What now? New study shows increased breast CA risk w/ HRT started near menopause. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What now?  New study shows increased breast CA risk w/ HRT started near menopause. What now? New study shows increased breast CA risk w/ HRT started near menopause.

Unread 01-29-2011, 07:32 AM
What now? New study shows increased breast CA risk w/ HRT started near menopause.

I saw in the news that a million women study (in Britain, maybe?) shows that if you started hormone therapy close to the time of menopause, you were at an increased risk for breast CA. But if you started hormone therapy 5 years after menopause, then no increased risk. Has anyone read this? Please share insights/thoughts!

I have been on Vivelle Dot .05 mg. since my hyst. back in 2007 when I was just turning 47, so I am naturally concerned about this study. However, it looked to me like the increase was only to 4.6 women out of 1,000 compared to 3 out of 1,000 which doesn't seem like that big of a risk change... does it?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...tudy-says.html

Thanks,

Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Re: What now? New study shows increased breast CA risk w/ HRT started near menopause

I have read about this study in 3 different online news sources this morning...of course it caught my eye because in recent years the thinking has been that if you start HRT early in menopause, it's less risky than starting it a decade later.

While these results concern me, I also realize, as you did, that the risk is still quite small. I think all of us know that we accept some level of risk when we start HRT and most of us try to use the option that is the least risky while taking care of our symptoms/problems.

Being drop-kicked into menopause at 43, I cannot imagine having waited 5 years to start HRT. 2 years after starting HRT, my bone density declined from normal to osteopenia....and I also have high cholesterol that is hereditary (that has been high since my 20s).

I will surely discuss this with my Dr at my next visit which is not until November...by then we'll probably have heard more about this....but the way I look at it is that it does appear to help my bones (in addition to diet, exercise and supplements), it does offer some cardio-protective elements, definitely helps my severe brain fog, which was jeopardizing my job, and basically allows me to function almost normally now. I cannot imagine being without it. I'll keep getting my mammograms annually.

I can certainly see my Dr titrating my dosage at an earlier point than he and I discussed originally. I started out at .05...then went to .075 for about 2 years and at my last visit this past Nov, I told him of some new things that I'd noticed (like zero breast tenderness, etc) and he said that was an indicator that my estrogen had completely bottomed out so I am now up to .1 (you're still a young woman, he said -- bless him).

It's a trade off....I think most of us realize that...we just have to make the best decision we can based on our own personal risk factors/family history....I'm going to try to not be too worried about this! :-)

I'd be curious to hear what others start to hear from their doctors.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register