Vulvitis... hormonal?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vulvitis... hormonal?? Vulvitis... hormonal??

Unread 01-31-2011, 02:29 AM
Vulvitis... hormonal??

I am 43yrs and 7 yrs post Hysterectomy, kept my ovaries.
For the past year I have been experiencing vaginal dryness, and some irritation after intercourse, this is despite using KY (which sometimes causes stinging sensation for first few seconds after use)
Have never seen my GP about it....
Until this summer , which has been exceptionally hot & high humidity.
(I'm from New Zealand, so summer here at the moment)
I broke out in a heat/sweat rash round my panty line and inner thighs.
Managed to get that under control with over the counter cream.
I then started experiencing vulval itching, which I thought could be the start of thrush.
Used a thrush cream for several days with no releif, if anything it made me feel worse.
Saw my GP who prescribed me Diflucan tablet, which gave me relief for 2 whole days. He then prescribed an antibiotic Tiberal, which worked for 3 days. He hadn't done an exam at that point.
I went back to see him, and he did an exam, including a swab for thrush which was negative.
He prescribed a vaginal estrogen cream (here it is called Ovestin) as well as a steroidal cream for excema/dermatitis.

It is now 4 weeks since I saw my GP. Can't say the Ovestin has helped yet, and the cream he prescribed made me feel as bad as using the thrush cream, so only used for one week.
I have gone through all the other common reasons ie no new soaps, washing powders, perfumed toilet paper
I really am at my wits end.
The whole outside of my labia is red raw, with stinging more than itching.
The only time I get any relief is when it is a cool day or if it rains.
It's as if the heat and my body temperature causes it to flare up.

Sleeping at night is near impossible..... any suggestions here?
My GP did say that if I kept getting vulvitis he would, refer me to a Gynae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Re: Vulvitis... hormonal??

Hello, Lindsay!

It's been a while since you posted--are you doing any better now? I don't have any personal experience to share but hopefully someone will see your thread who can relate, and will reply to offer information.

Perhaps your doctor could prescribe a different type of vaginal estrogen if you're still having problems. There are several options for vaginal estrogen here in the States, such as Premarin cream, Estring, compounded estrogen and Estrogen cream. I'm not sure what's available to you there.

Unread 04-25-2011, 06:59 PM

Hello...I can relate...I am 47..kept my ovaries..but they aren't really working that great..my dr told me he was pretty sure I'm peri-menopausal and since my lavh..he thought my ovaries might not work..anyways..I can relate to the dryness and irritation..I am on vaginal estrogen..which helps me a lot. However, I'm still working on the best amount and how often to use it..I had an awful time last week - I hadn't used it in a week and the burning and dryness was almost unbearable. For me it almost feels like a yeast infection, but much worse. I get very red and irritated. I did 3 nights straight of the creme and it helped. If you find the creme irritating I would definitely go back to your dr and see if there is another type or brand you can take. Good luck to you!! HUGS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2011, 04:35 AM

Thanks for the replies, I had forgotten I had posted.

It turns out that I did have thrush, and because my Doctors nurse gave me wrong results back at the end of December I thought I just had a really bad case of a heat/sweat/hormonal rash.
I saw my GP at the end of January who did another swab... it confirmed thrush, and discovered that the previous swab 4 weeks earlier was thrush.
So it turns out I had 6 weeks of untreated thrush
My GP prescribed me a long term course of Diflucan and Canesten.
Finally between Feb and April, it was under control and I felt great.
I have still been using Estrogen cream 2-3 weekly and I do feel it helps with vaginal dryness, and KY no longer seems to sting.
Now this past week the familiar itchy/burny feeling is back but only around my pubic area. As if I had a really bad razor burn from shaving.

I am now thinking could it be hormonal, as in recent months I have really noticed symptoms, sore boobs, bad skin etc every 28 days. Which is this weekend.
Time to see a Gynaecologist you think?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register