Can feel the mesh; Update--Complications from mesh erosion surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues > Mesh Erosion Support

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can feel the mesh; Update--Complications from mesh erosion surgery Can feel the mesh; Update--Complications from mesh erosion surgery

Unread 10-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Can feel the mesh; Update--Complications from mesh erosion surgery

I am scheduled tomorrow for urodynamics at a teaching hospital. Can feel the mesh, can't sit because of pain and numbness and have severe incontenence. After going, I have painful spasms of uretha. I am very worried about the outcome of this awful situation and my heart goes out to other women going through this!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2010, 08:21 AM

I understand completely what you're going thru and know what that pains like. You need to find a dr that will remove, and has experience removing, ALL of the mesh. Not part... ALL. I finally had this done this past july and I almost feel normal again. You'll feel soooo much better. I still have some incontinence issues, but my energy is back, most of the pain is gone, and my body feels about normal!! Good luck with everything, I hope you start feeling better soon!
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Thumbs up - Can feel the mesh; Update--Complications from mesh erosion surgery Re: Bladder Sling Mesh Complications? PLEASE REGISTER

Thank you for those encouraging words.* I was supposed to have the urodynamics done yesterday but after driving 100 miles they told me I have an infection so it's been put off for 2 weeks.* Next week is the cystoscopy.* I just want to get rid of mesh and feel better!! Thank you again !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2010, 07:20 PM

I had all of those tests also before they did my removal surgery. I too had terrible uti that took 2 different antibodies to get rid of. I wish you the best, just stay strong!!
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Re: Bladder Sling Mesh Complications? PLEASE REGISTER

can anyone tell me what tests are used to determine where the mesh may have eroded?* Thanks!
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:21 PM

If you think its eroding vaginally, you can feel it, and you can have your dr confirm with a pelvic exam. If you think its eroding into your bladder, a dr can do, I think its called a cysto, and they would see it. Any other organs, I'm not sure.
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:31 AM
Complications from mesh erosion

Hello!! Just had surgery for mesh removal in va. Surgical report said I still have mesh in thigh and pelvis too difficult to remove. GREAT!!! Does anyone know how I will know if this mesh starts causing problems. I'm having leg pain right now and have had a bladder infection ever since the surgery that won't go away. Thank you!:
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Re: Complications from mesh erosion

I question whether "too difficult to remove" means, too difficult under the circumstances and with that particular physician? Espcially if is being done in an outpatient surgery center. I am about to have a second procedure to remove a piece of mesh that was left by a uro-gyn who said the same thing. Too small, too hard to get to "but don't worry it won't be causing you any problems" and I now have real problems. So I am seeing a urologist with plenty of experience removing these things and I am trying to be hopeful. It amazes me that they are so easy to put in but nearly impossible to get out completely and they cause real damage. I wish the FDA would pull approval of them.
Unread 02-01-2011, 08:15 AM

estherrae--

I'm sorry that you are having pain and problems.

How experienced was the surgeon who did your removal? I had 2 removal surgeries before I found a more experienced one who did my last removal. I realized that the first doctor was never going to be able to remove the mesh properly. The piecemeal approach was NOT working! I was sooo everlastingly tired of having tiny pieces cut out of me and still having pain and feeling that 'window screening' junk vaginally.

When you recover from this, it would not hurt to find someone with more experience and get another opinion. I found 2 experts by calling the offices of UroGYN's in my area and asking their head nurses. I explained my situation, said I was willing to pay for consults but that I didn't want to waste the doctor's time or mine. The head nurse is a fountain of information and is usually very willing to say whether 'her' doctor is one who has the expertise--and time--to do the job right or whether he just doesn't. (Nurses are awesome sources of info, by the way.)

Anyway, I found 2. Went on the consults. Chose one of them and had the removal surgery 4 years ago. I am now mostly mesh-free. I say mostly because the arms of the bladder sling are still in BUT they have not given me any problems at all. I know I am lucky/ blessed/ whatever you want to call it. Both surgeons were leery or wary of removing those arms near the obturator nerve of the bladder because they said the nerve damage could be nasty. I agreed and am glad because I have read of cases that seem to bear that out. Some women have had terrible pain when they've had their mesh removed from that area and it may be because of nerve damage. However, they've also had awful pain because the mesh WAS damaging that area, too. It's been an awful dilemma no matter what route they've chosen.

It's been a difficult road to have mesh and have mesh removals but I'm in a very good place now and I'm extremely glad I had all the possible mesh removed from me by an experienced surgeon. I think that was the key. I only regret that I let my 1st doctor do the first removals. He was a nice person BUT he didn't know how to do removals. Niceness does NOT count in this business. Experience does.

I hope you find the best solution for you. May you heal fast and be pain-free ASAP.

Unread 02-19-2011, 02:25 PM

Hello OrahDeb - Sorry I haven't kept in touch. Been kind of down in the dumps. I've had a UTI since surgery. I saw my dr last week and I think he wasn't going to tell me about the mesh left in me. Thigh and pelvis. When I asked him(saw the surgical report) he said it wouldn't cause any problem??? I've been on 4 different antibiodies and nothing works. I dont think the mesh has anything to do with the infection, The lab tests showed 2 different bacteria. (not at the same time). Anyway, I'm looking for a second opinion and I'm feeling sorry for myself. Estherrae

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register