Premarin - Need alternative | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Premarin -  Need alternative Premarin - Need alternative

Unread 01-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Premarin - Need alternative

I just found out what premarine is made of. Not only that, but premarin can cause strokes, blood clots, breast cancer and dementia. Does anyone know of an alternative treatment that's natural?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Re: Premarin - Need alternative

Hi!

There are plenty of alternatives to using Premarin for hormone therapy and you'll find that all of them are going to come with a list of possible side effects. While it's true that Premarin is made from the urine of pregnant mares, it doesn't actually contain urine. Many women find that Premarin is the only hormone therapy that works for them so we're supportive of their choice, just as we support all women in their choice of hormone therapy, even if they chose to use nothing. (How Premarin is made is considered a hot topic on this site and not allowed per the site guidelines.) We'll keep the focus on finding alternatives for you to consider.

When you ask about an alternative treatment that is natural, do you mean something that isn't a hormone therapy product such as over-the-counter supplements, or are you looking for recommendations for bio-identical hormones? Knowing your preference will help us when responding to your question.

Unread 01-31-2011, 01:34 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by bio-identical hormones? I try to stay away from chemicals when possible, or anything that states any severe side effects. While I understand there are possible side effects to almost everything, surely there is something that does not state dimentia, breast cancer, and strokes as the possible side effects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2011, 01:45 PM

Bio-identical estrogen is derived from plant sources (yams and soy) and is made to be a duplicate of an estrogen the ovaries made. So, they're as natural to the body as the hormones the ovaries made. For example, the Vivelle Dot I use is bio-identical estradiol, estradiol being one of three estrogens made by the ovaries. The other two are estriol and estrone.

You can read more about all estrogen types in the "Estrogen Choices" articles in this link: Hormone Jungle Articles.

Other "natural" supplements are natural to nature but not to the human body. You can explore the option of using something like black cohosh, for example.

I think discussing the pros and cons of hormone therapy with your doctor would be a good idea.

Unread 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM

Thank you for the info, I'm definitely going to talk to my doctor. I wanted to have some information ahead of time so I know what I can tell him that I would like to try. Thanks again, I will check out the article in the link.
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingmecrazy View Post
Does anyone know of an alternative treatment that's natural?
My gynecologist prescibes Vivelle Dot and also injectable hormone pellets. I'm doing well on the patch. Hope this helps.
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingmecrazy View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by bio-identical hormones? I try to stay away from chemicals when possible, or anything that states any severe side effects. While I understand there are possible side effects to almost everything, surely there is something that does not state dimentia, breast cancer, and strokes as the possible side effects.
All hrts list breast cancer and strokes as possible side effects including all the bio-identical ones.
All of them are chemically made in a lab so none are really natural to the body.
I was on Premarin for 16yrs but chose to stop it as it was causing heartburn.
I wish you luck.
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:37 PM

April Dawn- When I was on Premarin, years ago, I decided to break one of the pills in half. It does smell like urine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register