LSH/BSO 8+weeks & feeling great! (children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Laparoscopic Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH/BSO 8+weeks & feeling great! (children mentioned) LSH/BSO 8+weeks & feeling great! (children mentioned)

Unread 01-29-2011, 08:49 PM
LSH/BSO 8+weeks & feeling great! (children mentioned)

I have had issues with my cycles since I was a young teen. I always had long, heavy period with lots of pain. I saw my Dr back then & it was blown off as normal cycle pain. After a while I just got used to it. I would take pain relievers as needed & had stock in maxi's. After the birth of my first child I went on birth control pills & that seemed to help. It regulated things anyway. Then when we decided to try for baby #2 we had fertility issues & after blood work ups I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism & put on meds. With the help of fertility meds we had our 2nd child & once again I went on birth control pills. My cycles seemed to get worse & more painful after we had #3. I started passing clots with every menses & had once again had fertility issues. With this work-up I was diagnosed with insulin resistence & then PCOS a short time later. We had then decided to be done trying for another baby & then a month later it happened. After #4 was born I had more pain then ever during my cycles & each one got worse & worse. I was taking pain meds regularly. Tylenol & Motrin didn't even cut it so I was taking Darvocet for 1-2 weeks per cycle. It was hard eneough to get out of bed let alone care for the kids & do all that needed to be done around here. This is when my Dr started suspecting endometriosis. I was told I could try ablasion or Lupron shots as an option. I have already used birth control for years & that didn't do anything & the Lupron shots are short term treatment. I talked to my Dr about other choices & decided a hysterectomy was the choice for me. I got a second opinion & this Dr agreed with the first. Now we needed to decide whether to take the ovaries or not. My Dr wanted me to keep them but said that was my choice to make. I decided to have them removed as that is where most of my pain was coming from these days. Well, in my lower back too. I could barely stand up most days it hurt so bad. I already knew the hysterectomy wouldn't cure the PCOS but it would get ride of the cyst aspect of it. My Dr agreed & the surgery was scheduled.

The afternoon before my surgery came & it was time for the bowel prep. I had taken 4 Dulcolax & drand a 32 oz Gatorade with Miralax, then took another 4 Dulcolax. Wow, I barely got any sleep that night. We were at the hospital a 6 am the next morning. After getting registered I was taken to get changed & have a urine test done to check for pregnancy. I had a few papers to sign & stuff as well as questions from the nurses to answer. Finally, I was taken in & met my surgical team, IV was started & I was asked even more questions. My Dr explained to me again, the procedure (LSH/BSO). I had an estrogen patch (Climara) put on & was wheeled into the operating room. Once in there things went quickly. Well, it seemed that was too me. I was moved from the gurney to the operating table & given something in my IV as well as having a mask & being told to take some deep breathes. That's all I remember until I was in the recovery room.

I woke up, sorta in the recovery room & felt terrible. I was in so much pain & was so sick feeling. I had a pain pump & could push it as often as needed. I was dosing in & out & feeling so bad that they kept me in recovery a bit longer. Once I was more stable they took me up to my room. I don't remember the trip up at all, probably a good thing. I still wasn't feeling too well so they gave me more meds for that. I had troubles all day & couldn't eat anything but ice chips. I had a cathater so I didn't have to get out of bed until my night nurse made me. As much as I didn't want to, I am glad I did though. I had numerous doses of antibiotics given in my IV & was really happy with the pain pump. I was given some other pain meds through the IV as well. I had 4 incisions, one at my hair line, one in the belly button & one on each side & had a total of 7 stitches. I still don't know if I had any internal stitches. I know my Dr cauterized internally but he never did say anything about stitches & I never remembered to ask. I stayed one night & was home resting just after lunchtime the following day. The next day my Dr called with my pathology report & not only was there endometriosis as suspected but I also had adenomyosis. I had never even heard of adenomyosis but was happy to have a reason for much of my pain. I used my pain pills for about a week for the post-op pain & then only as needed which really wasn't much. My recovery seemed to be well on track if not ahead. My stitches were removed a week after & all my incisions looked great. At 5 weeks post-op I was given the all's clear from my Dr & must say, it was a great feeling. I never expected to feel this good so soon after. I did have a little burning, pulling pain at 6 weeks post-op & made an appointment with my Dr. He said it was probably pulled muscles. I am feeling much better now. I wake up with no back pain & can even make it through the day with no pain. I am so happy with my decision to have the surgery & the out come from it as well. Having had my ovaries removed, I am on an estrogen patch (.1mg) & that is working well. I couldn't be happier so far & can't wait to enjoy life without all the pain & other issues.

I also want to say that I am very happy to have found Hystersisters. I was given so much information before my surgery & continue to get support still. In turn, I try to be there to support & help others here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register