surgery? (kind of long, sorry)

Hi! I just wanted to tell you I can relate! While I don't have an official cancer diagnosis yet, I did test positive for a Lynch Syndrome genetic mutation, which puts me at 71% lifetime risk for endometrial cancer and 12% lifetime risk of ovarian cancer (also other cancers-Colon, etc). I also stared having symptoms in December (bleeding between periods, urinary frequency/ urinary urgency). So I have a major case of CANCERHEAD too. I requested a TLH BSO on Jan. 3rd & they could not get me into surgery until Feb 25th. So I am thinking that I definately have cancer & now it is Spreading while I wait!
Sending you hugs!
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:35 AM

I waited a week with endometrial ca. Even then the workup had already taken weeks so I worried. I don't know how long the usual wait is but it seems a 2nd opinion wait for appt could end up with about the same date---although a 2nd opinion is good if you have any doubts. I got in quickly due to a cancellation but a longer wait would have stressed me. Waiting is hard but that's fairly soon and you'll have time to prepare. Sorry you are going through all this. Best wishes for your surgery and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2011, 08:00 AM

I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma of the Cervix on May 30th 2010, I could not have surgery booked until I had an MRI because the gyn/onc thought it may have spread past the uterus... in that case they would not do surgery they would just treat with radiation and chemo, so it took 1 month to get a MRI, my gyn/onc decided it was contained and could perform surgery, I did not have surgery booked until August 10, 2010.... I was upset and told my gyn/onc that I kept imagining the cancer spreading and he said that I had the cancer for 5-10yrs that it was not going to spread in 2-3 months. It didn't make me feel a lot better but I did make it through...stay strong and try to stay busy and keep your mind occupied...but those thoughts are hard to dispell.
L.
LAVH, Lymph nodes taken/kept Ovaries
Stage 1A2, Adenocarcinoma of the Cervix
New Biopsie 10/12/2010
Results Clear
Unread 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM

I had a cone biopsy June 11th for adenocarcinoma in situ. My results came back invasive cancer. I had a radical hysterectomy June 30th. I am so glad I didn't have to wait long because I would have been a mess wondering how far it spread. Luckily it was only 1B1 and I don't need any further treatment.
Unread 01-22-2011, 12:46 PM

Cancer wasn't suspected when I had my LSH BSO on 3/25/10. It showed up in the post-op pathology. I was referred to a gyn-oncologist who said I had to wait until I healed from the first surgery before he could do cancer staging surgery, a minimum of 6 weeks.

My staging surgery was 5/17/10, so it was almost 2 months. I couldn't start chemo until I healed from staging, so that was another 5 weeks. When I finished chemo, I had to wait 5 weeks to start radiation.

I finished rad on 12/16 and ever since then, I've been waiting for my first followup appt with the chemo doctor on 2/7. (I'm on pins and needles to find out what my CA125 will be.) Then I'll have to wait another week for a followup with gyn-onc for exam, then I'll have to wait for pap results and then wait until my next 3 month followup and then ...

It goes on and on. But I think waiting for the staging surgery (which is where you are now) was the hardest time of all. I wanted the cancer OUT of me and I wanted to know how much it had spread. Once I knew exactly what I was facing and what treatment I needed, it got easier. Not easy, but not as hard.

Hang in there. We'll be here to support you every step of the way.
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:21 AM

I was diagnosed with cancer on 8/11 and started chemo/radiation 9/23. For me the tumor had to be shrunk before surgery was possible.

I actually delayed treatment by a week so that I could travel to Scotland. My Oncologist told me that as long as I didn't delay "months" it wasn't a problem.

What helped me pass the time was to research what I would do AFTER treatment to get myself healthy again. The Anti Cancer Life and any of the Crazy Sexy Cancer books are wonderful!

Hang in there!!

((( hugs ))))

Julie
Unread 01-23-2011, 12:18 PM

I received my official dx the first week of April 2006 (The 3rd.4th, or 6th...can't remember exactly which day). I didn't have surgery until May 15th. I was told I would need further treatment at my first follow-up appt. Radiation with the chemo booster started on my 5th week post-op. I hope this gives you some peace of mind. While naturally you want it out ASAP, have faith that your doctor won't put you at any further risk.
Unread 01-24-2011, 03:17 PM

I was formerly diagnosed on 6/11/09. My tumor was too large to remove surgically so the Gyno Onc decided radiation and chemotherapy were the best options. When the attempts at brachytherapy failed the decision was made to have an RAH-BSO, which was performed on 10/2/2009. It took the hospital a month to schedule the surgery so your turn-around time for your surgery seems about right to me.
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:26 PM

I had my surgery 8 days after my biopsy showed cancer. I had it done laporoscopically though.
Could you try someone else?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register