Do hormones effect weight gain? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do hormones effect weight gain? Do hormones effect weight gain?

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Re: Do hormones effect weight gain?

Thanks so much for your replies. I am curious how many of you had bloodwork done shortly after your surgeries to see what you may need in regards to hormones? I guess I just presumed that a dr would watch for reactions to hormones and do bw to make sure what a patient was getting and make appropriate changes in meds to their needs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2011, 10:00 AM

Thanks Avatar! Ill admit that the first couple of days comfort food reigns but Im going to get back on the food track starting tomorrow, considering Im laying around it does no good to have mashed potatos and greasy food just cuz I can
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestotravel1 View Post
Thanks so much for your replies. I am curious how many of you had bloodwork done shortly after your surgeries to see what you may need in regards to hormones? I guess I just presumed that a dr would watch for reactions to hormones and do bw to make sure what a patient was getting and make appropriate changes in meds to their needs?
IMHO testing during the early weeks/months is not going to be very helpful. It can take some time for your body to recover from surgery and use up its stored reserves of hormones.

Also, test ranges are generally very broad and we all will not feel the same at a given level. If after a year or more if you are still having difficulty, than testing may be used as a tool, a tool to go hand in hand with the symptoms you are experiencing.

I do think it is helpful to keep a journal. It was the journal that I found to be the most telling of when I was on the right track with the hormones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2011, 03:25 PM

Journal sounds like a good idea. May check that out and start one.
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:45 PM

By way of update (and I promise that I will stop posting about my weight!) I am pleased to report that I lost 6.2 pounds after my first week at WW. I am frankly really heartened by this as I have read so many negative stories about how hard it is to lose weight while on HRT. I know that this will slow down and I will be (hopefully) doing the 1/2 pound per week thing, but I did feel like shouting out, yes, it can be done! I had (tearfully) told my Leader about the HRT last week when I first joined and I know that she was very happy for me...I am hoping to use this as a motivator to increase exercising as it is now so cold in Canada that I just want to roll up in a round ball and hibernate until Spring!

Of course, on the flip side, during the past week I have noticed the occasional and very mild beginning of a hot flash...I have read that losing weight does sometimes impact on the efficacy of HRT, but that is small concern compared with the overall health benefit. The vigilence will have to continue & if I have to 'rebalance' again, so be it.

In response to the question about bloodwork after surgery-yes, I have done it and will be checking every year...

Best,

Unread 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM

Thans Avatar, and congratulations on your weight loss! I joined ww online but have been recouping from a gallbladder/hernia operation so havent been able to use the program. My surgery is 30 days from today!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register